• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I forgot to mention Double Action in SS!

The Taurus tracker is about the only one I know of in that price range, it's kinda big, 6.5" barrel and 45oz, only holds 7, but shoots well, and if the trigger is done up, can be a decent plinker/target gun. There isn't a lot to choose from in DA and stainless for $400, the only other one that fits in that criteria is a used S&W317, its an 8 shot j-frame snubby, they tend to go for about $400-$450 depending on condition. The 617s are absolutely awesome, 10shot, extremely accurate, and well built, they come in 4" and 6", and are built on the K-frame, but they start at $500 or so used, and new ones can run $800 or so, it is a much better gun than the Taurus in most every way, and more practical than the 317, it would be well worth $100 more for a used 617 compared to a new Taurus tracker for $400, but used examples are few and far between, people just don't get rid of them, especially now with the ammo situation as it is.

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Stainless DA under $400, you might get the Charter Arms in that range. I've fired 2 of them. One was ok, the other one felt like sand had been poured in the cylander. You'll get what you pay for.

sub-man

Oct 21, 2008
    :thumbsup:I myself being first a smith guy,then a colt guy.I collect 22's and 357's with that being said never fired tracker in 22 but have in 357 was no 586 or python but was so impressed ended up buying one,had Jacks gun works in havredegrace do the trigger(about 60 dollars)and for the money it can't be beat.if the 22 is anything like it you will be more than satisfied.check all 22 used gun not many bargains to be found!!!!!

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    Reminds me of the guy who came to a personal protection class with one in .357. The thing was keyholeing at 15 FEET.

I've got a six inch SS Rossi and with both .357 and .38 I can put them where I want them. Granted, DA is a significantly longer/more pull and bigger chance of wandering than SA. I can make one big hole at 7 yards (no keyholing:rolleyes:) and maybe a 5"/6 shot group at 50 feet.

Mark C

Jul 6, 2008
    That's what I was shopping for awhile back, only DA I could find <$400 was the Taurus 94. Instead I grabbed a 6 1/2" Single Six in gloss stainless for $325. Mine's missing the WMR cylinder, but I was looking for a cheap shooter and WMR ain't it. Picking it up from the shop on Fri, time to find some ammo...

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I've got a six inch SS Rossi and with both .357 and .38 I can put them where I want them. Granted, DA is a significantly longer/more pull and bigger chance of wandering than SA. I can make one big hole at 7 yards (no keyholing:rolleyes:) and maybe a 5"/6 shot group at 50 feet.

5" 6 shot group at 50 feet with a wheelgun? yechk, i'll stay away from that.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

The Rossi's suffer from a complete lack of quality control, worse than their parent company Taurus, you might get a good one, you might get a POS, they are not a bad looking revolver, and a couple I have seen shoot well, others come with serious defects, there are a lot of people at on-target that shoot them, and a 5" group at 50ft standing with a DA is not that bad with any revolver, most of the time you have to clamp a gun in a ransom rest to see how accurate it actually is, but that is not practical for anything other than testing. The grip, trigger, lighting and sights all affect the practical accuracy, you might have a gun that can group 1" at 25 yards from a vise, but have a hard time hitting paper if the gun is tough or uncomfortable to shoot, or you can have a gun that groups 4" at 25 yards, but can shoot within 5" at that distance because of a good trigger and good sights. Rossi doesn't make a 22 revolver however, 38 and 357 only. The Taurus and Charter revolvers have better QC, but the machining is a whole lot rougher, leading to inconsistencies, the S&W and Rugers have much better machining and far superior QC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom