• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    Well over a year ago there was an extended discussion, that the way to get ahead with 2A was to take a page out of the liberal playbook: make progress in something small and incremental, then more small progress on something else, rinse and repeat.

The spent casing bill just passed is a nice win in that process.

So what's next? What are the ideas for the next most low hanging fruit, most easily done?

Progress is made between sessions. During sessions everyone's attention is pulled in too many directions.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Given that a background check is done by MSP for the HQL, having the FFL's do the NICS check immediately might be the next step. Also eliminates the 7 day wait and surely frees some resources at MSP that otherwise would be doing redundant checks for purchases.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    ok I will go first second and throw out some ideas:
    * Streamline 77r and replace with NICS (save $$).
    * Scale back or eliminate handgun approval roster / process- has one ever been denied? (save more $$)
    * State preemption on weapons & knife laws.

Done right, 1 and 2 would mean a net headcount increase since currently allocated resources could be redeployed.

Not sure how we would actually know what was most easily done.

Last edited:

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    From my perspective, the answers to all questions is: identify any scheme or part of the "process" in MD which is costing the spend-happy legislators any of our hard-earned tax dollars (which is their "product," same as heroin is 'product' to those addicted to opioids, as opposed to spending other people's money).

"Ballistics Identification" didn't go away for any logical or rational reason; it went away because it was sucking unholy gobs of tax-revenue monies out of the budget . . . Unholy amounts of OUR *^#+! money that is, and for absolutely NOTHING!

Thing of it is, and just like all the other places flood gates of our money are pouring into doing nothing but create jobs to expand the bureaucracy (and thereby more and more generations of Marylanders brainwashed into thinking and dependeding on that bureaucracy); the legislators don't care.

At least, not until we get a substitute teacher (Hogan) who tells the class: " I don't care what your 'regular' teacher (read that, died-in-the-wool libtard spend-addict) lets you do, THIS YEAR, THIS IS ALL THE MONEY YOU HAVE TO PLAY WITH!"

Ach! Panic! (Libtard response): "Where is there money we can pull from other programs and re-direct it to giveaways we can tie directly to votes from the non-profits and massive church pop.s in BC, PG and MoCo?!!!!"

Quick and easy answer this year was the "ballistics ID forensics lab" (it makes me gag just to tyoe that,,let alone say it :mad54:) where scores (if not more) of MILLION$ of dollars have done NOTHING other than present onerous hurdles for law abiding gun owners and "the evil" firearms manufacturers.

It really is simple; these liberal anti-gunners are only committed to their "crusade" up to the point it impacts their access to the cookie jar . . . our tax dollars . . . their "product."

So, what's next? Find them some money, any money, they can pull from any of the remaining hurdles for lawful firearms-related commerce and/or transactions and re-direct to their beloved "progroms" (sic) "in the communities."

Awesome thinking. Now we just need to find another "ballistics forensics" boondoggle for them to raid . . .

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    I really like the way you guys think.

Go after the money. Which can then be applied to the school budget or other priorities. We know a lot of this is a useless expenditure that does nothing to make MD citizens safer, but that's where effective lobbying has a shot when there is a logical case to be made via education of the legislators.

There was some discussion back when there was a major crush on resources to get a purchase approved about how many officers were assigned to do background checks? I want to say it was something like 50-60? Wouldn't those officers do more for public safety being out on the street dealing with bad guys? Positions eliminated for budget reasons?

And, the handgun roster idea is another great one. The need for it would not hold up under some sunlight.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    the handgun roster and board starts with the assumption that all handguns are banned. i dont think that holds up under heller and mc Donald.

internal locks are low hanging fruit.

other pieces of low hanging fruit may or may not still exist after kolbe and the future hql lawsuit.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I really like the way you guys think.

Go after the money. Which can then be applied to the school budget or other priorities. We know a lot of this is a useless expenditure that does nothing to make MD citizens safer, but that's where effective lobbying has a shot when there is a logical case to be made via education of the legislators.

There was some discussion back when there was a major crush on resources to get a purchase approved about how many officers were assigned to do background checks? I want to say it was something like 50-60? Wouldn't those officers do more for public safety being out on the street dealing with bad guys? Positions eliminated for budget reasons?

And, the handgun roster idea is another great one. The need for it would not hold up under some sunlight.

The way to do this has to be the way it was done for shell casing: Rider / amendment that clarifies that the positions are not eliminated, but re-allocated. Hogan asked for 100 new MSP positions and was declined. The best way to get these is to stop investigating law abiding people.

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    Not low hanging fruit by a long shot, but I still think the way to get G&S eliminated or self defense acceptable will be by showing that it is basically racist toward minorities and that there is a nest egg of revenue that can be made through selling permits.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Saw this in my morning reading...

http://www.ammoland.com/2015/05/no-added-gun-forms-courts-slaps-down-nj-towns/

I know it's NJ, but the concept intrigues me.

The 77r is very much duplicative of the 4473, so I wonder that this might be an avenue to knock out a couple things.

A move to having MD report to NICS, and using only the 4473, would drastically reduce cost and overhead (manpower, labor hours, and paperwork), and the potentially millions of dollars associated with them. It would also (in the same vein as the shell casing repeal) allow for reallocation of assets.

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    * Scale back or eliminate handgun approval roster / process- has one ever been denied? (save more $$)

Done right, 1 and 2 would mean a net headcount increase since currently allocated resources could be redeployed.

I think they denied the boberg. But that was probably just because I thought they were cool and was thinking about buying one :lol2:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Saw this in my morning reading...

http://www.ammoland.com/2015/05/no-added-gun-forms-courts-slaps-down-nj-towns/

I know it's NJ, but the concept intrigues me.

The 77r is very much duplicative of the 4473, so I wonder that this might be an avenue to knock out a couple things.

A move to having MD report to NICS, and using only the 4473, would drastically reduce cost and overhead (manpower, labor hours, and paperwork), and the potentially millions of dollars associated with them. It would also (in the same vein as the shell casing repeal) allow for reallocation of assets.

Just thinking this through. I think this might work if the buyer is 30 or over (because I think they can reach into your juv records for under 30, which might not show up in NICS). Not a perfect solution, but still a good start.

Mr H

Just thinking this through. I think this might work if the buyer is 30 or over (because I think they can reach into your juv records for under 30, which might not show up in NICS). Not a perfect solution, but still a good start.

Considering other states seem not to have an issue with it, I see it as something that can be dealt with, even if incrementally.

2016 - replace 77r with 4473, but still handle checks in-house
    2017 - report all but juv records to NICS, handle juv in-house
    2018 - NICS only, 7 day wait to 3 or 4, recover if juv found
    2019 - 'Murica

I have another thought on the HQL, but still mulling it over.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE

:thumbsup::innocent0

Mr H

I was thinking to combine your 2016 and 2017 scenarios, so I am an optimist.

Another angle is that there might be federal money for improving our NICS reporting.

LOL...

This has been discussed around several tables (and mentioned here too, IIRC).

There IS Fed money available for it. Curran & Co. has repeatedly maintained the current system despite there being funding available to simplify it.

This has never been about the money for them. It's all about infringement.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    A bit off topic, but Sarco was using the "spent casing law" as a reason they wouldn't ship C&R handguns to Maryland C&R holders. Sarco might use the 10 limit mag law as their next reason, but you never know.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    This would be an easy one BUT.........there's no money in it for the state, so it may not be low hanging fruit.
    Correct. No chance the lock law gets pulled when they're on our dime. Same thing with the AWB, HQLs, etc.

The 77rs should be a target, but the state is too married to their enhanced "disallowed persons" regime to give it up. I think it would be a mistake to push it next session.

The handgun roster, on the other hand, does seem to eat a fair amount of funding. You've got an FTE dedicated to it, lots of shipping and ammo costs, associated overhead, and the time that someone on the MSP has to spend examining the guns. You could probably wrangle a couple hundred thousand dollars from killing it, and given its lack of public visibility... well, hopefully our side will play it smart this time rather than stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom