• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • donw@fyi.net

Mar 20, 2014
    Gaithersburg, MD
    O.K. I admit that I'm brand new to shooting and this forum. I also realize that any hobby has to have its own argot and one of the responsibilities of a newbie is to learn the "secret language" of that hobby.

However, I've seen several references to Muddy Branch Range. Muddy Branch Avenue isn't so terribly far from where I live. I've followed many of the links offered for Range Organizations. Couldn't find it. I've even goggled Muddy Branch Range to no avail.

Would someone take pity on a newbie and give me some information on how to find/identify this range?

Thank you all for your responses. It's nice to know I'm only moderately crazy and not completely gone :-)

Last edited:

cestrella13

Cosmoline Dreams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    If you find it; let me know lol..the only signs I have ever seen off Muddy Branch avenue that would pertain to a range are for an entrance to the I.W.L.A., which is for members and their guests only.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I've lived in that part if MoCo for most of my life. I've also shot guns since I was 12 or13. I've also been a member of either bcc iwla ( in Poolesville) or WAC iwla (in Damascus). There may have been a muddy branch range years ago but I strongly doubt there is one there now. The iwla headquarters is off muddy branch but I've never heard of anyone shooting there. The Rockville iwla is up off of clopper rd. The have a range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    Pretty sure Izaak Walton is off of Conservation Lane which is off of Muddy Branch Rd.

Edit: As stated above I don't hear firing there ever. I live right by it.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    Never heard of Muddy Branch range either but when I saw the name here the first thing I thought of was AGC after a rain. :)

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Pretty sure Izaak Walton is off of Conservation Lane which is off of Muddy Branch Rd.

Edit: As stated above I don't hear firing there ever. I live right by it.

The Izaak Walton League's national headquarters is at 707 Conservation Lane, just off Muddy Branch Road. I don't think they have anything other than offices there. I shoot at the Rockville chapter, located at Clopper and Waring Station Roads.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    There was and may still be a shotgun clays range in that area. I'd suggest a trip to Atlantic Guns in Rockville to inquire, if it's still there they will know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom