• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    In Maryland, if you receive your father's guns after his death, what are you SUPPOSED to do with them? Are there laws on the books governing this (in this ******* state I can't imagine there aren't)?

Please school me if you know.

Thanks,

Scarab

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    As far as I understand, you're supposed to register them if they aren't things that can be sold cash and carry, i.e. handguns. Also guns that were banned by SB281 can still be kept (as far as I know) in this type of situation as long as they are registered.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Advice to break the law and make the OP a criminal. THat works.

For handguns, you need to a a no cost 77R through MSP. From the estate to you.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    The executor of the estate should transfer the firearms to you in whatever way is legal (long guns can be cash and carry, handguns need to go through FFL or MSP)

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    From SB281:

"This subtitle does not apply to:
    (5) the receipt of an assault [pistol] WEAPON or detachable magazine by inheritance, AND POSSESSION OF THE INHERITED ASSAULT WEAPON OR DETACHABLE MAGAZINE, if the decedent lawfully possessed the assault [pistol] WEAPON OR DETACHABLE MAGAZINE AND THE PERSON INHERITING THE ASSAULT WEAPON OR DETACHABLE MAGAZINE IS NOT OTHERWISE DISQUALIFIED FROM POSSESSING A REGULATED FIREARM; "

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Go to a Md. State police barracks, without the +10 mags, and register them all for free. There is no cost to transfer them into your name. Just bring a death certificate. I am sorry for your huge loss.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    This is very simple guys. Pretty much every firearm can be inherited as long as the heir is not prohibited.

Now, regulated firearms need to be registered to the heir. Regulated firearms are handguns and any of the banned assault weapons. As already mentioned, the Personal Representative of the estate should go with the heir to the MSP Barracks and do the transfer of the regulated firearms.

As far as unregulated firearms, I believe the Personal Representative can just transfer them to the heir without any paperwork as long as the estate is in Maryland and the heir is a Maryland resident.

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    From SB281:

"This subtitle does not apply to:
    (5) the receipt of an assault [pistol] WEAPON or detachable magazine by inheritance, AND POSSESSION OF THE INHERITED ASSAULT WEAPON OR DETACHABLE MAGAZINE, if the decedent lawfully possessed the assault [pistol] WEAPON OR DETACHABLE MAGAZINE AND THE PERSON INHERITING THE ASSAULT WEAPON OR DETACHABLE MAGAZINE IS NOT OTHERWISE DISQUALIFIED FROM POSSESSING A REGULATED FIREARM; "

WTF does all that mess mean?

Scarab :banghead:

kerplooey

Jul 29, 2008
    Nunyabidness
    In Maryland, if you receive your father's guns after his death, what are you SUPPOSED to do with them? Are there laws on the books governing this (in this ******* state I can't imagine there aren't)?

Thanks,

Scarab

Keep 'em, and don't say nuthin'!!

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I see this as a ticking time bomb, because many people won't comply. Either through ignorance or deliberate intent.

It'll become a problem if the guns show back up in legal commerce - i.e. are sold. I could easily see the police going after heirs, or trying to seize firearms.

Feb 28, 2013

Thanks,

Scarab

First if all, my condolences if you lost your father.

As for the guns, the answer is simple. Register the handguns and ALGs, if there are any, and SHOOT 'em. That's what anyone's dear ol' dad would want. :)

Andras

Aug 12, 2008
    Charles Co.
    As far as unregulated firearms, I believe the Personal Representative can just transfer them to the heir without any paperwork as long as the estate is in Maryland and the heir is a Maryland resident.

Federal law allows an interstate transfer w/o an FFL in the case of an inherited firearm. GCA68.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    First if all, my condolences if you lost your father.

As for the guns, the answer is simple. Register the handguns and ALGs, if there are any, and SHOOT 'em. That's what anyone's dear ol' dad would want. :)

For sure my condolences if you lost your father.

When multiple handguns are transferred through the estate, is the receiver required to be approved Designated Collector?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom