When carrying: What’s the law say about putting down a suffering deer or other animal if hit in a car accident?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2500yards

Oct 12, 2009
    When carrying: What’s the law say about putting down a suffering deer or other animal if hit in a car accident?

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    When my wife hit a deer a few years ago they had to put it down. I asked if I could take it home and they said no. Not sure what they do with a dead deer, but I was trying to make lemonade from those lemons.

I’m surprised no one was hurt. 70+ MPH going down 795 and smacking a deer is no joke.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Don't know what the law says but I would like to remind the assembled membership that if a fat chick falls over and nobody is there to laugh, it may not have really happened.

On another note, you should probably have a suppressor in the glove box if you like shooting deer on the side of the road.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Many moons ago I saw a deer get hit and it destroyed both rear legs. The cops showed up, monkey county right on the county line. The cop would not shoot the deer, as it was too much paper work if he fired his gun. I happened to have a pistol in the car, which he was not happy about but he let me shoot it to finish it. He would not let me take it home.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    If you have a DNR id number, you can check in your road kill and get a confirmation number, take it to the butcher or whatever. Can't answer about legality of smoking a deer on the side of the road. I'd think its going to be looked at as a case by case basis.

DeadInside

MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2022
    SOMD
    I asked if I could take it home and they said no.

He would not let me take it home.

If you don’t have a DNR ID number you can take a deer you hit with a vehicle but you must get a “Non-Hunting” possession tag to legally possess the deer. The only reason (I can think of) the cop wouldn’t let you take it is maybe they did not have a Non-Hunting tag to write for you. If you take the deer it benefits the State / County by immediately getting it off the road and saving State / County Roads from having to pick it up…

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    If I hit a deer in MoCo I'll take the deer as a tax on DNRs/MoCo lack of population control. How about they reimburse me for vehicle damages too. Everyone I know in MoCo has hit deer. It's super dangerous and expensive.

"Oh it could have gotten you and another motorist killed and did damage to your vehicle? It's not yours to keep." Idiots.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    If I hit a deer in MoCo I'll take the deer as a tax on DNRs/MoCo lack of population control. How about they reimburse me for vehicle damages too. Everyone I know in MoCo has hit deer. It's super dangerous and expensive.

"Oh it could have gotten you and another motorist killed and did damage to your vehicle? It's not yours to keep." Idiots.
    :thumbsup:

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    I ok got a call last year that one of our company trucks had stopped and cut the head off a deer hit by a car in front of everyone.
    Needless to say I had to call the guys and tell please do this off hrs. He said but it was a nice ten point rack.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Many moons ago I saw a deer get hit and it destroyed both rear legs. The cops showed up, monkey county right on the county line. The cop would not shoot the deer, as it was too much paper work if he fired his gun. I happened to have a pistol in the car, which he was not happy about but he let me shoot it to finish it. He would not let me take it home.
    A few years ago I was on my way to work and saw a motorist, an injured deer and a HoCo cop. As I passed, I checked my rear view mirror and saw the cop unholster his side arm and put the poor thing down. Then I passed out of sight.

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    Wife and I have hit a few deer, the one that didn’t run off came home with me. I never considered calling the cops. I probably wouldn’t shoot it on the roadside. Kind of like a cop it might lead to lots of paperwork. Knife would be better suited most of the time.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    I mean we had MCPD put one down a month ago, someone hit and run on a deer, poor thing was dying slowly, the 3 female cops were all afraid to do it, then a male cop showed up, asked us to block the road on the other side and he popped the deer, then we helped drag to the side of the road, hosed off the blood and carried on

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I have seen on two occasions deer hit and still alive. DNR would have to finish it off. They gave me one of them because the car owner didnt want it. Cop gave me some paper saying it was given to me so It was not in illegal possession.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I choose to slit the throat, done it twice with road hit deer and I wouldn't bother to take it to a butcher, mine won't take road kill anyway.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I did not know "illegal possession of a deer" is a thing but we all reside within the kings fiefdom so it seems right. I took my niece out on the atv last night to drop corn and holy crap there are so many deer out there, they seem to run in packs of 6. I keep a license current but don't care to shoot fish in a barrel.

To stay on topic, yeah, a knife, that is how my nieces dad taught her as well. and IIRC maybe 6 years ago, AACO officer put one down locally with a pistol, wasn't too concerned with anything.
    Soooo many deer out there!

CaptainAwesome

Jun 1, 2013
    Pikesville MD
    Don't know what the law says but I would like to remind the assembled membership that if a fat chick falls over and nobody is there to laugh, it may not have really happened.

On another note, you should probably have a suppressor in the glove box if you like shooting deer on the side of the road.
    Profound statement...........regarding the big girl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom