What's a person to do where you can't carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The idea that the DC letter is a Licence to Carry Firearms is a major annoyance of mine. I admit it sets me off. If you do a search, you'll find some major rants of mine from years back.
    It's not BGOS.

Last edited:

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Does anyone take their chances and just carry anyway?

I usually have a trusty blade of some kind on me but, I've always argued that weaponry is only one component of self-defense. Everyone should have some hand-to-hand defense training on top of their training with blades, firearms, etc. Don't need to be Bruce Lee; just need to know the basics.

Most of the guys in my unit went with either Jiu Jitsu or Tae Kwan Do training. I chose Silat because my best friend was originally from Malaysia and was already well versed. I liked Silat because it combined some of the best elements of TKD and JJ.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    The idea that the DC letter is a Licence to Carry Firearms is a major annoyance of mine. I admit it sets me off. If you do a search, you'll find some major rants of mine from years back.
    It's not BGOS.

It's "Cannot Suffer Fools Gladly Syndrome."
    My BGOS comments are directed squarely at those insinuating you will be charged with crimes or you will incite violence from your neighbors for open carrying on your own property. That is absolutely BGOS

copasetic

Sep 15, 2017
    Montgomery County
    Besides always having a pocket knife you can also carry a Kimber pepper blaster (I don't know if any other manufacturer makes similar products). It is fairly small and shoots two blobs of chemical up to 13ft at a possible assailant. I don't know how useful it would be against a bear, but should be better than just a pocket knife against most two legged threats.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Besides always having a pocket knife you can also carry a Kimber pepper blaster (I don't know if any other manufacturer makes similar products). It is fairly small and shoots two blobs of chemical up to 13ft at a possible assailant. I don't know how useful it would be against a bear, but should be better than just a pocket knife against most two legged threats.

That's been my EDC for the past 9 years.
    I can testify it is very effective against rabid woodchucks, as a google search will reveal.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I sometimes venture in locations that are remote and/or off the beaten path where you don't know who might cross your path.

"Don't go to stupid places. Don't hang out with stupid people. Don't do stupid things." —John Farnam

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Someone should start a BGOS thread with examples.

1. Open carry on your property will get you charged with inciting violence.
    2. Printing is illegal.

Etc....

Mr H

Banana'd

The Missus and I both carry these every day.

And we could both be fired for it.

Intercooler

Jun 10, 2012
    I go on hikes on WMA's, parks, trails, etc... Places that I don't consider off-limits and still have come across some rather shady individuals with nothing around for a long way! It's not always just one either...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’ll second this. Some jurisdictions might restrict “chemical weapons” such as pepper or OC spray, but a good collapsible baton strike to even the largest adversary should be enough to thwart off an attack. Now if you’re talking about an 800 lb. black bear, a baton would probably be ineffective against that sort of attack. If bears are your concern, even a caliber as large as 45 ACP might not work all that well.

If you’re really that remote, open carrying a handgun should not be much of an issue due to the lack of police presence. Game wardens or DNR Police would probably not have an issue either. They don’t want to deal with yet another death by bear... LOL

If it is remote and hunting is legal, wear an orange hat and strap on your pistol.

Coyote hunting. Most state forests are open for hunting and most are unrestricted as to the species.

Otherwise, pocket knife or fixed blade on my belt (remember, a fixed blade knife that isn't visible is a concealed deadly weapon! gasp).

I jest, crossbow?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Forum rules here dictate why people post adamantly about following maryland carry laws. It's far from BGOS.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Forum rules here dictate why people post adamantly about following maryland carry laws. It's far from BGOS.
    The BGOS comes in when they make up laws or suggest that even compliance with the law will get you arrested or escalate some imaginary situation. We have it bad in MD no doubt but we don't need to pretend it's worse than it is.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Just go with a knife and hope? I sometimes venture in locations that are remote and/or off the beaten path where you don't know who might cross your path.

What the best legal setup to use out and about? Does anyone take their chances and just carry anyway?

This was the OP. What the hell are you answering? All these pages of BS and stupid comments and jokes.

Mr H

Banana'd
    The BGOS comes in when they make up laws or suggest that even compliance with the law will get you arrested or escalate some imaginary situation. We have it bad in MD no doubt but we don't need to pretend it's worse than it is.

Umm... You're both right.

There is real BGOS in a lot of these threads, and it's generally unnecessary if folks learned to understand the CF Marylanders are dealing with.

Now, are there 'officials' who would hang someone out for something minor? Statistical history says 'could be'. But it's hardly the norm.

Learning the ropes can keep us from swinging from them (especially at our own hand).

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ... We have it bad in MD no doubt but we don't need to pretend it's worse than it is.

I've noticed for years that some people seem to get a thrill from exaggerating our misery.

For example, ten years ago I saw a Marylander claim on the High Road that if you bought ammo for a gun you didn't have registered, the MSP would raid your house in the middle of the night.

It was based on a single real incident, but this poster seemed to be claiming it would happen every time a Marylander bought, say 9mm ammo, not having a 9mm registered. He was almost bragging about how bad we have it. Sort of masochism by proxy.

Since then, I've seen the same phenomenon many times. "If the cops see you with that assisted opening knife, they'll slam you on the pavement and give you a rough ride, then kill you. Happens ten times a day."

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    For the OP wondering about self defense while hiking:

I always carry a Kimber Pepper Blaster, usually in my back pocket. In the city, I often carry two of them, one in a front pocket. I always carry a knife, usually assisted opening, but I see it mainly as a tool. A blunt object is usually a much better weapon than a knife, and can be carried many places a knife cannot. You can even carry a walking stick on an airplane.

For hiking, I suggest two Kimber Pepper Blasters, a fast-opening knife, AND a stout walking stick. "Speak softly, and carry a big stick."

Don't forget the many wonderful hiking trails in neighboring states, where you can legally carry more than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom