• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kilgore Trout

Dec 18, 2010
    I normally use standard Hoppes gun oil on all my handguns, but I recently picked up a 15-22, and I am wondering if there is anything better (thicker, thinner, etc) and how wet to run it. If it makes a difference, it is the "performance center" version. I have read the posts about motor oil and bearing grease. Motor oil for the bolt? Grease for the bolt? Liberal with the lube, more conservative?

Thanks!

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Couple things.

1) MILITEC is snakeoil. I am not just saying that based on personal opinion. Tests havw been conducted by the Army and I've seen the results. SLIP products are pretty much the industry standard now. Well worth the money.

2) .22 Cal rimfire is extremely dirty and many of the actions are fairly sensitive. I recommend going without lube. If you use it, keep it away from the chamber, extractor, etc.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    1) MILITEC is snakeoil. I am not just saying that based on personal opinion. Tests havw been conducted by the Army and I've seen the results. SLIP products are pretty much the industry standard now. Well worth the money.

Well KevP and I agree Miltec is crap. :thumbsup:

nk02442

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 28, 2011
    even though miltech is not as good as slip or some of of the others, it works..... I ran a whole companies m16/m4/m9's and 249s on it for a year and a half. Its better then clp.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    even though miltech is not as good as slip or some of of the others, it works..... I ran a whole companies m16/m4/m9's and 249s on it for a year and a half. Its better then clp.

No its not and its never passed U.S. Military Small Arms Tests. Using that lube was likely against policy as well.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

here's a test where militec did worse than no lube at all.
    http://thektog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1119987390

here's a test of corrosion resistance where militec does significantly worse than the untreated control
    http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

I would not like to be issued the guns you were running on militec for some reason

nk02442

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 28, 2011
    here's a test where militec did worse than no lube at all.
    http://thektog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1119987390

here's a test of corrosion resistance where militec does significantly worse than the untreated control
    http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

I would not like to be issued the guns you were running on militec for some reason

Like I said a whole companies rifles. They had CLP in their otis kits but most had some miltec. The company sent me a couple cases to test out. We used them on the ranges before they guys went into country. They were always run very wet, Despite what was directed at the time (05/6ish). Ran better then CLP, not that there is much of a difference, just less lube being cooked off. Weapons ran, worked.

The ATC at Aberdeen is not the end all be all. Some pretty shitty products have made it through their testing, and some good products have been rejected.. XM25 is a good example. I worked at aberdeen and hung with quite a few of them. Its not always what it seems.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Like I said a whole companies rifles. They had CLP in their otis kits but most had some miltec. The company sent me a couple cases to test out. We used them on the ranges before they guys went into country. They were always run very wet, Despite what was directed at the time (05/6ish). Ran better then CLP, not that there is much of a difference, just less lube being cooked off. Weapons ran, worked.

The ATC at Aberdeen is not the end all be all. Some pretty shitty products have made it through their testing, and some good products have been rejected.. XM25 is a good example. I worked at aberdeen and hung with quite a few of them. Its not always what it seems.

i see....so ure saying this is all wrong..
    http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d09735r.pdf

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    From my understanding, Militec is meant to bond to the metal, not used "wet". I used some in some engines and in my bikes and have had great results. I know of people who heat up cycle chains in the oven while soaking in it and it helps prolong the chains. For it to effective, you would have to heat the barrel or whatever other parts you would want to use it on while wet with Militec, then wipe clean and use your normal lubricant. I don't think it is a good replacement for lube in normal wear parts if they don't reach a certain temperature.

nk02442

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 28, 2011
    i see....so ure saying this is all wrong..
    http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d09735r.pdf

All this tells me is they were incorrectly assigned an NSN and they failed some of the subjective tests the army did. They tested it as a CLP, which it is most definatley not. As a lubricant, it works. It works better than CLP and lasts longer through high rates of fire. M249 handguards were melting before we had any stopages that were lube related. I am not saying its the end all be all, But as a lube it works.

Take it how you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom