• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amigo109

Jan 25, 2018
    Columbia MD
    A personalized version of this letter will be sent to my delegates, Hogan, State senators. What are your thoughts? To be honest guys, I'm not much of an activist. But I can write a letter, make a call, fill out a pettition, answer a poll, discuss with friends and family, and of course, the all important vote. Here's the email I was going to send:

You are my (fill in the blank) and I wanted to weigh in on gun control.

Firstly, I want to thank you for the work you are doing on my behalf and let you know that I vote in every election. I believe that the 2 things that any society or community needs to prosper are:

1.Liberty. This takes the form of being free to and having the opportunity to make a future for yourself and your family. Examples are to open a business, get access to education, work and live where and how you like as long as it doesn't infringe on another's freedom to do the same.

2. Justice. All great societies are built upon the rule of law. With that you can hold onto what you've built. You can protect what you own. You can insure fairness. It creates the stability necessary for people to have the confidence that if they devote their life to building something, it won't be taken away. I've had a bit of experience in a third world country where the rule of law is a sham. And it's the main thing holding the society back.

Now how does this pertain to gun control? Rather than approach the topic of gun control with the mindset of "is this or that type of firearm NECESSARY" Have the mindset of "Does this or that type of gun infringe on people's liberty" I think you'll find that the answer is a resounding "No".

Also, I think that you should approach the topic of gun regulation (permits, fees, ability to carry etc.) with the mindset of "Will this regulation help or hurt a law abiding citizen's ability to protect their lives, their property, their liberty?" I think you will find again that the answer is always that it will hurt or hinder our ability to protect our liberty.

In summary, I'm against additional gun control legislation. The facts have always bore out that additional gun control does not reduce gun crime. And I don't want "feel good" legislation that is 1. Ineffective and 2. Actually reduces the liberty of law abiding citizens.

I strongly support our country, and when saying the pledge of allegiance and we come to the end where it says "and liberty and justice for all" I truly believe in the wisdom of that phrase.

This is an issue near and dear to my heart. I want to see Maryland prosper. I weigh my decisions at the ballot box mainly on voting record. I'm not a single issue voter, but this issue is a big one in my decision making.

Close with name, distict I'm in etc,

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A great essay , and a great 10min conversation to have with a live Politician. But unfortunately misplaced in application .

When writing to Politicians :

1. Mention a specific Bill number.
    2. Give 1 or 2 reasons why for/ against , for 3 or 4 paragraphs total .
    3. Write seperate brief letters for each Bill .
    4. I know you have more to say on each issue than that , so send one reason on Monday , another on Tues, etc until that Bill is either dead or passed .
    5. Start out focused on Committee Members . IF it leaves committee , game on! Hit all your Representatives, plus as many more as you feel would benefit . Up to all of them .

DC-W started a related thread on this, at more lenght .

And I am absolutely not picking , or trying to be a wet blanket. I tip my hat for your fine writing , and encourage to great heights of Citizen Advocacy !!

But such letters to Pols are inefficient use of your talents . Office visits with sit downs with Legislative Asst , or the home run of a COS ( even better than a Member ) . And while engaging in 1st Amendment activity , our highest goal is to open one on one conversations with passerby's . It does happen .

And I'm not picking on you. Next event I want to shake your hand.

Amigo109

Jan 25, 2018
    Columbia MD
    A great essay , and a great 10min conversation to have with a live Politician. But unfortunately misplaced in application .

When writing to Politicians :

1. Mention a specific Bill number.
    2. Give 1 or 2 reasons why for/ against , for 3 or 4 paragraphs total .
    3. Write seperate brief letters for each Bill .
    4. I know you have more to say on each issue than that , so send one reason on Monday , another on Tues, etc until that Bill is either dead or passed .
    5. Start out focused on Committee Members . IF it leaves committee , game on! Hit all your Representatives, plus as many more as you feel would benefit . Up to all of them .

DC-W started a related thread on this, at more lenght .

And I am absolutely not picking , or trying to be a wet blanket. I tip my hat for your fine writing , and encourage to great heights of Citizen Advocacy !!

But such letters to Pols are inefficient use of your talents . Office visits with sit downs with Legislative Asst , or the home run of a COS ( even better than a Member ) . And while engaging in 1st Amendment activity , our highest goal is to open one on one conversations with passerby's . It does happen .

And I'm not picking on you. Next event I want to shake your hand.

Thanks Biggfoot. That's why I posted this, to get feedback from ppl who know more than me. I'll send this anyway, since it's written.

I can't follow every bill that hits committee, but luckily there are people here who can and do follow the goings on in Annapolis better than I can. I'll watch when things pop up here and act on them.

My Dad's wife (technically step mother but we're not familial) is appointment secretary (I think) for Hogan, if something really critical comes around I could try and see if she can email on my behalf something he will definitely, personally read. I'm not 100% sure what her title is, but she's part of his inner circle. He asked her personally to come out of retirement and work for him. We're not close, but we're friendly and cordial.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You do NEED to be at least passingly familiar with the Bill Numbers , and their general subject matter. If a Pol doesn't hear a Bill number in the first 10 sec , they tune you out even if their bodies are still within range.

Several threads detailing various Bills , with links to the MGA webpage on the Bills . Homework isn't always sexy , but necessary.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    In summary, I'm against additional gun control legislation. The facts have always borne out that additional gun control does not reduce gun crime.

I like your letter. Pardon my pickiness, please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom