What to do with rifles chambered in 300 WSM and 338 Win Mag?, ammo is difficult to find.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    They belong to a friend and I'm not sure of any options. Rem 700 in 338 win mag Which would be great to have in 300 win mag and the 300 wsm is a Browning A bolt.
    I can reload for the two and that might be the cheapest option.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    They belong to a friend and I'm not sure of any options. Rem 700 in 338 win mag Which would be great to have in 300 win mag and the 300 wsm is a Browning A bolt.
    I can reload for the two and that might be the cheapest option.
    I'd reload for them or give me the 300WSM. I've been wanting one. :-)

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Bass pro has some 300 wsm in stock, headed there soon. and that's the one I'd keep. I've shot a 340 Weatherby magnum a lot and love it so ... I may like the 338 WinMag

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Load for them, IF you intend to shoot them regularly.

If you don't intend to shoot them regularly, you're likely better off to just lay in an adequate supply of ammo over time for sight-ins and large game hunting and such, if the need presents itself.

That .338 has Alaska written all over it. But not everyone will be so blessed as to ever hunt there. Many figure that out after the novelty of bigger bores wears off. I've (so far :)) avoided the urge to buy a .338.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I saw a few boxes of 338 Win mag at the York gun show Saturday reasonable priced.
    They'll make ammo for it again. They're catching up.
    I went through the same thing a few years ago with the even scarcer 25wssm. There was a small run of the ammo and I bought a bunch for $50 a box. It was up to over $100 a box on Gun Broker. A few months later Winchester made another bigger batch and you could buy it anywhere for $40 a box. It's getting harder to get now but isn't as popular as the 338win and 300 wsm so I'd sit tight and wait.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    So I found a 300 WM barrel new from Numrich for $106 (New Remington) and from what I read it should work but then I realize I have access to a rifle in that cartridge, it'll be moving to my safe soon. I'll wait till ammo becomes available again for the two mentioned cartridges.
    I really just want to have the rifles available & sighted in case the need arises or perhaps sell off for 45/70 or a real M4, you know, bucket list stuff.

Thanks

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have a 338 Win Mag. You won’t shoot it much. lol. I have a few hundred rounds of ammo. I’d be willing to sell you a box or two at my cost.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    I've got a box of 300 wsm that I picked up by mistake at BPS a few years ago. I'll give you a good deal on it if interested.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Just found people are being charged with “possession of ammo”.

This answers my question on what to do with rifles. Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Just found people are being charged with “possession of ammo”.

This answers my question on what to do with rifles. Oh well, it was good while it lasted.
    Where are people being charged with possession of ammo? I keep ammo in my car all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom