• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I personally give 0 fvcks how someone decides to carry. As long as they're being safe and responsible, have a great day.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    To the op, howdy partner. :wave:

I'm just to your west, South of Fort worth. WHEN I get my ltc there is about a 0.001% chance of ever OCing. I just don't see any positives other than personal physical comfort. Not to mention, over half the places I go seem to have the 30.07 sign posted (OC banned)....

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    I support both but prefer CC for reasons stated by others. I find it interesting that in colonial days open carry was considered more gentlemanly.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    When in Free America (which is often), I OC quite a bit. No issues.

Contrary to popular belief, the Republic of Texas is not the gold standard of citizen carry. Virginia and Kentucky, just to name two, have much better laws or lack thereof.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I won't OC in public if I can legally CC. OC can invite the worst kind of unwanted attention if thugs looking for guns are around and you're alone.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I prefer CC, but have OC'd in public before.
    CC gives you the advantage of being just another nobody. Get the right holster and no one will ever know.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    To someone like me, open carry is a nice, comfortable change. To those who bash it, have not been carrying concealed for a great amount of time, say 8 hours a day for many years. Nothing like having a nice full size pistol in a nice leather holster and belt against an actual shirt tucked inside your pants. That's a feeling only a well experience carrier knows and desires.
    A pistol is only on 1 side of your body, right? Not front,back, left, and right. It's very little exposure.
    If I am OCing and get "capped" first by a bad guy, it wasn't because he saw my pistol and decided I should be the first target. For those of you who wear that souvenir FBI,ATF,DEA,etc... ball cap or T shirt, you should worry more about that than a OC pistol.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    jeez i don't get all the hate for open carry. sometimes it's nice to not have to do the iwb thing or wear a cover garment. unless you're packing a 5-6" gun, it really just isn't super noticeable, especially if wearing darker clothing where the gun blends in. i do mostly concealed but when open carrying really haven't been aware of anyone even noticing. arms at sides do a decent job of covering it up and most folks aren't going around staring at folks' waists or sides.

go to opencarry.org, there are threads for NOVA (northern virginia) where folks talk about their open carry experiences, mostly they say no one even notices, and some that do notice prolly just assume they're cops or something like that.

i think OC is actually good for PR. with CC folks have no idea how many folks are carrying. with OC, folks know there are folks carrying and when there is no "blood in the streets" they can see that despite lotsa guns being carried there are no issues.

It's nice to hear a voice of good experience. :thumbsup:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    when i OC'ed very infrequently in VA no one ever seemed to notice. people have so much stuff on their belts these days it doesn't seem to register.

my .02 anyway

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    Not in Texas or MD, but out here in flyover country I tend to open carry when working outside of town-fixing fences, mowing, getting firewood, etc. In town it's normally concealed, but I've open carried before and nobody really cared. I don't OC in town unless I have a good reason, such as a larger gun I don't want to leave in the truck and only having an OC holster with me. Typically a revolver in a Simply Rugged pancake holster.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    To someone like me, open carry is a nice, comfortable change. To those who bash it, have not been carrying concealed for a great amount of time, say 8 hours a day for many years. Nothing like having a nice full size pistol in a nice leather holster and belt against an actual shirt tucked inside your pants. That's a feeling only a well experience carrier knows and desires.
    A pistol is only on 1 side of your body, right? Not front,back, left, and right. It's very little exposure.
    If I am OCing and get "capped" first by a bad guy, it wasn't because he saw my pistol and decided I should be the first target. For those of you who wear that souvenir FBI,ATF,DEA,etc... ball cap or T shirt, you should worry more about that than a OC pistol.
    Where I live now in Va, I've actually seen people OCing. I CC all of the time. Because of it, some might criticize that I pick 7 round semi-auto in 9mm, with an even smaller 22lr as backup. I do it for comfort. My full sized 9mm has been in the safe, but if for some reason I felt that I needed to be more prepared than I am now, I'd switch up to the full sized 9mm. It would be far more comfortable to have it in an OWB holster with the potential of being considered OC.

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Started a thread a few weeks ago about printing and it was hammered because surprising the individual is much better then a deterrent for a low life looking for a easy "meal".

Peaceful John

May 31, 2011
    I would not open carry except under very unusual circumstances. It's too much like hooking your wallet over your belt. But the ability to openly carry is a wonderful thing when concealment is (temporarily) inadequate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom