• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • narcolepticsniper

That one guy
    Jul 4, 2009
    Indiana
    what's the difference, structurally, between a rifle AR-15 lower and a pistol lower? Curious, because "In accordance with federal firearm laws, Pistol Kits are for use only with lower receivers originally manufactured and recorded as pistol receivers. Do not use with 'Rifle' receivers!" was on the Model 1 sales website.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    AFAIK, the only difference is how the receiver is marked and logged into the dealers books and how it is written up on the paperwork.

ATF has some stupid rules, you can't take a rifle and make a pistol, that type of stuff. If the receiver is logged as being meant for a pistol, then it SHALL ONLY be a handgun from that point on!!!

Use a "rifle" receiver with a pistol kit and you have an illegal SBR or AOW.

Bigpapa

Enthusiast
    Apr 18, 2011
    MD
    Stupid rules is right! Is my 15-22P any different in it's function if I attach a vertical grip, but I cannot! Go figure!

narcolepticsniper

That one guy
    Jul 4, 2009
    Indiana
    In the hypothetical event that SHTF and I have an ar pistol kit less receiver, and a rifle lower receiver, us it safe? I know it would be illegal, but if it comes down to it, the lower recievers are structurally identical, right?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Stupid rules is right! Is my 15-22P any different in it's function if I attach a vertical grip, but I cannot! Go figure!

Don't you know that if you put that vertical grip on the gun it now can sink a ship from 22,000 meters and the new muzzle blast will kill seagulls at 1,110 miles and children will go running in Spain!!!

IIs there a way to change a lower from rifle to pistol?

I assume you have a spare lower and you want to make a pistol out of it, but it was processed as a rifle? I do not know the answer, but I think not, at least not without involving NFA rules and a $200 fee.

narcolepticsniper

That one guy
    Jul 4, 2009
    Indiana
    I assume you have a spare lower and you want to make a pistol out of it, but it was processed as a rifle? I do not know the answer, but I think not, at least not without involving NFA rules and a $200 fee.

Nope, just wondering. I wouldn't knowingly violate any firearms laws - I don't need to have all my guns confiscated. Well, the ones left after the boating accident anyway...

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    There is no difference anymore. If you have a virgin, stripped receiver, you can build a pistol out of it. However, if you've ever put a rifle stock on it, you can not make it a pistol again. RRA and Spike's used to mark some of their lowers "Pistol Only" just for this reason. ATF changed the rules last year.

Jim

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    There is no difference anymore. If you have a virgin, stripped receiver, you can build a pistol out of it. However, if you've ever put a rifle stock on it, you can not make it a pistol again. RRA and Spike's used to mark some of their lowers "Pistol Only" just for this reason. ATF changed the rules last year.

Jim

That isn't technically 100% accurate - federally (maybe state).

If you buy a new lower with a stock and no upper you could make it into a pistol by removing the stock first and then putting on the upper with a >16" barrel.

However it is probably not something you want to try because you may have a hard time proving it was never a rifle by definition should the need arrise.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    That isn't technically 100% accurate - federally (maybe state).

If you buy a new lower with a stock and no upper you could make it into a pistol by removing the stock first and then putting on the upper with a >16" barrel.

However it is probably not something you want to try because you may have a hard time proving it was never a rifle by definition should the need arrise.

Nope, once it has a rifle stock on it, it's a rifle. Physically, yes, you can do what you describe. But legally, no.

Jim

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Nope, once it has a rifle stock on it, it's a rifle. Physically, yes, you can do what you describe. But legally, no.

Jim

No is isn't. Look up the definition of rifle. It has something about being able to fire a projectile through a rifled bore. If it has no barrel it CANNOT be a rifle. That is why I said 'technically'.;)

ETA - it should have been (less than) <16" barrel.

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    I've been researching this carefully and have looked on the recent forms from my two lowers from the April group buy. I cannot find anything stating whether these lowers are rifles, pistols, or others for that matter. So from what i understand, it would be legal for me to turn one of these lowers into an AR pistol, no stock and no vertical fore grip, without having go through the ATF and register it as a SBR? If i wanted to add a vertical fore grip i would have to make it an AOW, correct? But if i were to put an AFG on it, it would still be considered a pistol in the ATF's eyes. Please correct me if any of this information is wrong.

NHaze

Mar 15, 2011
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I would be careful having a pistol upper and no pistol lowers. If you have regular(non sbr) AR's, I believe batfe could charge you with intent to construct an sbr or some such nonsense. Not 100% on this, I'm sure someone can confirm or reject.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    From what I've read. Now, all "virgin" stripped receivers are neither classified as a pistol or a rifle. They're just classified as only receivers, therefore the owner may build a pistol with no vertical fore grip and/or butt stock, a SBR with NFA regs, or a rifle with a barrel >16". This is only what I have read in several threads on here. Hopefully someone with more knowledge and experience with this will chime in shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom