What reloading setup should I get? Looking for something good.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    If you want high dollar, Redding Reloaders are where you want to go. Way to expensive for me but I can dream can't I?

When I purchased my Dillon 550, the gun store in Columbus, OH, (Vance's) had both a redding progressive and the dillon set up on display. I personally thought The Dillon was a more intuitive setup and faster. The Redding was certainly a sturdy machine, though.

I use Redding dies for all my pistol and rifle reloading, and think they are top shelf dies, but irrespective of money I thought the Dillon progressive had the edge. This was ca. 1995, so maybe the Redding progressive press has gotten better, but it sure looks similar to the one I tried.
    YMMV

cobracutter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 6, 2009
    Cant decide...

550B
    Pro2000
    LnL (had one and sold it before i set it up)
    Rock Chucker.

cobracutter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 6, 2009
    Got it super cheap used before I went to iraq. When I came back I sold it because I was going to college.

Cowboy T

I have the dillon 650 and i have probably made around 15,000 + with it and have had no problems

Similar with one of my Pro 1000's. The one set up for .38/357 has 15,000 on its clock, the other (for .45 Colt) has 5,000. Both presses are running great. The .45 Colt one is about to get a lot more use, since I just got some more lead (yee-ha!).

However, to answer the OP's question, I would recommend single-stage at first. Get your good reloading habits down pat FIRST! It may save a finger, eye, or even a life. The little "Lee Reloader Press" for $32 including the book (from MidwayUSA) is a great little press to get started. And if/when you do go progressive, a single-stage is always handy to have around for various tasks.

After you get a minimum of 500 good rounds done (and shot) in single-stage, *then*, sure, consider going progressive. $32 to learn what you're doing? That's a bargain, man.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Well I decided to finally make the leap. I ordered the Lock and Load today, I am going to start probably reloading .223 first or 9mm (I know it would be easier to start with pistol obviously, but I think I would get more out of reloading .223)

So next is waiting for Cabela's to ship (it's on backorder until 4/30)

Mark

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I've already assumed that whatever money I have spent on a reloading setup I will not recoup, especially considering how cheap most surplus ammo is. I would however like to fire non-corrosive 5.45x39, 7.62x25 and would like to be able to load my own match grade ammo without paying $1.00 a round in several rifle calibers including .223, .308, and .30-06.

I don't see myself producing and shooting a lot of rounds, but would like to be able to start shooting some distance matches at some point (like M1 Garand matches.) I don't know how well that will go, as I pretty much suck right now. I couldn't even make rifleman my first time out at Appleseed. Not sure if it was me or the rifle, but I suspect it was me.

Like I said, I would like to get something that I am not going to outgrow quickly. How does using a single stage help build skills? Maybe that will help me decide. I'm leaning towards the single stage Rock Chucker or the Dillon 550B. It's more for the enjoyment and fun of loading my own rounds than practical purposes.

Mark

The RCBS Rockchucker is a great press. I own a Rockchucker II. That press will throw some leverage- which is needed if you ever decide to get into wildcat cartridges. RCBS customer service is TOP NOTCH! They back everything they make with the exception of electronic equip - with a lifetime warrenty. If yo break pin, bend a rod - they will send you another one - no questions asked. They will even remove a stuck case out of a die if that ever happens - free of charge if you send it to them.

The Rock Chucker Master reloading kit is a great set up. It retails anywhere from $275 - to $300 bucks. You will still need to buy dies, shellholders, a caliper, and a case trimmer. If your loading for precision - match grade ammo - the single stage is all you will need. You will get more accurate round, if you weigh each charge & take your time. Consistency is the key to getting tight shooting groups. I would also invest in a hand powder trickler. Set your powder thow / dispenser to undercharge your needed weight, and hand trickle it until the scale go exact! One plus for RCBS - is most gun shops or reloading supllies will sell there equip. Dillion isnt sold evertwhere if you ever need to run out and get something in an emergency.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    FIRST thing to buy is the book: ABCs of reloading, and read it all the way through, twice.

Then kinda figure out what amount of ammo you shoot /week, or month or year.....
    How much time do you have for re-loading AND shooting......

Then review reloading gear. Seems they are like most products, big name usually means big money. LEE is one of lower priced machines, but is very good and will last for a long time. They do the job for most shooting. The more costly machines, like Dillon, also do the job, but have all kinds of add on pieces......

Only you can determine if you need a Cadillac Escolade, or a Subaru Forester. They both work, and both get the job done. Same with the reloading press. All depends on what you want, what you can afford, and how much time you have to spend using it.

R

S&W625

Aug 13, 2009
    Guess I need to toss my 2 cents into this conversation. 35 years ago I started with an RCBS single stage press and its still on my reloading bench today. Its used for mostly rifle loading. I use it alot for depriming and resizing military pistol brass before swaging primer pockets. Over the years I have added 3 more presses as my thirst for ammo grew. 25 years ago I added a dillion 450 which was converted to a 550 20 years ago. Thenanother 550 was added 5 years later as I beacame more lazy (have one for small and one for large primers). I now have 28 tool heads set up for various calibers. Then 10 years ago the 650 was set up. Guess I'm telling you this because you will never save a penny by reloading. However you will get to spend a lot more time at the range with more ammunition and the knowledge of what ittook to make this quality ammo.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Ya, it's good to know that I had the right attitude about not saving money. I think I will have both a single stage and the LNL on the bench in the end. I can see the reasons for having a single stage press handy, especially for match ammo. I do need to get the books... thanks for that advice a post or two above.

Thanks for all the help again. I am starting to set up the LNL now, so hopefully I will be making ammo soon.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom