When is the Snow Gonna Fly in Deep Creek? -> Karma Contest!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Well, now... After re-reading recent posts I have a karma rules exception decision to make:

Based on the updated karma rules I posted on Jan 6 (because the snow hasn't flown) --- and because the good faith predictions quoted in the posts below by both Overboost44 and hitwtom who wanted to place their bets on Jan 18 --- I made an executive Hooligan decision.

Their predictions would be disqualified under the karma rules because they were not made >14 days in advance. However, Jan 18, 2016 would have been my Mom's 87th birthday - her picture is below.

With all that said and in fairness: If the snow flies on Jan 18, both predictions will stand and both predictors will receive the karma prize.

Also, each of their alternate prediction dates remain valid.

My mother was one of a kind. She would have wanted it that way...

:thumbsup:

As stated in my post my revised guess it the 27th. I only threw in the 18th in there since some of my research showed that day. If it happens give Overboost44 the Karma, he picked that date first.

God bless your mom.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Could this be the 3" event we've been waiting for to close out the karma?

:shrug:

Please correct me if I missed it, but no one that I can find in the thread predicted Jan 12. However we have protegeV's prediction of Jan 13.

I don't plan on staying up overnight tomorrow (Jan 12) to measure the snowfall. But I'll monitor it until about 10 PM. Depending on what happens - if it happens - I'll use my judgement to fairly call 3" by early Wednesday morning.

In the meantime I'm told by Mrs. J they are making a lot of snow at the WISP. Whatever natural snow falls will augment their efforts. They are open for skiing! :party29:

From the NWS 01/11/2016 @ 5:45PM:
    • Tonight: A chance of snow, mainly after 2am. Increasing clouds, with a temperature falling to near 16 by 8pm, then rising to around 26 during the remainder of the night. Southwest wind 8 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
    • Tuesday: Snow showers. Temperature rising to near 28 by 10am, then falling to around 18 during the remainder of the day. Breezy, with a southwest wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
    • Tuesday Night: Snow showers likely, mainly before 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 6. Wind chill values as low as -11. Breezy, with a west wind 16 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
    • Wednesday: A chance of snow showers, mainly before 9am. Partly sunny, with a high near 16. Wind chill values as low as -12. West wind 13 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Edit/Update:

Based on the NWS Advisory @ & 7PM tonight... I'm going to call whether or not we reach 3" when the snow event moves out. Looks like some cold sh*t is on its way...

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 5 AM TUESDAY TO 7 AM
    EST WEDNESDAY...
    THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A WINTER
    WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW AND WIND GUSTS...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 5 AM TUESDAY TO 7 AM EST WEDNESDAY.
    * SNOW ACCUMULATION...2 TO 4 INCHES WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS ON THE HIGHEST ELEVATIONS.
    * SNOW BEGINNING...IN THE PREDAWN OF TUESDAY AS LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW.
    * PERIOD OF MOST INTENSE SNOW...9 AM TO 7 PM AS SNOW TRANSITIONS TO HEAVIER SNOW SHOWERS...WHICH WILL CONTINUE INTO THE NIGHT.
    * SNOW ENDING...SNOW SHOWERS WILL DIMINISH THROUGH THE PREDAWN OF WEDNESDAY. WIND CHILL INDICES MAY BE AROUND 10 BELOW ZERO BY THAT TIME.

Last edited:

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    As stated in my post my revised guess it the 27th. I only threw in the 18th in there since some of my research showed that day. If it happens give Overboost44 the Karma, he picked that date first.

God bless your mom.

That's fair, Tom. Jan 18 is still over a week away. We'll see what happens in the meantime.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island

God bless your mom.

That's fair, Tom. Jan 18 is still over a week away. We'll see what happens in the meantime.

No way Tom, yours actually took research! If it comes down to it, you deserve it. Besides, I like you.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    As of 3:30 PM we're making progress, but we haven't reached 3" yet...

:innocent0

Attachments

• Snow Accumulation 01_12_2016 1530 Capture.jpg
      Snow Accumulation 01_12_2016 1530 Capture.jpg
      38 KB · Views: 115

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    There's more snow coming in overnight. We just might make 3" this time...

Attachments

• Snow Squal 1400 11_22_2015 Capture.jpg
      Snow Squal 1400 11_22_2015 Capture.jpg
      35.2 KB · Views: 117

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    3 Inches!

As of 5:05PM Jan 12, 2016 we officially have 3" of snow on my office deck rail.

The Snow has Flown in Deep Creek!

Now the question is what to do about the karma? No one predicted Jan 12! protegeV predicted Jan 13. His prediction was certainly the closest, but being "closest" wasn't part of the original rules. Oops.

I'm thinking two things here:
    - The Winter Weather Advisory about this storm that brought >3" won't be over until 0700 tomorrow -> Jan 13.
    - While "technically" we have the magic number documented, the actual "snow event" of Jan 12-13 is what brought > 3" of snow.

I could call it for protegeV now and be done. But - I'll leave that call up to the OTHER members who made predictions...

The question is: Should protegeV be declared the karma winner based on his prediction?

A simple :thumbsup: or :tdown: will do. I'll tally the thumbs in the morning. If I have no decisions or input either way by 8:00 AM tomorrow, protegeV wins.

So, what say you MDS Members? :shrug:

(Oh, and protegeV, you can't vote...) :lol2:

Attachments

• Snow Accumulation 01_12_2016 1705 Capture.jpg
      Snow Accumulation 01_12_2016 1705 Capture.jpg
      42.6 KB · Views: 109

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member