When were assault rifles originally regulated in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Assault weapons were banned federally in 1994, but the ban was lifted in 2004, so I'd imagine the regulated list would have had to be adopted after 2004.

Regulated list was adopted in the 90's along with everyone else, as Lou mentioned above (and a better source than me) 1996.

Thanks for the assist Lou. :party29:

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    OK, now I'm confused...."assault weapons" (ar-15, ak-47, etc.) were banned at the federal level from 1994 to 2004, so they could not be sold as regulated firearms in MD before 2004.

I guess my question is not when was the list compiled (seems it was based on the fed's banned list), but when did MD adopt it as a regulated firearms list once the federal ban was lifted in 2004?

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    OK, now I'm confused...."assault weapons" (ar-15, ak-47, etc.) were banned at the federal level from 1994 to 2004, so they could not be sold as regulated firearms in MD before 2004.

I guess my question is not when was the list compiled (seems it was based on the fed's banned list), but when did MD adopt it as a regulated firearms list once the federal ban was lifted in 2004?

Forget the Federal aspect of it if you want the Maryland aspect as there really is no connection between the two entities and laws when it comes right down to it. The MD aspect was enacted in 1996.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD

Paris Glendening was in office at the time. Beginning in 1996, all the pre ban "assault weapons" were sold as regulated firearms in MD, as well as the ban compliant versions of those rifles sold between 94-04. After the federal ban sunset, all newly manufactured evil rifles that were on the list were treated the same way. To clarify, any weapon on the MD regulated firearms list has been regulated since 1996, regardless of the date of the weapon's manufacture. A federal ban compliant SAR-1 made in 2000 was and is still regulated in MD.

Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The key point is that the Federal law didn't ban any guns. It just banned features. Older guns were grandfathered, new guns were made with different features.

The Maryland list regulated specific guns or groups of guns by name.

Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    Paris Glendening was in office at the time. Beginning in 1996, all the pre ban "assault weapons" were sold as regulated firearms in MD, as well as the ban compliant versions of those rifles sold between 94-04. After the federal ban sunset, all newly manufactured evil rifles that were on the list were treated the same way. To clarify, any weapon on the MD regulated firearms list has been regulated since 1996, regardless of the date of the weapon's manufacture. A federal ban compliant SAR-1 made in 2000 was and is still regulated in MD.

This sounds right. I bought a ban-compliant AK in late 1994 that was not a regulated firearm in Maryland at the time.

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    Got it. The reason I ask is that I was trying to figure out if Ehrlich(R) did anything positive for gun rights. Obviously not. He simply left things to the status quo. Makes me wonder even if we get a Republican in the governors office, whether anything will be done in MD about our 2nd amendment rights.
    I doubt anyone has the balls to run in MD as pro 2nd amendment. Seems like the 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th amendments are going the way of the Whig party. Maybe I should buy some extra beds in case we loose the 3rd as well.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I hate to disagree with some of the people here. But from my records, I clearly purchased long guns as regulated in 1994. I have a Form 77R (rev.1-93) for a regulated firearm I purchased on 9-2-1994 and picked up on 10-8-1994

The Federal "ban" did little to ban most firearms, as they did some by name (rename and OK) or others based on evil features, so remove the bayonet lug and you were good to go.

Also, firearms manufactured pre-ban, were allowed to be sold. IIRC, some manufacturers made a LOT of receivers, so could continue to sell the guns they had made.

It was the same law that banned certain pistols as "assault pistols."

August 1, 1994 was when it went into affect.

scottp999

Feb 11, 2008
    Agree with Pinecone.

Looks like a waiting period started in 1989:

http://www.heritage.org/research/commentary/2003/01/maryland-firing-blanks
    http://www.ceasefiremd.org/stategunlaws.html

This was the link I found on the 1996, bill unfortunately the download links are dead.

In the Baltimore Sun article nothing mentioned about regulation of Assault Rifles in the 1996 law, or at the MD bill summary link further down:

http://mgadls.state.md.us/1996rs/billfile/sb0215.htm

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1996-03-30/news/1996090019_1_gun-control-gun-owners-glendening/2

There is a good summary of the 1996 bill still available at: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/Pubs/LegisLegal/1996rs-wrap-up-1996-14.pdf

Looks like they even tried what they passed this year (licensing, finger prints, and training) back then:

The Maryland Gun violence Act of 1996 (SB 215/HB 297) passed, after provisions to require licensing of handgun buyers, safety training, and fingerprinting for criminal background checks were amended out by the Senate. The gun control legislation will:

limit handgun purchases to one per person per month;

prohibit "straw purchases" in which someone buys a gun for a person who isn't allowed to own
    one;

require criminal background checks and a 7-day waiting period for people who buy handguns
    from private individuals----the same requirements for guns bought from dealers;

prohibit handgun sales to people who have protective orders filed against them in civil court;

allow police responding to a domestic violence call to temporarily remove guns from the
    house;

allow gun dealers to fax applications for background checks to State police to speed the
    process;

make its specific offense to disarm a police officer; and

create a specific penalty for firing a gun from a motor vehicle.

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    Got it. The reason I ask is that I was trying to figure out if Ehrlich(R) did anything positive for gun rights. Obviously not. He simply left things to the status quo. Makes me wonder even if we get a Republican in the governors office, whether anything will be done in MD about our 2nd amendment rights.
    also MIGHT be worth remembering what constituted the legislature at the time and/or how often his vetoes were overturned

scottp999

Feb 11, 2008
    Just pulled paperwork from my first 2 gun purchases in July of 1992. Done on 2 separate, Maryland State Police, Application to Purchase A Regulated Firearm , "MSP Form 77R (Rev. 7-91)" forms.

One was an "Assault Weapon". (Long gun)

The, please read the following before signing this form, section starts with talking about Annotated Code of Maryland, Article 27, sections 441-448: ..."prohibits the purchase of a Pistol, Revolver, or Assault Weapon as those terms are defined in section 441..."

Lists the disqualifying areas, and then the last sentence: "I CERTIFY THAT I am not prohibited by law from purchasing or possessing a pistol or revolver OR ASSAULT WEAPON".

The Bold and Caps are as they show on the form.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Forget the Federal aspect of it if you want the Maryland aspect as there really is no connection between the two entities and laws when it comes right down to it. The MD aspect was enacted in 1996.

I hate to disagree with some of the people here. But from my records, I clearly purchased long guns as regulated in 1994. I have a Form 77R (rev.1-93) for a regulated firearm I purchased on 9-2-1994 and picked up on 10-8-1994

The Federal "ban" did little to ban most firearms, as they did some by name (rename and OK) or others based on evil features, so remove the bayonet lug and you were good to go.

Also, firearms manufactured pre-ban, were allowed to be sold. IIRC, some manufacturers made a LOT of receivers, so could continue to sell the guns they had made.

It was the same law that banned certain pistols as "assault pistols."

August 1, 1994 was when it went into affect.

Based on Pinecone's post, I'm starting to have reservations about the 1996 post I made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom