When were assault rifles originally regulated in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Do you mean "when did MD start to regulate semi-automatic rifles?"

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It could have been earlier, but I did not have any regulated long gun purchases prior to 1994.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Gov. William Donald Shaefer. Anyone remember the rally where people were being photographed and investigated by the MSP? I was at that rally and I remember when the person taking the pictures was ID'd by someone in the crowd.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    I stand corrected. For some reason, I seemed to recall the wait coinciding with the mandatory 7 day wait between private sales, which occurred in '96. I just had a customer in on Saturday who was worried because he "never did the paperwork" on a gun he acquired from his father in 1983; I subsequently explained how this wasn't required until 1996, hence my erroneous train of thought on the regulated long guns.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The *assult weapons* came two years after the ban on private sales.

Gov Erlich ran on a 10 Point Plan for Md. Point #10 was 2A oriented , a total review of Md gun laws , to scrap those that didn't work , or infringed rights.

Alas , his whole term in office , he was fruitlessly working on point #1 , and never got past that. His initial choice to head MSP was cought up in a corruption scandal , and his last second replacement was majorly anti-gun , but had no record of being corrupt.

Erlich ( inbetween saying and doing stupid stuff ) bent over backwards to try to be bipartisan with GA , to both try to pass his agenda , and make himself reelectable. Zero progress was made on either.

I was fond of pointing out that if Erlich simply accepted his election was an accident , and stop being Mr unsuccuessful suckup , he could have gone full hatchet man , and acomplished at least somthing. If he was more concerned about doing the right thing instead of trying and failing to be accepted by the Dems , he could have made Md de facto Shall Issue in a matter of hours.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No, the ban on private sales (without MSP clearance) of regulated firearms was Oct 96. And regulated long guns were at least 2 years BEFORE that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom