• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    For the last 4-5years I have noticed property in Terra Alta, Alpine Lake area to be very affordable compared to the rest of the area. Is their something going on I'm not aware of ? Anyone have any insight on this area ?

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I don’t rely on it for much else but, Using the search function here on city-data has answered a lot of similar questions for me:

Unfortunately it appears terra Alta shows up in only one thread title http://www.city-data.com/forum/west-virginia/62158-terra-alta.html
    however; it appears in a multitude of discussions.

I’ve turned up some real gold (and avoided some real poor investments) by taking time to pour over, skim and scan such discussions there …

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I’ve seen a lot on nice houses in Alpine Lake proper but the HOA fees are crazy high so I’ve scratched that off my list.

Terra Alta is one of the place I look at regularly for a house/property.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    We have a 'WV property search' thread going somewhere on MDS. There are members here who own or owned in Alpine Lake.

I don't know much about the place the developments finances and HOA/POA politics. I like the location as you have reasonably good access to Canaan valley for skiing and Deep Creek for the summer. Basic retail in Oakland and you are close enough to MoTown if you need to see a doctor or you need a Target store.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    That is a great area of Preston County.
    Do they still have the Preston County Buckwheat Festival?

That was a heckuva a party in Kingwood. Back in my ROTC youth, we go to Camp Dawson for rafting on the Cheat River and the Buckwheat Festival.

It was always a great time back in the days

Last edited:

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I don’t rely on it for much else but, Using the search function here on city-data has answered a lot of similar questions for me:

Unfortunately it appears terra Alta shows up in only one thread title http://www.city-data.com/forum/west-virginia/62158-terra-alta.html
    however; it appears in a multitude of discussions.

I’ve turned up some real gold (and avoided some real poor investments) by taking time to pour over, skim and scan such discussions there …
    Love me some Smokeys slsc98

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Thanks to all, I suspected the HOA was an issue in Alpine Lake. Thanks SLSC98 for the Forum link ! Currently reading "Mafia in WVa" Interesting

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Alpine lake is a vacation getaway for most people, not someplace that they plan on living for a significant amount of time. It's like Timberline or Black Bear in that aspect. It's not as well known as the two I just previously mentioned and isn't on everyone's radar, even in WV, so it doesn't carry the same cachet or command the same pricing. The HOA fee is also significantly higher than most other private and semi-private resorts in the state. $2500/year or so on most of the properties I've seen. That's because the maintenance is higher with the golf course, clubhouse, restaurant, indoor pool, beach, stocked lake, docks, etc. Timberline's HOA, for example, covers clearing the main roads in the winter, stocking the ponds, and trash pickup only. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the area as far as I've heard, but the HOA fees seem to push prices down lower.

Chriss

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Know someone who lives on a remote farm in Terra Alta. Beuatiful 100+ year old farm on a nice stream. But nowhere near Alpine Lake. Its a huge area ....like "Silver Spring" here in MD. Very rural. Close enough to things in MD such as Deep Creek, Oakland, Accident, Friendsville. As previously stated Morgantown for medical and big city amenities.

In Friendsville is the best meat shop, Working H Meats right on Friendsville Road at the top of the grade off of 68.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom