Where in Maryland do you 3 gun shooter practice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tapeman1

Ultimate Member
    Aug 31, 2012
    Severna Park, MD
    Where in Maryland do you 3 gun shooters practice?

I think I'd like to get into 3 gun next year when the weather clears up. It looks like a really good time. I'm wondering where you guys practice though. I've never been to a range that had that kind of setup.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I think I'd like to get into 3 gun next year when the weather clears up. It looks like a really good time. I'm wondering where you guys practice though. I've never been to a range that had that kind of setup.

surely cant practice for scenarios.. each match is different. (just my observance after shooting my first one couple weeks back).

as long you know how your firearm works and work on reloading, changing mags etc.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    I practice some things in my basement. Like mag changes, holster draws and shotgun loading (with snap caps) Other than that it is mostly learning what works and what doesn't at the matches. Learn and get better for the next one.

OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    I practice some things in my basement. Like mag changes, holster draws and shotgun loading (with snap caps) Other than that it is mostly learning what works and what doesn't at the matches. Learn and get better for the next one.

that's exactly what I used to do. I would line up mags on my hip, holster the weapon .. then run a drill that was basically.

Draw weapon
    Fire snap cap
    Change mag
    Rack Weapon
    Fire snap cap
    Holster weapon

Rinse repeat

The only caveat was that I put guide rod laser in on mine and would basically point it at paper targets on the wall in various locations to "simulate" movement

hornet

Feb 20, 2012
    Severn, Maryland
    im looking exactly at the same thing i just got my first ar, and im planning to go to DELMARVA where they have plenty of room to do that kind of shooting and draw from holster, i'm planning to go this sunday if you want to join and help with the gas then PM. is far but is worthed, i think since there is no other place. i will try to build some stands out of 2 x 4's, and already ordered some ammo...

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Ditto on the living room. Most of my USPSA techniques evolved there. And at least at the Monocacy Pistol club you can draw and shoot your pistol, plus shoot steel w/shotgun and bird shoot. To use your AR you need a .22 conversion or just get a S&W 15-22 and set it up like your 3-gun AR (have done both). Some of use are looking to do a possible regular private 2-gun rimfire match in 2013. Reason it would be private is invitation only, which gives us some additional leeway we would not have in a public scheduled match. Then you could use both rifle and pistol w/22 conversions if you like. We have done a couple of private USPSA steel/paper matches in previous years. If it does come to pass it would be staged guns only.
    I have a fellow competitor like me that started shooting 3-gun near the end of this year. He has a farm where he has plowed a couple of shooting bays into a hillside, right now more for sighting in use but who knows.
    Either way when ever a local USPSA/IDPA club has shotgun/rifle side matches I shoot them. I plan on attending as many Peacemaker/Summit Point/York multigun matches as I can in 2013.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    finding place and time for real practice is very hard. i pretty much just use the current match as practice for the next one. as noted, shotgun reloading is by far the #1 time killer. that is something you can practice in your home. you can find some training tips on the internet. you definitely want to know for sure your rifle zero out to at least 300 yds, including scope offset at close range.

a lot of it is mental and memory. especially juggling 3 guns you need to have a firm game plan in place for each stage.

i wouldn't get too carried away with practice or loading up on guns and gear. do a couple of matches and you'll get a feel for where you could do better and gear that you really need. pay attention to the fast/good guys and try to see the 'shortcuts' they're taking.

have fun!

tapeman1

Ultimate Member
    Aug 31, 2012
    Severna Park, MD
    im looking exactly at the same thing i just got my first ar, and im planning to go to DELMARVA where they have plenty of room to do that kind of shooting and draw from holster, i'm planning to go this sunday if you want to join and help with the gas then PM. is far but is worthed, i think since there is no other place. i will try to build some stands out of 2 x 4's, and already ordered some ammo...

That's a great range. I was just there on Friday with my new AR, otherwise I'd go with you.

Which AR did you get? I got the Diamondback DB15. I've only gotten to shoot it that one time - 140 rounds - but it shot great. Smooooth as butta.

Just a Guy at the Range

Dec 13, 2011
    real close to MD is a little place I like to call my second home, York IWLA, located 15 min north of MD/PA line off of RT 83, . We host multigun matches, and we allow members to practice all the same skills live fire, you just need to bring your own props. Check out our blog for current events www.yorkpistol.blogspot.com, and our website for club info WWW.yorkiwla.org.

New member orientation Dec 1.

g

real close to MD is a little place I like to call my second home, York IWLA, located 15 min north of MD/PA line off of RT 83, . We host multigun matches, and we allow members to practice all the same skills live fire, you just need to bring your own props. Check out our blog for current events www.yorkpistol.blogspot.com, and our website for club info WWW.yorkiwla.org.

New member orientation Dec 1.

g

Hmm..

Kjdowning18

Oct 23, 2012
    Red Lion, PA
    Yea yea u slid that one in there George.... But if will be much easier for
    You to do the ass kissing from behind me in the standings!!! All kidding aside I can't Waite to shoot some 3gun this year!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom