What's The Penalty For Illegal Carry in Maryland?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I'm not seeking legal advice. I'm just curious as to the penalties and the overall view of Maryland judges. I'm also interested in hearing any stories of such arrests and convictions if you know any. (Years ago, I recall the story of a guy from Virginia who accidentally found himself making a wrong turn that put him on the Memorial Street Bridge. He had two rifles he used for hunting in the back window of his truck. He attempted to make a U turn at the end of the street, but a cop saw him and soon he was pulled over by more cops than the Pentagon on 911 (which hadn't happened yet). He was hauled off to jail and charged with illegal possession. LSS: the NRA came to his defense. An agreement was hammered out and DC agreed to return his guns. Well, he got off and DC was true to its word. The man's guns appeared to be hammered and when they were returned, the stocks had been broken. In fact, they appeared to have been placed in a vice and broken with a sledgehammer! He wanted to take legal action if I recall, but the NRA told him he was lucky to have escaped prosecution.)

For transporting in a car, I understand the gun or ammo must be stored in either the cabin or trunk of a car (as long as they're not in the same place), and the ammo stored in the trunk or cabin, depending where the gun is stored. Does the gun have to be secured in a locked airplane-type container? And if you're pulled over, do you have to tell the cop you've got the gun?

Since I've never been pulled over in Maryland, I don't know quite what to expect. If you do have a gun in the vehicle with you, are you under any legal obligation to inform the officer if you're pulled over?

Finally, what is the political persuasion of most cops in Montgomery and Prince Georges Counties? Do they tend to be liberals and would most like to see CCWs granted in Maryland? I imagine the worst part of the state would be Baltimore.

Thanks for any elucidation! :cool:

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Unless it’s Fredneck county in Marylinistan and your an illegal. Then the judge gives you time served. Actually happened with two illegals pulling guns “for personal protection” on one another. If your a honest law abiding citizen you’d probably get life without parole.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    The consequences in MD mean you don’t get to own guns anywhere in the US ever again. Stick with the (annoying) rules.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just to clarify ; So far the answers have been regarding Handguns . The OP's comparison example involved Shotguns .

About which are you inquiring ?

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    My example included a shotgun and hunting rifle. And Washington, D.C. I wasn't inquiring because I wanted to violate the law. If caught, Maryland could visit your home with a search warrant and take every gun you own with zero compensation. Sad, but true. Still, what happens when one's a felon and one's wife legally owns all the guns?

I was mostly curious regarding guns used for self defense. Is defense a mitigating circumstance? I was also curious to learn how furiously Maryland pursues illegal carry and if anyone knew of any stories?

Also the attitude of cops, not that one could expect any mercy from them. Just wondered if they were as antigun as the rest of this Communist state. (Reminds me of the story of the guy who visited China years ago. One of the Chinese delegates asked if this was his first time to a communist country, to which the Republican replied, "No, I've been to Massachusetts." It was said to have infuriated Senator Kennedy, who demanded an apology. It was not forthcoming.)

Last edited:

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I'm confused... the thread title is about illegal carry in MD, but the examples are about transportation in DC. So, which is it? :sad20:

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I think the man is just fed up with the convoluted gun laws and believes his rights are being impeded. Sometimes good honest people just get fed up and challenge the system, it reminds me of a friend's Dad. He was a retired Colonel on a trip up North with his family when their car broke down on the side of the road. He placed his loaded 1911 on the dash as they awaited help. When a NY State trooper showed up and noticed the firearm he asked if he was aware of the NY firearms law. He replied he did, then when asked why he violated the law he informed the officer he was "too old to run, but too young to die". The officer had him unload the gun and properly store it before leaving.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    My example included a shotgun and hunting rifle. And Washington, D.C. I want inquiring because I wanted to violate the law. If caught, Maryland could visit your home with a search warrant and take every gun you own with zero compensation. Sad, but true. Still, what happens when one's a felon and one's wife legally owns all the guns?

I was mostly curious regarding guns used for self defense. Is defense a mitigating circumstance? I was also curious to learn how furiously Maryland pursues illegal carry and if anyone knew of any stories?

Also the attitude of cops, not that one could expect any mercy from them. Just wondered if they were as antigun as the rest of this Communist state. (Reminds me of the story of the guy who visited China years ago. One of the Chinese delegates asked if this was his first time to a communist country, to which the Republican replied, "No, I've been to Massachusetts." It was said to have infuriated Senator Kennedy, who demanded an apology. It was not forthcoming.)

Are you asking because you’re a felon and your wife owns the guns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Member Cold Steel is a gentleman, and of a certain age. We have had dealings and I find him to be a person of quality.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Member Cold Steel is a gentleman, and of a certain age. We have had dealings and I find him to be a person of quality.

That’s good to hear, but his repeated questions about illegal carry seem to be suspicious.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    That’s good to hear, but his repeated questions about illegal carry seem to be suspicious.

Answer the questions. No skin off your back. Or anyone else’s.

NatBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jan 4, 2012
    Baltimore
    Maybe Cold Steel is a dude that has a friend that lives in Baltimore, and that friend is fed up with being a victim, and that friend is contemplating taking extreme measures to protect himself and his family. And maybe that friend needs info to make a decision about whether the unjust and unconstitutional punishment he would receive if caught taking those those measures, would be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom