Whatever happened to learning how to shoot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    I keep most of my guns stock
    2 rifles have red dots and one pistol has a laser

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    This is a tough one for me. Most of my guns are in stock condition and are C&R/mil-surp. I shoot mostly irons. While I've understood the need and use for some accessories, I've not adopted them.

I like computers, and none of my systems are stock. I can get much more out of the platform by upgrading, modding, and adding components. Usually I get a performance boost or a new feature.

In the end, it's your money and your gun. Do what you want to it, but if you tear up a nice C&R, I won't like it :)

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Honestly though, 21 years old here, and I just bought a 22/45 to practice fundamentals with, and I'm thinking about making my next purchase a tube fed bolt action 22 to practice irons with.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Honestly though, 21 years old here, and I just bought a 22/45 to practice fundamentals with, and I'm thinking about making my next purchase a tube fed bolt action 22 to practice irons with.

I'd go with a detachable magazine model instead. That way you learn not only rifle accuracy, you also learn manipulations, reloads and (if you get cheap mags) malfunction drills as well.

You will also have exactly what you need to attend an appleseed....:innocent0

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I'd go with a detachable magazine model instead. That way you learn not only rifle accuracy, you also learn manipulations, reloads and (if you get cheap mags) malfunction drills as well.

This. :thumbsup:

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville

well, I already have a few mag fed ones, I like the tube fed because you can get 18 rounds in something like the xt-22, or the old 925.

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    Baby steps..... :D

the easiest way to put it is this. no company (barring all zombie-style gimmicky companies/products), just decides to create a "thingamajig" that sticks on your gun for absolutely no reason. accessories are for the most part thought out and tested, especially in the gun world. i specify the gun world because a). we tend to be tight knit communities (lots of blogs and forums to ruin the reputation of cruddy products) and b). there are a lot of teotwawki, shtf, and apocalypse guys out there who expect more durability and reliability then certain products even warrant.

all accessories have a goal. it might be to allow you to acquire your targets faster, have faster follow up shots, reduce the recoil, make manipulation of the firearm easier, give a wider range of peripheral vision, allow the shooter to focus on the target instead of the front sight, ect. every time you want to buy an accessory you have to do a cost benefit analysis in your mind. is the end result worth the extra weight/cost? if the answer is yes then that product works for you. if not, cross it off your shopping list.some people expect different things from there guns so something that will work for one person might not work for another.

gear does not take the place of fundamentals. if you can only shoot well with your own gun tricked out gun with a two pound trigger and the most expensive optic you could find, then somethings wrong. but while we have the technology available, we might as well use it. as the saying goes; if its a fair fight then your tactics suck!

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Did somebody say too many accessories?

(I can't take credit for the photo; it was already posted elsewhere on MDS but needed to come here!)

Attachments

• gearguy.jpg
      gearguy.jpg
      53.3 KB · Views: 143

mackie

Dumb Farmer
    Jan 7, 2009
    Cecil County
    He forgot the Motometer hood ornament.

I don't buy into the tacticool hoopla, I have optics on most of my rifles because I have the room to stretch out and shoot beyond 150 - 200 yards, and I like to see exatly where my shot is going to be placed. With that said I have by far taken more deer with my iron sighted Winchester '94 than any other rifle I own. The first AR I built carries an 8-32x44 TruGlo scope, yes I can look a ground hog in the eye a 100 before I squeze a round off.

I also prefer single action revolvers and lever action rifles, they just plain work.

ASM80

Mar 10, 2012
    Hereford, MD
    Why does it bother you what other people prefer? It's like the age old question "blondes or brunettes" Sure they both have their advantages however some people prefer one of the other. Functionality or aesthetics, why does it matter.
    I have a dressed up tacticool rifle with RDS and magnifier with all the magpul goodies, doesnt mean I hate on the guy one lane over shooting his stripped down Colt.

Bitchin for the sake of bitchin. . . . . sometimes I think my wife posts on this forum LOL

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Why does it bother you what other people prefer? It's like the age old question "blondes or brunettes" Sure they both have their advantages however some people prefer one of the other. Functionality or aesthetics, why does it matter.
    I have a dressed up tacticool rifle with RDS and magnifier with all the magpul goodies, doesnt mean I hate on the guy one lane over shooting his stripped down Colt.

Bitchin for the sake of bitchin. . . . . sometimes I think my wife posts on this forum LOL

Relax.......just bringing up a topic for discussion.

+1, august1410. I regard myself as a pretty mediocre shot, and getting poorer all the time as my eyes go south. But from time to time I'll have younguns at the range comment on how can I shoot so well at such a distance - they've observed that I've actually managed to put (most) of my shots on a standard 25 yd. slow-fire target at . . . 25 yds. Tacticool this and that don't make you a better shot any more than alloy wheels make you a better driver.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I would recommend service rifle training & matches to anyone who wanted to become a better rifleman. They're all shot with open sights an you'll shoot some of the most amazing and historically significant rifles ever built.

Just my $.02.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Why pick a picture of Costa? He is the opposite of everything we are making fun of in this thread. Everything on that gun he is holding (including his grip style) has a purpose, a well thought out and tried one at that.

i picked it because it was the first picture to come up. I have no idea who it is, but that seems to be the latest fad at the ranges.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28

Exactly. Most everything I have modified can transition between the two. Of course both of my recent rifle builds have offset irons with high power scopes so they are like having a threesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom