• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Do a little recreational shooting.

Take what I can from the car. Get home. Secure home and family and shelter in place. Decent provisions in a rural environment.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    My sailboat is in walking distance of my house. My "bug out" spot is heading to sea and getting way from issues on land in the wake of a large scale collapse. Much harder to approach a boat than hold a position in the community.

My boat is large enough to allow me to sail anywhere in the world. And self-sufficient in terms of power generation and with enough amenities to make it somewhat survivable in cramped conditions.

Matt

Do you have a water maker?

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    My sailboat is in walking distance of my house. My "bug out" spot is heading to sea and getting way from issues on land in the wake of a large scale collapse. Much harder to approach a boat than hold a position in the community.

My boat is large enough to allow me to sail anywhere in the world. And self-sufficient in terms of power generation and with enough amenities to make it somewhat survivable in cramped conditions.

This actually really intrigues me.

Do you have any experience with blue-water sailing?

What about navigation? Assume GPS is out - do you have a sextant, accurate time pieces, tables and charts?

Suppose there's no weather forecast reports, after the SHTF. How do you best prepare for and try to avoid tropical storms, etc?

What kind of radio systems would you plan on taking?

And lastly, what destinations would you consider, and why?

The whole concept sounds really interesting to me, I think it's worthy of a thread all its own.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    This actually really intrigues me.

Do you have any experience with blue-water sailing?

What about navigation? Assume GPS is out - do you have a sextant, accurate time pieces, tables and charts?

Suppose there's no weather forecast reports, after the SHTF. How do you best prepare for and try to avoid tropical storms, etc?

What kind of radio systems would you plan on taking?

And lastly, what destinations would you consider, and why?

The whole concept sounds really interesting to me, I think it's worthy of a thread all its own.

It would be a good thread, start it!

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Get home ASAP, shelter in place, enough digestive provisions to last at least six months (not counting the "live" provisions on foot, hoof, wing, etc), and a few neighbors that are already on board with this too. Firearms, ammo, and protection of aforesaid is a given with me and my few neighbors.

And spare inflatable "friends?"

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    If I was single with no family to care for I would arm myself to the teeth and hijack a boat that could make it to Bermuda. Then I'd conquer the island and live as king.

Life such as it is, I'm sheltering in place and defending the homestead until we run out of food.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Your driving home after a normal day at work, radios on and your wondering what's for dinner. As your to your exit on the interstate your car suddenly dies completely and you begin to curse at yourself for not changing the problematic battery in your car. You pop your hood and get out to take a look and you immediately notice all the cars in sight are stopped as well.

You begin to wonder what the problem could be. You reach into your pocket for your cell phone see that its dead as well? After playing under the hood for a few minutes you decide to walk the last two miles home.

On your trip you see that none of the traffic lights are working, lights are out in buildings all around you, and every car you see is stopped dead.

As you home starts gets into your sites your connecting the dots, some sort of EMP event has occurred. You know you have a few weeks worth of food and water in your home and a decent cache of firearms and ammo. As you get to your driveway you see your neighbor loading up his old school Bronco that is running and yelling to his wife and kids to get the rest of their stuff and they wouldn't be seeing home for a while.

As you walk in the door your wife rush's to you and franticly asks" What are we going to do"?

Now the fun begins, I've set the scenario.I'd like to hear what your plan would be in a situation like this. I know we all at one point or another ask ourselves what we would do in an instance like this. Would you stay home and "bug in", or would you get out of town to predetermined "bug out spot" ( if so how would you get there). When the food runs out and people are breaking into one another's homes looking for something to eat how would you respond?

As much as these mental exercises are fun to do, there really isn't enough info to make intelligent decisions, regardless of what the neighbor is doing, i.e context.

-is the EMP/CME event localized or widespread?
    -what's the current state of affairs? (terror alert level, etc)
    -what's the odds of recovery from grid failure?
    -what areas, if any, are unaffected?

The Quebec event of 1989 (CME) lasted 9 hrs. However a more pressing concern would be EMP Generators being used as the new 'IED's' by rogue countries and/or regimes. Instructions on building one HERE

Response of most to this scenario would be little different from any other SHTF scenario previously discussed. IMHO, just like a military operation, even the best plans usually go right to hell when reality occurs and impaired judgment/panic occurs. For many it will be lack of critical thinking skills and thought processes driven by fear and panic, not lack of supplies, that will be problematic.

Last edited:

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Older cars/trucks that do not have CPUs/chips integrated into their systems might very well continue to work in this scenario. I've a hunch that my 25 yr old truck and tractor might still operate under such conditions. None-the-less... hunker down. Enough supplies for the short-to-mid term... long term water sources... Too much ammo to move... arable/huntable land... I'm not going anyplace.

Add to that A. Americas Going Home series for another spin on the surviving an EMP attack scenario.

Side note to the topic: wife wanted to listen to audio books in the car. I didn't like her adult version of Harry Potter fantasy stories (don't tell her I said that :D ) , so she downloaded and got us hooked on SHTF stories. Finishing 299 Days now.

Thinking about the EMP scenarios, I have my 1980's diesel tractor with no electronics may be perfectly usable..... I Have spare 50 gallon tank maybe I should fill with diesel.... kinda third world, but I could plow the garden and use it for general transport in a pinch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom