• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    get a h&r ultra slug hunter. ~$250-300 and it'll punch clovers at 100. Orrrrrr you could step up in price to ~500ish for a savage bolt slug gun of one type or another depending on if you want a removeable magazine or not.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    beretta xtrema2 with nikon scope. shot a deer at 80yrds dead on. dropped about 10 yds where i shot it.

edit.. found a pic.. :)

Attachments

• beretta.jpg
      beretta.jpg
      135.8 KB · Views: 537
    Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Dedicated slug gun = Marlin 512 . Smoothbore multipurpose slugs + choke tubes = Win 1200 , iron (rifle) sights.

Recomendation = H&R/ NEF single , either bull bbl , or taper bbl depending on your recoil vs easy to carry all day preference. Either shoot tight groups , one will kick substantially.

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    H&R Ultra Slug in 20 gauge. Four of us in our hunting group have used these for years. In my experience, Lightfield slugs do the best in these guns, typically.

I tried the new 3" lightfields last year, and they grouped even better than the 2-3/4" loads.

I'd love to get a savage bolt gun, but I have never had a reason to upgrade from my H&R. Yes, it is a single shot, but with practice, and slugs at the ready, you can shoot it surprisingly fast. Last year, I managed to take 3 deer at once with four shots. With a shell holder on the stock, reloads are plenty quick.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Dedicated slug gun Remington 1100 12 Ga with a rifled Hastings, 3X9 leupold and Brenneke's. My Grandfather bought it for me when i was a kid. Old school baby slugs that cost 1.25 each. My son shoots the same but in 20 gauge with a Remington rifled barrel.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Mossberg 500, nikon 3-9 slughunter mounted on a cantilever rifled barrel. Hornady sst's. Normal shots with that gun are 50-150 yds. with 100-120 being the most common.

Planning/building a marlin 512 for longer distance. Trigger work, float the barrel, SST's (or the new remingtons when released). Just need to decide on optics now.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    No pics, but my dedicated hunting rig is a Remington 11-87 and Hastings cantilevered scope mount barrel topped by a cheap Simmons 4x30. I use the 3" Winchester BRI slugs. That combo has been spitting out laser beams under 100yds for almost 20yrs. I generally hunt in heavy cover, so the longest shot I've ever made with it was about 120yds (downhill and across a creek).

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    For the money you can not beat the H&R slug gun. Every one I have seen at the range shoots very very tight groups.

The one I have will shoot at 50 yards a group 1.5 inches high from center and keep the holes inside a 1 inch group. At 100 yards the group is the same but 1.5 inches low. These are with 2 3/4 lightfields.

Not bad having a shotgun with the same point of aim all the way out to 100 yards.

I have no idea what it will do past 100yards as my hunting is at very short distances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom