• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    My vote would be for the CZ.
    It's interesting how many people have pointed to the CZ-75, Tanfoglio (CZ-75 derived), and Jericho (Tanfoglio-derived). Bit of a pattern there, to say the least.

One other shout-out is to the Beretta 70 series. Superb firearms, but I believe there were import issues with getting them in the USA.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I'll agree with the CZ's but I have one that hasn't been mentioned yet.
    Polish MAG-98
    A couple years ago there were a bunch on the market. I picked one up and it's one sweet shooting iron especially for the money.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    Does anyone even own one? Lotta hype for it, but I haven't seen any real reviews by owners.

I got to shoot a few when I worked at a range years ago. For me, they are accurate and feel really good in my hand. I never got around to purchasing one though.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    I've got two-
    1) The FN five-seven - for all the reasons mentored earlier- it really is a great shooting firearm.
    Ammo isn't too bad of you wait to buy it in bulk. I generally find AE 5728A for $.43-.45/rd.
    It's also compatible with the Sparrow .22 can

2) My Springfield Armory 9mm 1911 target loaded
    The trigger is great
    Recoil is minimal with 9mm and full sized frame
    Very well balanced
    The factory wood grips fit my hands well
    It's more accurate than I'll ever be, but shooting a 2" 3 shot group at 35' is obtainable for me. Usually all 9 shots in a 4" ring.
    It's been ultra reliable ~2500 rds through it now
    It makes my wife want to come to the range because she thinks it's her gun- she also enjoys shooting it.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    The Israeli Bul M-5. Double stack polymer and steel 1911 at 1/3 the price of an STI and uses Para-Ordnance mags. STI and Kimber used their frames once upon a time and Charles Daly and Springfield Armory used to put their own names on them and sell them. I have a $3500 STI open gun in 9x23mm and a Bul M-5 Limited gun in 9x23mm (used for $800) out of the Bul Custom Shop. Frankly the M-5 is more reliable.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I've got two-
    1) The FN five-seven - for all the reasons mentored earlier-

Who me? :)

I would have loved this. I planned for it for a while. I bought 2000 rds from cheaper than dirt in 2007. I sold them on gunbroker for $2500.00. It made it easier to watch my dreams slip away. Ammo prices are insane now. Otherwise the above assessment is entirely accurate.

Thanks for the hat tip. Looks like you timed it perfectly.

I'm seeing 2000 5.7 rounds for about $1000 : http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=431108764

Cabelas 2K rounds $1200: http://www.cabelas.com/product/FNH-x-Bulk-Ammunition-with-Dry-Storage-Box/705964.uts#productChart

Checking around at other places; I'd say the approximate price of a single round of 5.7 is about 50 cents each. That is about the same price for a single good round of .45 ACP. Still expensive I agree; but these are arguably among the most effective handgun calibers in existence today. Before I leave this point - I must say that cost of ammo is a significant factor because the more quality training you do, the safer you are; this is why I am a big fan of 9mm. It's effective and for the price the best value.

One last point - once a person it trained up to a reasonable level, I suggest that the average person that might need a handgun for home defense, ccw, or duty needs only to shoot a minimal number of rounds 'live fire' per year, let's just say 500 rounds for general purposes. I argue that 90% of a reasonably trained handgun owners annual training should be non-live shooting training, such as dry-fire, laser, air-soft, simunition, etc. The main purpose for shooting live periodically is to ensure the shooter is confident in actually shooting a live gun, can function it properly, can recover from live-fire recoil sufficiently to reacquire a proper sight picture (if warranted) and maintain familiarity with malfunctions drills/handling.

Having said all that....

Buy a CW9
    it's a 9mm, it does about everything you will need a handgun to do and is very cost effective (about half the price of 5.7 or .45ACP per round). Take a few weeks of training; stock up at least 1000 rounds and be done with it. :)

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    guys does not have to be cheap or inexpensive to be a best kept secret. Hells Bells if you think the Walther P38 with Waffenamps is the best shooter and they go for $1200, thats a pretty good secret

brentb636

Nov 16, 2013
    Holland, Mi
    Any comments on the trigger compared to Sigs (since both are DA/SA)? Or other comparisons?

I didn't shoot it enough to worry about the trigger. It WAS better than acceptable, but the RAMI is not a target gun, of course. I shoot 3 SIG's and 4 CZ's and the triggers are ALL different . :) I much prefer DA/SA triggers , and the differences gun to gun don't amount to much compared with DAO or DAK or LEM.

brentb636

Nov 16, 2013
    Holland, Mi
    It's interesting how many people have pointed to the CZ-75, Tanfoglio (CZ-75 derived), and Jericho (Tanfoglio-derived). Bit of a pattern there, to say the least.

One other shout-out is to the Beretta 70 series. Superb firearms, but I believe there were import issues with getting them in the USA.

The Beretta 70's are the sexiest pistols alive. The real keepers, though, are all .22 LR . :)

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    FEG and Kareen clones of the Browning/FN High Power ... same guns out of different factories

FEG's are labeled FEG, Mauser, Luger and Charles Daly (assembled in the US from FEG contract parts made in Hungary) ... there are also FEG counterfeits labeled as Belgian made FN's ... the non-FN serial number gives them away

Oddly, the FEG marked guns are starting to command a premium over the other FEG made Hi Powers, including the counterfeit FN's

Kareens are Israeli made copies

A counterfeit FN, Kareen, Mauser M80, Luger M80 or Daly might cost you half as much as a FN/Browning ... and you'll never know the difference at the range

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I really like CZ pistols for the ergonomics.

But the Polish 9mm MAG98 is an interesting item; 15 round double-stack mag, DA/SA, alloy frame, and seemingly only a couple thousand made. Still available for under $400; IMO this is a sleeper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom