• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andyman

Former Senior Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    pg county
    We have a doe on the property where I work that I believe has Chronic Wasting Disease. Does anyone have experience dealing with this? Is there something that can be done before the season? Just wondering.

andy

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    call DNR they are really trying to track this. Why do you think its wasting. DNR hasnt had a case with a wild deer in MD.

andyman

Former Senior Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    pg county
    Really skinny, ribs showing, listless, blotchy hair with a large bald patch on her back near her tail. Pretty pitiful looking to be honest. I'm going to call but will also try to get a pic to post.

andy

andyman

Former Senior Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    pg county
    Lx1x, I saw that site too. sure looks like MD is clean still. wonder what's wrong with her? After all the media about it in the DNR stuff I thought it was more of a problem than it appears it is. I guess DNR is just being proactive.:thumbsup:

I'll get some pics up when I can, probably won't be until tomorrow at this point.

andy

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Lx1x, I saw that site too. sure looks like MD is clean still. wonder what's wrong with her? After all the media about it in the DNR stuff I thought it was more of a problem than it appears it is. I guess DNR is just being proactive.:thumbsup:

I'll get some pics up when I can, probably won't be until tomorrow at this point.

andy

well.. dont know how accurate that is.. but that link has information and what to look for.. but best advice (which somebody already posted).. call DNR. after reading the link.. only way to figure out if it has the cwd is by autopsy since its a brain condition like rabies.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    well.. dont know how accurate that is.. but that link has information and what to look for.. but best advice (which somebody already posted).. call DNR. after reading the link.. only way to figure out if it has the cwd is by autopsy since its a brain condition like rabies.

More like Mad Cow disease caused by prions.

andyman

Former Senior Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    pg county
    DNR needs to know. Best case scenario it should be culled to prevent spreading whatever it has even if it is not CWD.

Already called, had to leave a message though. Will continue to follow up. She's not doing well and I do worry about the rest of the herd. Thanks for the advice. I will update when I have more.

andy

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Andy-
    Call DNR and see what they say. Otherwise I'll be out right by the shop tomorrow and can make the deer easier for the officers to find....:innocent0

Gotta keep the herd safe for the upcoming season ;)

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    the symptoms you cite can be caused by a number of things, but they are not typically associated with CWD (except for weight loss). Symptoms of CWD are neurological -- if you can imagine a deer with Parkinson's. Movements will be jerky and uncoordinated, falls for no reason, back legs go the wrong way, etc.

But as has been pointed out, CWD has not yet been reported from MD.

I'd put my money on something else, with confidence. Still, calling DNR is a good idea. If that doesn't work, SSS might be worth considering. Whateverthehellitis is most likely contagious.

Calling large-animal veterinarians...

andyman

Former Senior Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    pg county
    Andy-
    Call DNR and see what they say. Otherwise I'll be out right by the shop tomorrow and can make the deer easier for the officers to find....:innocent0

Gotta keep the herd safe for the upcoming season ;)

I'm with you brother. Gotta keep that creepy crud outa the pantry:rolleyes:

andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom