• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmt476

Jan 16, 2013
    Hey guys, just curious what everyone's thoughts and experiences are regarding barrel length for AR pistols. I love the look of a pistol with a 7.5 upper, however, I've been told that 10.5 is a better choice...just not sure why. Is the accuracy really that bad? I mean, either way, it's a pistol...def a short range weapon. Thoughts?

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    10.5 should use a carbine length gas system which is usually more reliable than the shorter options for a number of reasons.
    You will also find more choices in handguards in carbine length.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Hey guys, just curious what everyone's thoughts and experiences are regarding barrel length for AR pistols. I love the look of a pistol with a 7.5 upper, however, I've been told that 10.5 is a better choice...just not sure why. Is the accuracy really that bad? I mean, either way, it's a pistol...def a short range weapon. Thoughts?

My $.02... There are alot of differences, but I would primarily focus on velocity. A 10.5" barrel is what *I* would consider the minimum useful length for an operational AR. Particularly in an SBR. My "go to" carbine is a 12.5" SBR. Even 10.5" was too short for me there. But you are talking about building a pistol, not an SBR. Usually pistols are meant to be short - so mine is a 7.5" (Noveske Diplomat). It'll kill you dead at 10 yrds. But it's not a carbine.

What are you using it for, and what's important to you? For my pistol build, shortest length and portability weighed far more than extended velocity. I went short. I also realize mine is largely a range toy (with few exceptions).

jmt476

Jan 16, 2013
    Thanks guys. I guess my primary purpose, other than using it as a range toy...lol, would be a high power pistol that is light weight (for what it is). That said, I would like it to be accurate beyond 10 yards...lol

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    My $.02... There are alot of differences, but I would primarily focus on velocity. A 10.5" barrel is what *I* would consider the minimum useful length for an operational AR.

This. I had a 7.5" AR pistol and got rid of it. It was a fun (and loud) range toy but other than that, it was impractical. I have since built a 10.3" SBR which is more than just a range toy. Best of luck.

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    10.5" is shortest I would go for something "useful". 11.5" to me is the perfect marriage of length and velocity.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The Colt Commando is 10.3", for what that's worth. That seems to be the minimum length before 5.56 loses too much velocity.

Accuracy is not affected by barrel length.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Shorter than the more common 10.5" barrel causes a significant increase in concussion to the shooter and anyone nearby. You also pretty much have a flame thrower as well. I built a 7.5" in 556 and was able to tame it, but I traded that barrel, stuck a 10.5" barrel on it and I like it a lot more. My goal wasn't to build the shortest bbl'd pistol I could, for that I'd opt for a pistol caliber AR pistol, but... I did trade that 7.5" 556 barrel for a 7" in 7.62 x 39. It barks... and is accurate to boot... lol

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    As appealing as a 556 flamethrower is, it sounds like a 10.5 is prob the way to go

And this is *with* a KX5.

Pulled from calguns archive...
    Noveske-KX3-flaming-pig2.jpg

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    With a 7.5" barrel you might want a handstop to keep your hand from slipping out in front of the muzzle.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    Does it hit high at 75 yds? Because otherwise that should be an impossibility.

Here is a group shot @ 100 yds using an Eotech(I have a problem seeing double at times and in the case of my Eotech, an elongated red dot which the first two shots, I was aiming from the wrong 'side' of the dot). The zero was the same @ 50 yds.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
      unnamed.jpg
      49.3 KB · Views: 311

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Here is a group shot @ 100 yds using an Eotech(I have a problem seeing double at times and in the case of my Eotech, an elongated red dot which the first two shots, I was aiming from the wrong 'side' of the dot). The zero was the same @ 50 yds.

Congrats! You've defeated gravity!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom