What's the dirtiest gun you've ever come across?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    We all know "that guy" who shoots and then never cleans his firearms because "modern propellant isn't corrosive" or some such other excuse. I have a very good friend who is like that but simply admits that he doesn't have the time and always winds up in a flurry of cleaning just before any event or course he winds up taking. That said, none of his guns have ever been as dirty as the Glenfield Model 60 I grabbed from the pawn shop a little while back.

For starters, the bolt was to the rear and would not push forward. This isn't a newer Model 60 with the bolt release button near the trigger guard. This is a 1974 model (with squirrel stock) without such fancy amenities. Given the condition it was in, I nabbed it for a song and took it home. Now that I got into cleaning it, just.... wow....

The fire control group is CAKED in residue and unburnt powder. The shell lifter is chrome plated and should shine, it's black as midnight. The receiver and bolt were even worse. the extractor recesses were so packed with grime that there was no way the bolt would have gone into battery even if it was able to move forward. The grime and powder came out in chunks, like clay, when I finally got it loosened up. I figure this thing was never properly cleaned and had the old "shoot some WD-40 in it and call it a day" method used on it. I spent several hours over three days breaking this thing down into individual components and getting it all cleaned up. I even had to remove the sights, magazine tube, and safety to get all the grime and garbage out of it.

Now that it's cleaned up and put back together, I'm sure it'll run fine, but this had to be the dirtiest firearm I've ever come across, and as a C&R holder, I've come across plenty of dirty ones.

How about y'all? What's the worst you've ever seen?

Pictures:
    The bolt was all caked up, and you can see the grey sheen to the cleaner I was using at the bottom of the receiver, I had already done a solid cleanout and this was the 2nd run.
    20240405_185947.jpg

Caked up powder and WD-40
    20240405_190457.jpg

More of the same sludge. It was like modeling clay.
    20240405_190459.jpg

Super grimy fire control group
    20240406_195218.jpg

The shell lifter (right side) should be shiny chrome. It was, once I cleaned off all the residue.
    20240406_195234.jpg

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ****I've seen WW2 rifles that had corrosive ammo run through them and were I guess just put back away in a safe only to be non-functional a few months later. Completely corroded actions on what were some decent quality and up to then well maintained firearms. The new owner of the firearms had purchased the firearms for top dollar and couldn't be bothered to clean the rifles even after being told he was shooting corrosive ammo.

He tried to get his money back on the firearms from the person that sold it to him who thankfully told him to pound sand after even the gun shop the new owner was trying to get on his side called him basically an idiot for not servicing his firearms properly.

The new owner was pretty pissed off as I recall. He's a member at the club I RSO at sometimes, and he was asking several people who all told him the same thing... Guess he was looking for some kind of validation that HE didn't do anything wrong.

Other than that? Flintlocks and other black powder type rifles... They can get dirty pretty quickly and require some care.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Sadly, an older Colt Python that was too corroded to save. In the owners defense, the firearm was in a house fire. The fire didn't kill it....the water did.

Don't know if it counts as "dirty"...

I worked as a RSO at a gun shop in SC while stationed in Charleston. Part of my "duties" was to take firearms that were brought in for consignment sale down to the range and test fire them after our in store smith made sure they appeared to be safe.

Guy brought in a run of the mill Winchester 1894 in 30-30 top eject with a side mounted optic. Took it down to the 50 yard range and could barely keep it on the paper. Rounds wouldn't group at all. Noticed some oblong holes. Took it back inside and asked the smith if he checked the bore. He hadn't. Turns out the owner only shot his own cast projectiles out of it... Apparently hundreds of them . The rifling was so leaded up it was nearly smooth. Had the smith use some chemical that removed leading and came back 2 days later and could keep 5 in the 10 ring. Then the owner decided not to sell it .

Coehorn

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    A friend of the family knew I'm into guns. Invited me over to take a look. Some fairly rare guns. Lots-O-Money. But.....

Original S&W model 29 with 6 inch barrel rusted and pitted. Not surface rust. Red, active, rust. Inside and out.

Finnish Ski-Trooper rifle. The one with the dual sling swivels at the butt. Red, active, rust. Calling the bore a sewer pipe would be an insult to sewer pipes. Almost gave him a ration of ****, but like I said, family friend. Gotta maintain the peace.

SKS rifles were the same way. Nice early original pieces. Not the commercial crap. And it continued with every piece he pulled out of the safe.

I was so disgusted by what I had seen that had to say something. I suggested he buy a lot of Kroil and soak and gently clean the guns. To at least arrest the decay. His response was that he wasn't that concerned about it.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Some folks here like to ride 'em hard and put them away wet. :rolleyes:

Dirtiest guns I ever seen were the M16's that we used blank adapters with. You want to talk about carbon buildup? That's where it's at.

Sulring

MDS Supporter
    3 way tie between an 1874 Gras Cavalry Carbine, 1916 Aussie Enfield No1 Mk3*, and a DP No 1 stock I got as a replacement. British LOVE Cosmoline. Worst barrel I have personally seen is an RTI MAS 49/56 sewer pipe with a "refurbished" exterior.

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    I picked up a Remington 550 on a whim from a well respected local shop. Receiver is full of oil, grease, powder residue, and what looks like tar, but it shoots. Also a Remington 514 from same shop. Could not see through bore until they found a cleaning rod and pushed out years of spider webs.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    We recovered a small semi-auto during an arrest. Not only was the slide rusted/ corroded shut but the bullet in the chamber was corroded in place once they finally did get it open.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Several AK's we dredged out of a canal in Baghdad- probably had been down there several years.

Caked in mud, vegetation roots running through and around them- stunk like a sewer.

Once they were hosed down and disentangled, broken down and bores swabbed- they ran fine (with new, clean mags). We consigned the muddy mags to the burn pit, not worth the effort to clean. Quiet pop-pop pop later.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Brand New in the box Browning TBolt made in 1968. It was stored in the box, in a closet for many years. It was solid deep pitted rust around and under the wood, the aluminum trigger guard was partially disintegrated from the salt wood.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Marlin 336 30-30 in a gun case in the attic for untold years. One side was rusted to the gun case which had a very rusty image of the gun left on the inside of the case.

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    I looked at an SKS rifle at a gun show in Timonium back in the 80's. The guy had three pallets full of them in boxes wrapped in paper and full of cosmoline. He only wanted $59.00 each and many people were looking, but kept walking.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    We recovered a small semi-auto during an arrest. Not only was the slide rusted/ corroded shut but the bullet in the chamber was corroded in place once they finally did get it open.

And that's a Good Thing !

Many all Malfactors have rusted , probably non functional cheap pocket guns , and attempt to fire them sideways Gangsta Style .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom