What will be most impacted by the 10 round magazine limit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    I'm thinking about the last few, pre-October 1 purchases. Seems to me one of the things I need to be thinking about are those handguns that BOTH:

(1) Normally come with +10 magazines

AND

(2) Extra magazines are almost impossible to find at regular retailers or gun shows, you basically have to order them from the manufacturer or find them on-line if you want one. Not just temporary shortages because of the panic, spare mags are just routinely impossible to find anywhere except from the manufacturer or the occasional on-line seller on Gunbroker or whatever.

This is where the 10 round limit is going to be a real issue. You can get spare Glock magazines in the correct capacity for the gun practically anywhere. But not everything is so easy to find.

If you own or know of a handgun that you think is GREAT and the correct, 10+ capacity magazines are going to become basically impossible to buy after October 1 - take a minute to call it out for me and the rest of the group. Maybe it will end up on one of our last purchase lists, something we haven't thought about effectively losing the ability to buy in 10+ before October 1.

For what it's worth, right now I am thinking about a CZ85 and possibly another XDm, both in 9mm, but I am wondering what I might give up the chance to own (at least in its 10+ configuration) if my last purchases are this conventional/mainstream.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Not to muddy the water, but many distributors are simply refusing to ship any gun capable of holding 10+ rounds to Maryland, period.

Even though the law has not gone in to effect yet, several big players have already cut Maryland off. Most refuse to pull mags or ship them to dealers who could also pull them.

There will be a lot of revolvers, sub compacts and 1911s sold after October because that may be all that is readily available.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    I have to think that any gun that is legal to sell in California today is going to be for sale in the same configuration in Maryland eventually. I can see manufacturers cutting off Maryland until all this stuff is in place just because they don't want to somehow screw up and find themselves in trouble, but it would be crazy to make a California complaint version and then not sell that exact same version in MD. It may be a while before that stuff hits the market, but it should get here eventually.

At least California is a pretty big market. It is worth it for the larger manufacturers to make a special version to sell into California, MD, NJ, etc. Be thankful that we are not NY, with that 7 round thing. I bet almost nobody is going to make special magazines for them.

Eventually, I suspect if you want to buy any new gun that is normally sold in 10+ configuration in other states, it will be coming from a major, high volume supplier like Glock, Ruger, Sig, etc. Anybody small just won't bother with the crazy states.

I suppose where there is demand, somebody will supply it eventually. If it gets really bad, FFLs in other states are going to start buying the guns that aren't sold compliant, making them MD compliant and then shipping them to dealers here at some incredibly outrageous mark up.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

I think that you will find that lots of manufactures will not re-package special products with 10 round magazines for sale in Merry-Land...

The probable result will be a lot less guns to choose from...

During the last "Iron Curtain" event guns required built in locks in order to be sold in Merry-Land...
    And many Manufactures & Distributors simply chose NOT to sell or ship guns to Merry-Land...
    You simply couldn't buy a new Glock in Merry-Land for years...

BE very careful when making on-line purchases after Dooms Day...
    Remember your FFL can't let you have something that is il-legal for you to own...
    And your On-line dealer may not give you your money back...

Caveat Emptor (Let the BUYER Beware)

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Check out Osage County Guns' website. They've got some in stock for about $30 a piece.

2A Sales has a bunch of SIG P229 9mm hanging on the wall. I was looking for 40s so I'm sure they were 9s.

Walther and Hk mags are hard to find in general...

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    For sale ...

I have a factory Glock .40 cal 15rd double-stack polymer magazine to sell. Like new, it doesn't even look like it's been loaded before.

$25 / free shipping in MD

Since I'm not a 'Glock guy', I can't tell you which make/model it fits, but it looks like a Gen 4. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll post some pics in the classified section or via PM.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I'm thinking about the last few, pre-October 1 purchases. Seems to me one of the things I need to be thinking about are those handguns that BOTH:

(1) Normally come with +10 magazines
    AND
    (2) Extra magazines

I can see manufacturers cutting off Maryland until all this stuff is in place just because they don't want to somehow screw up and find themselves in trouble, but it would be crazy to make a California complaint version and then not sell that exact same version in MD.

Its already done :(

A1Uniform has reported that some distributors have already stopped sending ALL guns with mags larger than 10 rounds to MD FFL's ... even though it is and WILL BE legal for FFL 01's to receive them

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I see a market for PA or VA IPs.

Ship from distributor to them, they pull mags and ship to MD FFL for transfer. Drive up and pick up mags.

90gsx

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 12, 2011
    Parkville
    Well I dont think it will be illegal to buy a gun that can accept a mag that can hold over 10 rounds. You just cant buy or transfer a mag that holds over 10 rounds in MD.

Im hoping the dealers will be able to sell guns that dont come with 10 rounders without the mags and then we can just go to PA or VA for the mags

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom