• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    when i was browsing around online for the best cheap 22, everyone pitted the 10/22 against the model 60. I honestly thought that the 795 replaced the Model 60 but it looks like they still make it. do you have any issues with the feed tube?

To the best of my knowledge it's still made. Mine is over 30 years old, hand-me-down, hadn't been cleaned in over 20 years. Never had any issue aside from filth being spit out during ejection, fired every type of .22 Long I've ever fed it.

Complete teardown and detail cleaning, threw a newer scope on it, still one of my more favorite small caliber rifles. Can't beat the price either, the gun or the ammo.

I may have to take it out and get some more time with it, just now remembering it's been a while since I shot it.

toobukume

Feb 19, 2010
    Westminster
    yep. i've fired EVERYTHING thru it. it's no competition gun. i've tried lots of different ammo.

I've manually loaded 22 short for backyard shooting in backyards that shouldn't really be shot in lol.

doesn't matter whether it's winchester 333 or remington 555, even tried federal auto match - it all shoots exactly the same.

but I prefer and the gun is zerod with CCI stinger. It's expensive when it comes to 22 LR but it shoots the fastest out of everything i've ever bought and i have ballistics written down. One set for standard ammo. one set for 22 short. and one for regular ammo. lol. stinger shoots half an inch higher than standard ammo at 25 yards and 2 inches higher at 50 yards - definately got more kick to it. and they sell it at walmart :D

toobukume

Feb 19, 2010
    Westminster
    I have a Puma PPS 22 coming back from Legacy Sports tomorrow (it failed to eject the shells more often than not). I can not wait to see if she is in working order.

There are a few other guys here that love the Puma PPS 22.

started looking at this thing online. looks sweet! bit expensive but i bet it's fun as hell to shoot.

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    Winchester 52

52D variant for competition

52 Sporter variant for hunting and plinking

52C variant for pure awesomeness in design and manufacture

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    started looking at this thing online. looks sweet! bit expensive but i bet it's fun as hell to shoot.

Yeah - they have mixed reviews. A lot of owners were having difficultly with the shells not ejecting properly. I really do hope she works alright when I get her back. I will let everyone know.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    yeah. the only thing i really wish the 795 had was extended magazines. hopefully the aftermarket will have them soon. my brother and I have gone into the woods plinking and always prefered the 795 w/my $30 bushnell 3-9x X 30mm scope that they don't make anymore.

Try this http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0009740426. Of course have them shipped to friend/family in America.

I also think other Marlin mags will work as well.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    Winchester 1890 rules, IMHO. If we're talking bolt rifles, CZ 452. Pistols: S&W K22, pre war.

After many years of experimentation these are the ones I keep coming back to. I set up a 10/22 for my son, which he finds most fun because of the extend mags (Butler Creeks have worked well for us, but I have a bunch of the new factory Ruger hi cap mags waiting for me to pick up out of state...)... but when he really wants to hit what he's shooting at he goes for the CZ too.

YMMV...

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    I've owned both and I think I may be the first person to say I don't care much for the 10/22.

Emphatic agreement. I traded two 10/22s with polymer stocks, an extra barrel, 6 magazines and a speed loader for a 'scoped stainless Marlin Model 60 with a polymer stock and speed loader, and I couldn't be happier. I also have a Marlin 75C and a Winchester 74, and they're all easier to handle and load than the Rugers.

Favorite .22 handgun: old skool Single Six with LR and WMR cylinders. I'll give up all my other guns first.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I don't mind the 10/22, shot a few and they were nice, but for me the old school Model 60 just seems right, it being the FIRST firearm of any kind I ever shot may have something to do with it.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    It's a tough choice figuring out a favorite .22. To me it comes down to the "range flavor of the day". If I'm shooting semi-auto rifles, the Marlin 60 or 10/22 goes. For a lever action day, of course my Henry makes the trip. For a bolt kinda day, I found new respect for my Walmart Savage MKII. I won't call it a "cheap" rifle anymore. It's "economical". :) And it's darn accurate!

There's always a .22 of some sort to take the edge off center fire shooting. And more to choose from in the safe. Heck, for novelty even the old J-22 comes out once in a while.

You simply can't have too many .22's.
    :D

Attachments

• DSC05572.jpg
      DSC05572.jpg
      33.9 KB · Views: 214
    • Savage MK-II Target 09_05_10.jpg
      Savage MK-II Target 09_05_10.jpg
      70.2 KB · Views: 217
    • J22-R-CR.jpg
      J22-R-CR.jpg
      53.5 KB · Views: 213

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    The Marlin Model 60 Tube-fed .22 outsold the 10/22 for many years, not sure if it still does...I could hope, but I doubt it does now. For semi-auto, I'll take my old-school Model 60.

:thumbsup: Couldn't agree more! Got mine in AZ in 1986 and it's still my favorite plinker.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The one I got handed-down was bought sometime in the '70's, for the astounding price of 15 bucks out the door brand new, has some character these days, but still spits lead like a new one. For a general purpose .22LR, can't be beat... IMO.

Sirex