• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My last house on an acre near the entrance to my neighborhood, I think I ran across a dozen ground hogs in the 7 years I lived there. Popped one with quiets that was trying to get into the garden.

In 4 years at my current house, on >4 acres much further back in the same neighborhood I've eliminated about 4 or 5 each year. So far this year, I am up on around number 9. Just popped one almost on my back porch. He was on my front porch a few minutes earlier, circled around and came back up through the woods. Pretty sure he doesn't make it, maybe he will. Popped him through a citronella bush with a reasonably clear target at 8yds. Though he was head on to me on his back haunches, so pretty sure it was only a single lung hit. Pretty sure the immediate follow up missed and the third round was a bit of a hail mary after him in the woods 40yds away as he was rounding some wineberries. I thought that had stopped him, but when I walked down, nothing. So either a 2nd not immediately fatal/disabling hit, or I missed (it would have been in his backside) I know roughly where all of the burrows are back in the woods, so he wasn't too far from one. I'd give him 50/50 he survives a single lung hit. He was definitely sluggish after he got the first 10 yds.

I have 6 more DRT. One I hit that died under my shed (yuck) for sure based on the carrion smell and swarm of flies 4 days later. And another I hit that might have made it under a neighbor's shed and died (sorry there if you are my neighbor and reading this).

So 7 for sure dead, 1 maybe, 1 might (or might be dead already as I type this). What the heck? I think the most I whacked in a year previously was 5, and 4 the two years before that.

So I need to invest in one of those 22 gatling guns? Because I feel like I am fending of a damned horde of them. Also it is too bad my wife won't let me (and well, I wouldn't feel comfortable with my kids) keep my buckmark with can on in my office desk drawer.

Was it because of such a mild winter? I feel like I clear them out and the ones from neighbors just migrate in. Should I try filling the burrows at some point? A good way to distinguish between ground hog and fox burrows? Because, the foxes leave my chickens alone, so I like having a bunch around to keep the squirrels in check (and I'd like to think they get the occasional ground hog too).

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    We've had a few mild winters. Lots of acorns, so lots of squirrels, groundhogs etc.

Terps2003

MDS Supporter
    Feb 14, 2023
    Baltimore County
    I have quite a few in my yard as well and use them for target practice. Have killed about 5 with my AR .22 lr this year. In years past I have shot at them with my single shot .22 lr. Not affective. Especially if you hit them in the head. .22 lr not powerful enough to penetrate skull from distance. Was like Caddy Shack, bullet bounced off and then they would just stare at me. Got to get them in the lung or under the chin works best when they are standing.

Last edited:

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    I got alot of groundhogs and when the crops are up they are almost safe.
    IMG_6325.jpg

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I have quite a few in my yard as well and use them for target practice. Have killed about 5 with my AR .22 lr this year. In years past I have shot at them with my single shot .22 lr. Not affective. Especially if you hit them in the head. .22 lr not powerful enough to penetrate skull from distance. Was like Caddy Shack, bullet bounced off and then they would just stare at me. Got to get them in the lung or under the chin works best when they are standing.
    I've killed a bunch of groundhogs with headshots using .22lr. Just whatever cheap ones I had nothing special. Never had a problem with it not being effective.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I will gladly come help anyone with groundhog extermination.

I have a suppressed bolt action .22LR that is whisper quiet. Send me a PM. I'd love to have the extra shooting time.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Definitely a lot of ground hog roadkill on the rural roads here in Frederick these past few months.

Almost ran into two squabbling turkeys that refused to get out of the road as they fought yesterday.

Birds of prey sightings are exponential this year as well.

It appears nature is abundant lately.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    They just overload areas if not hunted. My neighbor told me when he bought 15 acres in 1990 off the farmer running cattle. The first summer in the house he killed 73 ground hogs. He said they have been manageable after that will just a couple killed each year now. They we allowed to run wild in the cow pastures and over populate.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Would love to use my 5.56 AR, but neighbors may have an issue with that.
    Yeah, that's my issue. somewhat over an acre, half wooded, a couple neighbors also on about 4 acres, but the rest are about an acre and a half. A bunch okay with me archery deer hunting. Some find with me whacking ground hogs or predators. But I am not going to push it, and though a ricochet from a 22lr can be dangerous, or fatal in a very unique hit, it is VASTLY less dangerous than pretty much anything centerfire.

On the skull, dunno. I've never hit one at range in the head. Nothing I've shot at them has failed to penetrate well. Near as I can tell the only ones that weren't through and through were steep raking shots (down the front or down the back) where I couldn't find an exit, or segmented rounds.

I normally use Winchester 42gr sub-x rounds that were discontinued in 2020. I still have 3 1/2 boxes. I like CCI 45gr hollow point suppressor rounds better, but they were out for pretty much the entire pandemic and then scored 5 boxes at a reasonable price maybe 6-8 months ago. I haven't bothered switching back. The CCI are a little more accurate and seemed to be slightly more deadly, but at this point I've whacked about half a dozen ground hogs with 45gr CCI suppressor, half a dozen with segmented quiets, one with a subsonic segmented, and something like 20+ with the 42gr Win sub-x (~4 years, 5 summers in this house now, so probably around 35 total ground hogs).

I kind of just want to use up the Winchester first before switching back to the CCI suppressor rounds.

Of course there have been a couple of times the ground hog was DRT and I couldn't find a hole or blood on it. Loose skin, plus reasonably thick fur. Plus not really wanting to handle them for too long in the heat, flies, ticket, etc. I always put on gloves before I throw them far back in the woods, but still.

I'd imagine a round at a shallow angle might just deflect off their head. All my head shots have been finishing them off (or coons in traps).

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Definitely a lot of ground hog roadkill on the rural roads here in Frederick these past few months.

Almost ran into two squabbling turkeys that refused to get out of the road as they fought yesterday.

Birds of prey sightings are exponential this year as well.

It appears nature is abundant lately.
    It's global warming!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    They just overload areas if not hunted. My neighbor told me when he bought 15 acres in 1990 off the farmer running cattle. The first summer in the house he killed 73 ground hogs. He said they have been manageable after that will just a couple killed each year now. They we allowed to run wild in the cow pastures and over populate.
    Dang!

Yeah, if I was on something more like 8+ acres, I'd probably get a 22 hornet and get it threaded. Not shot one, but I've shot low powered .223 handloads and the crack isn't much worse than a 22 crack, and not a whole lot louder.

I'd just do low powered .223, but as of yet, I haven't found a low that's accurate and consistent on the low end of the power range (like 2000fps).

Now I want to go check GRT and see if maybe a slower powder, or something like H110 in a .223 case might get her done. I wonder what velocity match rounds will expand or fragment at? Something under 2000fps? A 75gr at 1300fps if it'll come apart would be perfect.

But probably would be better off just using hornet bullets at around hornet velocities out of my 223 (for sure fast enough twist to stabilize).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Hmmm, GRT is telling me 8gr of CFE Pistol under a 45gr Sierra SP Hornet bullet out of a .223 should get me about 2200fps from a 22" barrel. 22.8k PSI max pressure. Maybe I'll pick up 100 bullets and play with that a little to see where I can get things. Just out of curiosity. I'd imagine that would be fairly quiet out of a 22" barrel running a medium speed pistol powder. I'd be running it out of a 22" Howa mini 1500 in .223

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Only seen a handful of groundhog sightings in my parts . But unusually, lots of rabbits that normally are scarce .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom