What's a good entry-level long-range precision rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JCHinMD2000

May 28, 2013
    +1 Howa. Own a heavy barrel. It's cheap and spot on, was a great addition. I did a decent amount of research before I pulled the trigger.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    My son has a Howa Lightening in 308. It has been a excellent rifle. I'm pretty happy with my Savage FCP-10 also.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I may have said this before, but think about later. If you get an off brand (not a bad gun, just not mainstream) there will be fewer gunsmiths who know how to work on them, fewer aftermarket parts for them, and less options in the future.

Remington or Savage in the lower cost starter rifles have LOTS of choices and options going further.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I may have said this before, but think about later. If you get an off brand (not a bad gun, just not mainstream) there will be fewer gunsmiths who know how to work on them, fewer aftermarket parts for them, and less options in the future.

Remington or Savage in the lower cost starter rifles have LOTS of choices and options going further.

If you plan on tweaking the rifle, I would definitely buy a Rem 700 or a Savage.

Yme

Platinum Member
    Nov 3, 2012
    I just pulled the trigger on Savage today. Thank you all for all your insights and input!

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Good choice. What stock? Here's my FCP-K from before the QD mount went on the muzzle. Served me very well... Sadly, I don't have a long range near me anymore. :(

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369878039.458440.jpg

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50, first focal plane.

IMO, a good mid price range scope.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    just the basic accustock

Don't knock the accustock. It's one of the most solid bases you will find in a factory stock. The only issue that I had with it was solved with an adjustable cheek rest (see my pic).

sigrug17

Jun 22, 2009
    Gaithersburg
    another good source

LoneWolfUSMC on YouTube is also a great source of info, and I think one or two of his video's answers the getting into a starter rifle directly. :patriot:

You should also check out Sniper 101 by TiborasaurusRex on youtube. This guy goes into great detail about long range caliber and rifles for extreme long distance shooting. Im doing my homework also for a similar rifle.

Yme

Platinum Member
    Nov 3, 2012
    I guess i better start saving money for glass. looks like you guys have nice scopes!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My problem with NF, is they don't seem to make FFP scopes, only SFP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom