• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wbwanzer

Feb 4, 2008
    York PA. and loving it
    Back in the good old days, when I wanted to sell a handgun, I would put it on consignment at one of the LGS that I dealt with. What can I do now? All of the magazines that came with the pistol hold more than 10 rounds. Should I put the gun on consignment without any mags and sell the mags seperately on Gun Broker? Sell the whole package on Gun Broker to someone in another state? Can I take a Handgun to Pennsylvania and sell on consignment there? What would you do?

I know everyone is going to say 'Don't sell the gun'. But if it's a gun I rarely use and want to raise funds for something else, how can I do this now under the new laws?

Thanks for any help.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    "A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm."

That's the way the law reads so I can imagine that arranging to sell a 10+ round magazine to someone, while in Maryland, could be considered a no no

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    "A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm."

That's the way the law reads so I can imagine that arranging to sell a 10+ round magazine to someone, while in Maryland, could be considered a no no

That is correct. So don't do that. Joining a friend for a little out of state range time isn't illegal.

wbwanzer

Feb 4, 2008
    York PA. and loving it

Right. That's the way I see it. So what would one do, as a MD resident, to sell a handgun with magazines that hold more than 10? Sell out of state on Gun Broker? Can I take the gun to a gunstore in Pa to put on consignment? I'm guessing it's not that easy.

Edited: Wait, are you saying that being in MD I could not 'offer for sale' even on Gun Broker?

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Do like I'm doing with a M1A. Sell it out of state and ship to a FFL01 who will accept from a nonlicensee. I'm selling on a CMP forum because it's free and less cumbersome. If you have a desirable pistol, it will bring top dollar on GunBroker, the best site with very low fees. F.... this communist state and the worthless, care less buttheads in Napolis. I think mags over 10 rounds can be sold out of state; I think the law is intentionally vague on that point. MD should be happy if those weird things were leaving the Republic.

Lew--Ranger63
    US Army (Ret)
    Unsafe, MD 06969

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    You can offer for sale and sell the gun in MD.

However the magazines would have to be taken out of state to sell or transfer.

Edit: This is how I would do it. IANAL.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    AFAIK, IANAL, the offer for sale only applies to within MD. Offering to sell to someone out of state is not covered.

But you can:

1) Sell the pistol on consignment at a local gun store without the magazines. You or the gun store can sell the magazines out of state.

2) Advertise the pistol here on MDS, and do the paperwork thing at an MSP barracks (search for the procedure), again, not offering the magazines for sale. But if you happen to run into the buyer at a gun show or gun shop or anyplace out of state, you could sell them then.

3) Sell the gun on Gun Broker with mags to someone out of state. They would have to find an FFL what would accept it directly from you, or you would have to find an local FFL that would ship it to the out of state FFL for you (for some fee).

4) Take it to an FFL out of state, who will accept it from you, and sell it on consignment, with the mags.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    You could consign it at The Gun Bunker in Shrewsbury and take the 15% commission hit. If they are still doing consignments.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes. But not all FFLs will accept a firearm from an out of state owner directly. They may want it to be shipped from another FFL.

But nothing in the law requires that.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    You could sell it to an MD resident through the MSP or an FFL, but you can't sell the magazines.

You can sell it to an out of state resident through an FFL in the buyers state. Some FFL's allow direct shipments, others don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom