• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Have a battlelink, really light, balances tiny SBR barrels and lightweight builds well, locks up tight, and slim profile.

MOE SL are my go-to stock for most carbines, slim, simple, and comfortable.
    The ACS series are too bulky/heavy IMO, and in the longer/ heavier rifles where that wouldn't be a big deal, I like a heavier stock with a fixed cheek peice anyway.

For fixed stocks, it
    's hard to neat the MOE rifle stock, slim, comfortable, and well built, have had 0 problems on a 3 gun rifle I built with one several years ago, only downside is you need to add expensive QD sockets if you want to run a QD sling.

Have a UBR2 that I really like, it looks awesome, locks up like a fixed stock, and is A5 compatible. It is awesome for balancing heavier SPR or AR10s where you want an adjustable stock, and something a bit simpler and more mobile than the PRS, but need it to be solid and balance out a heavy barrel. It's pricey, but worth it, allows A5 buffers in AR15s, or standard buffers in AR10s.
    This is a pretty great take, and I endorse it wholeheartedly. The UBR is a pig on AR-15s, but balances much better on the heavier AR-308s. I also like the MOE fixed carbine stock, too - I know some people find it too short, but it's cheap and solid.

IMHO, the stock I'd choose is probably going to mostly be driven by what's going on with the front-end of the gun in terms of weight. If you're running a pencil barrel with no can, I'd probably choose an MFT Minimalist stock. If it's a chunkier profile barrel like an HBAR and/or there's a heavy can on the end, ACS-L probably makes sense. And, if it's something in between, maybe a CTR.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Have a battlelink, really light, balances tiny SBR barrels and lightweight builds well, locks up tight, and slim profile.

MOE SL are my go-to stock for most carbines, slim, simple, and comfortable.
    The ACS series are too bulky/heavy IMO, and in the longer/ heavier rifles where that wouldn't be a big deal, I like a heavier stock with a fixed cheek peice anyway.

For fixed stocks, it
    's hard to neat the MOE rifle stock, slim, comfortable, and well built, have had 0 problems on a 3 gun rifle I built with one several years ago, only downside is you need to add expensive QD sockets if you want to run a QD sling.

Have a UBR2 that I really like, it looks awesome, locks up like a fixed stock, and is A5 compatible. It is awesome for balancing heavier SPR or AR10s where you want an adjustable stock, and something a bit simpler and more mobile than the PRS, but need it to be solid and balance out a heavy barrel. It's pricey, but worth it, allows A5 buffers in AR15s, or standard buffers in AR10s.

Thanks for the info. Do you have any problems with cheek weld on the battlelink? I'm thinking of building a 10.5 inch pencil barrel with a can on the front. So the can may need more stock weight. Maybe I'll pick up a MOE stock for a try. They're affordable enough.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I love the MFT Minimalist stock. Cheek weld is fine, but not going to be as comfortable as an ACS-L. I don't think it's worse than a CTR stock.

My favorite part about the Minimalist is the back of the stock, which is just phenomenal. Comes up really quickly from a low ready, and is very comfortable to use closer to center-line.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    I just run a Magpul MOE or CTR stock on all of mine, just depends on what I have easy access to. If I’m in a store and need a stock and the only have the MOE I get it, but prefer the CTR since it locks.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I love the MFT Minimalist stock. Cheek weld is fine, but not going to be as comfortable as an ACS-L. I don't think it's worse than a CTR stock.

My favorite part about the Minimalist is the back of the stock, which is just phenomenal. Comes up really quickly from a low ready, and is very comfortable to use closer to center-line.

Agree. Love the minimalist stock. I have those on a few rifles.

I have a Vltor IMOD, which is nice (I have no facial hair) but heavy. I think it's going to end up on my AR-10.

Have a Magpul CTR, which is a good all-around stock. Very comfortable.

sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    I'm in process of building a SBR and was about to buy another ACS-L but thought maybe there was something better I was missing. So what's everyone running nowadays? I have ACS-L, SOPMOD, CTR and basic 6 position stocks already but the ACS-L is my favorite.

Stick with the ACS-L. I have an MOE slimline on a KAC but prefer the utiliy of the ACS.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Thanks for the info. Do you have any problems with cheek weld on the battlelink? I'm thinking of building a 10.5 inch pencil barrel with a can on the front. So the can may need more stock weight. Maybe I'll pick up a MOE stock for a try. They're affordable enough.

I've built rifles with all of the stocks I suggested (and many that i didn't care for). I'm primarily a 3 gun shooter, but do defensive carbine classes from time to time, and generally like something that handles well, points and shoots fast while being relatively squared up to the target with my head relatively level. All of these particular builds have held their own in competition, but are built to be reliable and easy to shoot, plenty of other people have tried them out, fellow competitors, friends that only shoot recreational, and even my 8yo kid.

The UBR2 is on an Aero M5(308) AR10 action, 18" fluted heavy barrel, 12# unloaded. It was built for 3 gun heavy, but wanted to use it as a suppressor host for steel out to 500-ish yards. I sacrificed a little in weight/portability for precision and recoil reduction. The solid extension/adjustable LOP seemed a little gimmicky, but it is really solid, feels like a fixed stock, and can be adjusted for shooting from different positions. It weighs 21oz with extension, so balances heavier barrels well. It is solid enough for precision, but can be shortened and quickly shouldered for faster run and gun stages.

The MOE fixed stock is on an 18" SPR build in 5.56, 9# unloaded. This was my main 3gun rifle for years, and still used for some matches that favor longer ranges, recoil is really light, it is solid, and really precise. The stock gives a solid cheekweld and shoulders well, it's really comfortable and a little sleeker than a standard fixed stock 17oz with extension, so it balances out the 18" midweight barrel, and is quick enough shooting close, but really shines at longer ranges.

The MFT minimalist is on a 16" lightweight V-seven build, 6#5oz unloaded. wasn't my first choice for this lightweight build, but after trying out a MOE SL, I felt it was a little too rear-heavy, and wanted to see how low I could get the weight without sacrificing anything important. At 10oz with buffer tube, it is about as light as a stock can get, and balances out the "gunner" lightweight barrel, O2 handguard and Ti brake just right. It is really comfortable, nice sloping sides give a good cheekweld, and as Erwos said, it snaps right up to your shoulder fast. I built this rifle for fast "hose stages" where you want the lightest and fastest rifle possible, and it does help that, but still can hold up to 300yd shots prone or from a barricade. The sling swivel under the center has become a really nice feature, keeps the swivel away from my shoulder and grip while being ambi, and really easy to swap shoulders with. THe stock was really tight when new, but after some use is just right, no slack, but slides easily, you do have to watch snagging gear on the "hook", and I did think that could be an issue, but it hasn't really been a problem

The trusty MOE SL on a 16" 9mm PCC at 7# unloaded. This is my go-to for a reason, it's 13.6oz with tube, sleek, comfortable, solid, and just all around well built. Better cheekweld than a CTR, easier to adjust, but weighs the same. It is a good balance for most 16" setups, this one has a lightweight 16" barrel and slim midweight handguard, and it balances well.

I run a Griffin suppressor occasionally on all but the Lightweight build, it probably would be a bit awkward, and I went with a big V-seven Ti brake instead of a mount. With a shorter barrel of the same weight, it might balance better, but even then, I probably would go with the MOE SL for the slightly better cheekweld and slight increase in weight.

20190619_092247.jpg

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have a very similar line-up. I split the difference between rifles 2 and 3 by using a Criterion 18" lightweight barrel and an MFT stock - I needed the velocity for the BDC to work, but also didn't want to go heavier if I could avoid. The AR-308 is also using a 18" Faxon pencil barrel to reduce weight a little more... it has an ABA Urban Sniper Stock X, which isn't the best ever, but does provide a great cheek weld (and was cheap).

Question about the UBR Gen2 on your AR-308 - are you using an A5-esque buffer system by running a heavier AR-15 carbine buffer in it, or are you running it with the spacer and standard 308 buffer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom