• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Where did you first discover/join MSI?

• Gun Show

Votes: 5 7.8%
    • MDS

Votes: 45 70.3%
    • Facebook (Twitter, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • A friend told me (like, actual human interaction?--eww!)

Votes: 2 3.1%
    • MGA/Annapolis

Votes: 3 4.7%
    • MS-What?

Votes: 1 1.6%
    • Other: Please 'splain.

Votes: 8 12.5%

• Total voters

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Well..."MS-what?" indeed...:tap:

ETA: Oh, there are some votes. I thought there would have been some kind of notification and assumed that no one even looked at the thread :o

Carry on! :mdpatriot

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I discovered mds when years ago was thinking foolishly one could get a carry permit in MD.
    A search let me to here. Once I discovered how hard the then near impossible chance of getting one this forum directed me to a link to MSI.
    MSI along with being a member here showed me the plight of gun owners in this liberal state.

It actually convinced me to switch voter registration to a dirty Demirat ( yes I took multiple showers to wash smell off me after switching) as before hand never knew local politics along with voting in a closed primary( always registered indepentand) which means nothing here when it comes to voting.)
    It changed my entire political views and continues to do so.
    Thank you mds and MSI for opening my mind what little there is of it
    So there’s that

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Looking back, looks like I got added as an executive member to the list Nov 19, 2008. I met some of the guys during dc heller things, the mga testifying, and at old frostbite shoots. We had a couple meetings at AAF&G and then MSI grew quickly under new, taller, leadership and a partnership with mdshooters. It went from a couple people running stuff to a properly organized nonprofit with an organizational system that decentralized workload a bit and allowed for a continuation of msi if leadership left for one reason or another.

It's cool to see it as a highly respected 2a group, doing lots of important work. A lot of good people made it happen.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Looks like I joined about ten years and twenty days ago.

I seem to recall that there was a vetting process in place at the time; took a while to get cleared for entry.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    It was a dark and stormy night. The wind was blowing like only an Annapolis gale can blow when the legislature creeps into session. My hackles rose as I heard footsteps behind me. A surly looking man, probably Jewish, emerged from the shadows and said I should kill myself if I didn’t join MSI or at least share a Hamentashen to prove my mettle. Then, like a shadow he was gone. I’m told you can sometimes head his voice late at night, raffling off door prizes at the gates of doom.

Or maybe I just found their web site. It was one of those two.

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    I first learned about it here, but have been glad to see advertisement or representation for MSI at different ranges stores, and guns shows recently.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I joined in 2005, not long after Henry Heymering and two other gents created MSI. My sponsor was Mark Wilson. As such, I got to see MSI grow into the premier gun advocacy dynamo it has become.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I stumbled into it back in 2011, in 2013, I was bamboozled into my subsiquent position.

Yes, I would do it again.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Looking back, looks like I got added as an executive member to the list Nov 19, 2008. I met some of the guys during dc heller things, the mga testifying, and at old frostbite shoots. We had a couple meetings at AAF&G and then MSI grew quickly under new, taller, leadership and a partnership with mdshooters. It went from a couple people running stuff to a properly organized nonprofit with an organizational system that decentralized workload a bit and allowed for a continuation of msi if leadership left for one reason or another.

It's cool to see it as a highly respected 2a group, doing lots of important work. A lot of good people made it happen.
    Thanks dude.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I joined in 2005, not long after Henry Heymering and two other gents created MSI. My sponsor was Mark Wilson. As such, I got to see MSI grow into the premier gun advocacy dynamo it has become.

It was a pleasure to serve with you (in such a manner, not in the military manner; my apologies for potential confusion), sir.

I stumbled into it back in 2011, in 2013, I was bamboozled into my subsiquent position.

Yes, I would do it again.

My sincere thanks for following us. You did well more than your fair share.
    Thanks dude.

Speaking of fair shares, have you hired an attorney to get a few bucks from every idiot with an MD permit these days?

Also, do you accept PP/VM/Zelle? :)
    When did MSI and MDS become a couple?

It was when I got here….

I would never have heard of MSI without MDS. I'm a bad person and not at all the social type (he was always so quiet...), but you and I met a lot of very good people in those days. I know I'm better for it.

Open Holster Rally .

Really? Well done, sir. My fat belly was on the news when it was covered, presumably because my gut offered the most real estate for the camera shot.

Thankfully the cameraman and/or the editor was/were wise enough to keep my face out of view. TV cameras are expensive, presumably.

Edit: if you got a t-shirt that day, there's an excellent chance that you got it from me.

Last edited:

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    When did MSI and MDS become a couple?

It was when I got here….
    It was sorta/kinda from the very beginning because there was a need for something more than an email list and I got Don to set up a private room here.

In 2005, it wasn't as easy as now to have that kind of communication access. We take it for granted now, but 18 years ago it just wasn't as easy, and the Leadership at the time was not super savvy in emerging tech.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It was sorta/kinda from the very beginning because there was a need for something more than an email list and I got Don to set up a private room here.

In 2005, it wasn't as easy as now to have that kind of communication access. We take it for granted now, but 18 years ago it just wasn't as easy, and the Leadership at the time was not super savvy in emerging tech.
    :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom