What local shop has expertise (and inventory) focused on shotguns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcrusselljr

Aug 28, 2011
    Is there a local shop that carries a decent amount of shotguns and accessories?

Seems like most shops I've visited are more handguns and accessories, or rifles and accessories......looking for somewhere local with experience and inventory focused on the shotgun stuff. Would prefer a local small business to a bass pro.

Would like to see some different shell pouches, recoil absorbers sized and ground to fit my shotguns as an available service, and guidance on some future purchases for an over/under and breakaway.

Who's the local guru for this kind of thing?

Thanks.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    what is local to you??? it would help if we knew the general area you live?

If you live in Baltimore Northwest Pawn has a great selection of shotguns

I think the best selection of shotguns I've seen around my area is Ricks Guns in Cecil Co.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Again as fps noted, "local to where"? If you're in central Maryland, Bart's Sports World in Glen Burnie has the best selection of shotguns around, as well as staff who are knowledgeable about clay target games and hunting. They definitely have the broadest selection of high-end shotguns from Beretta, Browning, Guerini and Krieghoff. Unfortunately, they also have other staff for whom "surly" would be the kindest possible description.

Joe

xcavater

Fed Up
    Oct 27, 2008
    MD
    Albrights in Easton is where I would go before I ever went to Barts. And I live 10 minutes from Barts and 1.5 hours from Albrights.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    OP, not sure what you are talking about when you said sized recoil absorbers. Do you mean recoil pads? If so, almost any gun shop can help in that regard. Generally speaking, shops that cater to black rifle and tacticool stuff usually have the bolt on HD accessories that change perfectly functional guns into something from "Starship Troopers". Target and hunting shotguns are usually found in different type shops, like Barts or Albrights or even better - Millers Gun Center in New Casrle, De. To inquire about the future purchase of sporting arms (O/Us and the like), you would be better served speaking with a knowledable shooter. This is because each shop has different guns they push, which may or may not be the right choice for you. Let me know if I can help.

jcrusselljr

Aug 28, 2011
    Thanks all. By local, I simply meant Maryland, although many people mentally default to Baltimore area when referencing "local".

You may have a shop that comes to mind when someone mentions carbine. Same with used handgun group buys, same with bulk ammo.....I'm looking for the same for shotguns.

Sound like Bart's and the other pace in Easton should get onto the short list.....will check them out. Thank you!

jcrusselljr

Aug 28, 2011
    OP, not sure what you are talking about when you said sized recoil absorbers. Do you mean recoil pads? If so, almost any gun shop can help in that regard. Generally speaking, shops that cater to black rifle and tacticool stuff usually have the bolt on HD accessories that change perfectly functional guns into something from "Starship Troopers". Target and hunting shotguns are usually found in different type shops, like Barts or Albrights or even better - Millers Gun Center in New Casrle, De. To inquire about the future purchase of sporting arms (O/Us and the like), you would be better served speaking with a knowledable shooter. This is because each shop has different guns they push, which may or may not be the right choice for you. Let me know if I can help.

I am looking for someplace that can fit one of the grind to fit recoil pads for me. I can't get one of the preformed ones to fit my 870 wingmaster classic trap.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay

jcrusselljr

Aug 28, 2011
    Don't know anyone that does it while you wait, if that's what you mean. Usually gets sent out or to the local service guy, and takes a week to two weeks.

ps: It's not that hard to do if you have a belt sander.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/658338/miles-gilbert-recoil-pad-installation-fixture

No belt sander, that's my issue....happy to send off my original and buy the new pad from whoever does the work, just need direction on who to contact for this work.

Thanks again!

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    No belt sander, that's my issue....happy to send off my original and buy the new pad from whoever does the work, just need direction on who to contact for this work.

Thanks again!

You'll have to send the stock too. They need the stock to get the toe/pitch angles etc. right. Depends on whose pad you're using too. Kick-EZ, Gooey, etc.
    I had mine done at Barts for my Guerinis/Berettas. Did my own on the lesser guns.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    I do my own. I have a jig and a 12" disc sander. I got tired of paying $100 for pads. I've done a dozen or so and that paid for the disc sander several times over! There's also a guy at PG Trap & Skeet who does them and is supposed to be very good at it. Between Barts and Albrights, I would use Barts. They farm the work out, but I've never heard of any complaints. I dropped two guns off at Albrights a few years ago - one for a pad and a rifle for one hole to be drilled and tapped for scope base. The hole ended up off center and the gun with the pad ended up over a 1/4" short.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I have been 110% satisfied with the work from Barts. don't know who does it, but they are good. I had two combs installed (stock cut and Gracoil hardware installed) and a couple of pads. The stock work looked as good or better than factory work and they actually used the Gracoil hardware even though I didn't specify that.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    I have been 110% satisfied with the work from Barts. don't know who does it, but they are good. I had two combs installed (stock cut and Gracoil hardware installed) and a couple of pads. The stock work looked as good or better than factory work and they actually used the Gracoil hardware even though I didn't specify that.

+1 on Barts, they have some fine shotguns.:)

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I too have had no complaints with the relatively simple work Bart's has had done for me. And while gun shop employees can often be first class a**holes, I've never found the guys at Bart's to be that way.

Albright's on the other hand I found difficult to deal with. The straight forward job I left with them took forever and cost hundreds more than I expected. When Cole later worked on the same gun they told me the work had been done wrong. Cole was able to correct it just in time, before my upgraded stock began to split. I'd sooner take up golf than have them work on one of my shotguns again.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Bart's in Glen Burnie or go up to Cabela's in PA.

Both of them have their stock listed online, no need to actually go if you know what you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom