Where to find a metric hex grub screw for a Taurus PT-917c front sight blade (3mm - X?)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    Anyone know a decent hardware store in MoCo that's likely to have a Metric 3mm, black, grub screw? The sight screw was locked in the sight blade and the blade was loose in the dovetail. Neither soaking in Kroil, nor heat was able to loosen it. I was able to drill it out without damaging the threads in the blade but neither Taurus USA, nor Taurus Brazil, were able to help with the screw dimensions or specs. I believe it's 3mm in diameter based on test fitting a grub screw at the local ACE store, but the thread pitch was wrong. I don't know the exact size and thread pitch, so a brick and mortar shop where I could test fit the screw on the sight blade would be preferable to an online store, but if you're unaware of a local shop, then feel free to recommend an online source.

Thanks in advance for the help, and a safe weekend for all!

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Where are you in moco? ACE would prob only carry the standard M3x0.5 'coarse' thread pitch. I'm not sure I have any of the 'fine' 0.35 pitch. You're probably going to have to order from Amazon or McMaster. Good you didn't force the wrong one in.

And are you SURE its not imperial? Some companies like to mix stuff. A #4 is almost a dead ringer for a M3 diameter.

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    I'm in Germantown. I'm not 100% sure of the specs, but a mechanic friend tried a metric 3mm tap and said his thread pitch was wrong and recommended I try some local stores. He wrote down on a little piece of paper the size he thought would work but it's been months and I can't find the paper. I'm also not sure it's metric, but have read that Taurus uses metric screws, and my friend said he thought it was 3mm. If I can't locate a decent stocking shop, I'll look for a kit with different sizes online.

Thanks for the quick reply!

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Companies that are metric still use imperial on occasion. The PVS-2 night vision tube for example. 100% metric dimensions. The little screw that goes in the side for the positive terminal? #3-48 x 5.0mm deep. WTF!?!?

The sights may very well be reused/compatible w/ a 1911 or something and they brought the old screw along over in the design. So just don't rule it out. Crazier things have happened.

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    Definitely a WTF thing! IIRC a '94 Ford Mustang GT I owned a few years ago had both metric and inch bolts. I'm sure Taurus uses the same screw on a number of guns but unfortunately they weren't willing to help with the dimensions.

A decent tap and die set is on the WTB list, but since I rarely need one, it's always low on the list.

Thanks again, and have a safe weekend!

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Do NOT use a tap to test threads. It can accidentally start to cut and then you are F'ed. Plus taps that even match may cut a larger tolerance than the hole is already threaded for. Running an H3 tap into an H2 hole is just setting yourself back.

JRSMD

Sep 4, 2013
    Derwood
    You might try Christopher’s Hardware
    500 Olney Sandy Spring Rd
    Sandy Spring, MD 20860
    They are a small hardware store but have a very large selection of hard to find screws and hard to find bolts and miscellaneous pieces like what you are looking for. The store is very organized and well stocked .

motox79

May 24, 2010
    damascus
    There’s a local hardware store right up the road from you in Damascus that has an impressive amount of hardware. Hyatt True Value 26200 Ridge Rd. Damascus. Open 10-2 on sundays if you venture out there tomorrow…..

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Interesting. I never heard of the term "grub screw". I always called those set screws.

Good luck in your search.
    Same here. I had to look it up.

However, they most often do not have heads and consist entirely of threaded shaft. (This is probably why they're called "grub screws" in the UK, as a headless set screw can be said to resemble bug larvae.)

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    Thank you all for the suggestions! I'd forgotten about Christopher's; been there once, by chance, and really liked the store! If I have time, I'll try to stop by the Hyatt True Value this week!

No damage was done to the sight when the tap was started, but my mechanic friend did say he could easily rethread it to something more common for which he had screws.

A safe week to all, and thanks again for the feedback!

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    Great idea. I also use McMasterCarr a lot, and belmetric.com (you can actually order ONE thing from belmetric)

Another one that I wasn't familiar with added to the list. Even if I don't use these shops for this screw, I'm sure they will come handy in the future.

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom