Where can I learn more about which shotgun to purchase?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    OP - Buy a gun based on what you're going to use it for the most. In your case it would be a Trap gun. You said you want an autoloader, so there are two choices, either a Remington 1100 Trap or a Beretta 391 Trap. The 1100 is an older design, recoils less and extra bbls are a lot cheaper. The down side is that you need to clean it more often than you need to clean a Beretta. But, that's not a big issue because unless you shoot doubles, Trap is a one shot game. Don't let people lead you to think that field guns make good Trap guns - they don't. Feel free to PM me with questions. I've been shooting Trap and other clay target games since 1960 and have a handle on the equipment end.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    OP - Buy a gun based on what you're going to use it for the most. In your case it would be a Trap gun. You said you want an autoloader, so there are two choices, either a Remington 1100 Trap or a Beretta 391 Trap. The 1100 is an older design, recoils less and extra bbls are a lot cheaper. The down side is that you need to clean it more often than you need to clean a Beretta. But, that's not a big issue because unless you shoot doubles, Trap is a one shot game. Don't let people lead you to think that field guns make good Trap guns - they don't. Feel free to PM me with questions. I've been shooting Trap and other clay target games since 1960 and have a handle on the equipment end.

Yup. What he said.
    Blackthorne...Have you shot the new Fabarm XLR that is being sold through Guerini? You should...no maybe you shouldn't, cause then you'll want one:)

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Just to weigh in....I have an 870 with an 18" barrel for home defense and a 28" barrel for trap/sleet and someday bird hunting.

There are so many different ways to configure the 870, you wont get bored. The value for the money is outstanding.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    It's a bitch shooting simo pairs or trap doubles with a pump.

but can be done.

and if he decides to get serious after doing it a lot then he can get the gun made for it.

Did I mention an 870 w/ two barrels yet.
    I do quite well with my 870 on the trap range for as little as I go.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I know a 12 year old boy that would disagree with that expert opinion! :D

I know a 65 yr old man with arthritis who won't shoot against a 12 yr old boy.

Let's get real though. I have never seen anyone seriously shooting registered targets in the ATA, or NSAA shooting a pump. You can dig a house foundation with a shovel, and I'm sure they did in pioneer days, but why would you?
    And, if you are just doing it for fun, it's much more rewarding, to me, to shoot using an elegant machine in lieu of a shovel. An 870 puts lead down range same as a Perazzi, but the Perazzi does it with style. Let's see how many 870s are at the Olympics.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    For a cost-effective multi-tasker you probably can't beat an 870 with a couple of barrels. A pump is fine for trap and, with practice, certainly be used for the other clay games. Some of the best skeet shooters that ever shot used pump guns.

Loch Raven Skeet & Trap has Beretta & Bennelli shotguns as rentals. You can certainly shoot those there to see if you like them. And I've not met anyone who wouldn't let you try out their gun if you asked.

jcrusselljr

Aug 28, 2011
    I'm just worried how long it would take me to switch barrels during a home invasion...

;-)

Seriously, thanks for the replies so far. My thinking is tending towards an 870 variety as a "starter" gun until I can figure out which semi-auto is right for me. At that time I can refit the 870 as a dedicated HD option.

Was hoping to buy right and cry once but it seems an unrealistic option to try and expect a single option for trap AND home defense.

Thanks again for the guidance.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    One of the most important things about choosing a shotgun hasn't been mentioned.

I agree that you should buy a shotgun suited for your needs. If you are looking for a dual purpose gun the Remington 1100 will serve you well. With the right barrel and stock combination it can be used for Trap/Skeet/Sporting Clays and even home defense.

That one thing not mentioned is GUN FIT. A shotgun must fit you if you want to be successful at any of the Clay games. One of the great things available to shooters is an adjustable stock. Remember that when shooting a shotgun at a moving target, the target is your front sight and your head is the rear sight. If the gun does not fit you properly your success will be limited at best.

At one time I shot at 50 to 100 Sporting Clays targets each week. My best round was 49 out of 50. Never perfect but not bad for a casual weekend shooter. I averaged 47 out of 50. My gun a Franchi Sporting SL over under. I shoot well because the gun fit.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I would recommend a gas-operated semi-auto like the Remington 1100/1187 or the Beretta 390/391. If you buy one in trap or sporting configuration you can always pick up a second short barrel for HD duty (spare barrels are relatively inexpensive and easy to change out). A semi will be more versatile should you decide to go hunting or shoot one of the other clays games (or trap double). You will also appreciate the decreased recoil when shooting multiple rounds.

Shotgun World is a great reference and a search of your question is likely to bring up multiple past discussions on the topic.

jcrusselljr

Aug 28, 2011
    I would recommend a gas-operated semi-auto like the Remington 1100/1187 or the Beretta 390/391. If you buy one in trap or sporting configuration you can always pick up a second short barrel for HD duty (spare barrels are relatively inexpensive and easy to change out). A semi will be more versatile should you decide to go hunting or shoot one of the other clays games (or trap double). You will also appreciate the decreased recoil when shooting multiple rounds.

Shotgun World is a great reference and a search of your question is likely to bring up multiple past discussions on the topic.

Thanks for the shotgun world link -- this will help.

Several strong recommendations for the 1100, but no peeps about the versa-max....just lacking the amount of history that the 1100 has, or is it something else?

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Yup. What he said.
    Blackthorne...Have you shot the new Fabarm XLR that is being sold through Guerini? You should...no maybe you shouldn't, cause then you'll want one:)

No, never had my hands on one. The only autos I shoot todays are a 391 Sporter for rare 3 bird events and a 391 Field for waterfowl. I'll consider something else in about 100 years. when they begin to wear.

720Deere

Dec 6, 2009
    Thanks for the shotgun world link -- this will help.

Several strong recommendations for the 1100, but no peeps about the versa-max....just lacking the amount of history that the 1100 has, or is it something else?

The 1100 definitely has a strong background. There are probably nearly as many people that hate as there are those who love them. The Versa Max hasn't been around very long. I almost bought one for my son but ended up with a Winchester SX3 after I actually got to hold a Versa Max. That has to be the most clunky, toy feeling action I have ever seen on a gun.

It is just my opinion, but I don't foresee the Versa Max being even a 50,000 round gun let alone a 100,000 round gun. They may prove me wrong, but I wasn't impressed in the least. The SX3 has proven to be a very reliable, well balanced and easily maintained gun. It requires more cleaning effort than my Benelli, but it also offers less recoil and a little more reliability with light loads.

jcrusselljr

Aug 28, 2011
    A major shout-out and thanks to mdshooter member grb for inviting a friend and me to come out and try the plethora of shotguns he made available for us to try.

I really, truly, appreciate his kindness in sharing his knowledge, and the opportunity to test drive several of the shotguns there tonight.

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!

Thanks ever so much grb, I definitely owe you one!

I think I am leaning towards that 870....just needed to actually shoot it to mentally close the sale on it. I do want an auto loader eventually, but for the price, I don't know how you can go wrong with the 870, given its strong reputation.

If this were a game show, I'd elect to give grb a bonus of 10,000 points.....you rock!

Thanks also to those that have given their guidance here. The many votes for the 870 strongly influenced me, and like I said, I just needed to shoot it alongside the others to get comfortable with that choice.

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom