• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bravo

Bravo
    Feb 18, 2013
    Howard County
    When did handgun registration start in MD? If you hypothetically owned a and gun before that date would it have to be registered? Apologies if this as been asked previously, can't seem to find the info.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Depending on one's interpetation of the doublespeak , if you mean having additional background check performed by State for dealer transactions ( which you can assume are kept forever ) was circa 1972 . The requirement that all private sales must be handled thru a dealer , or the MSP directly , 1996.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Depending on one's interpetation of the doublespeak , if you mean having additional background check performed by State for dealer transactions ( which you can assume are kept forever ) was circa 1972 . The requirement that all private sales must be handled thru a dealer , or the MSP directly , 1996.

I think you may be right on the 1996 date. Do you have any links to confirm it?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I think the 1996 date is correct. I remember being able to sell handguns FTF. So for sake of argument, let's just say 1996 is the date. If a person owns a handgun purchased prior to 1996 FTF or however they received it (as long as it is legal) does it need to be registered under the NEW laws. I have a couple of friends wondering this.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I think the 1996 date is correct. I remember being able to sell handguns FTF. So for sake of argument, let's just say 1996 is the date. If a person owns a handgun purchased prior to 1996 FTF or however they received it (as long as it is legal) does it need to be registered under the NEW laws. I have a couple of friends wondering this.

As far as I can tell no they do not have to be registered if they legally owned them pre-10-1-1996.
    If anyone has information to the contrary I'd love a link to that information.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I agree...Distinctly remember a lot of controversy around that time frame and shortly thereafter (92/93) I bought my first sidearm and had to wait 7 days before I could possess it.

The paperwork and 7 days goes back WELL before then.

I purchased my first handgun in 1977 and this was already the law.

From the link posted above:

Maryland was ahead of the federal government again when, in 1966, it required a seven-day waiting period for gun purchasers, and background checks performed by the Maryland State Police.

scottp999

Feb 11, 2008
    I am recalling 1996 is when they put the stop to private transfers without going through a dealer.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Face to face pistol transfers were OK up to Oct 1996.

Long guns were added to the regulated/background check list in 1989.

During the 1980’s an inordinate number of crimes were being committed with low quality handguns, known as “Saturday Night Specials.” The state legislature banned these weapons, and developed the Handgun Roster Board in 1988.

The board determines what guns can or can’t be sold in Maryland.

The following year, Maryland expanded the seven-day waiting period. This bill added assault rifles, such as the AK-47, to the list of guns that required background checks.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    Jeez. I remember when the 4473 was one yellow piece of paper with about eight yes / no questions (no copies) and the dealer kept that.
    Fill it out for a long gun and walk out. Not even the NICS check. At that same time you could put money down on a handgun, come back to pick it up (sometimes even then it was more than 7 days) and walk out with up to five handguns at once!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom