• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    You'll give away your location if you do. LOL
    I get up at night all the time and the ambient light from my stove light and a night light with in my living room is enough for me to see everything.
    Do people live in catacombs?
    For the record, I turn on a salt lamp every evening. It provides a very soft, low level (think almost romantic, eh) of ambient light in the main space which includes any and all access routes to my MBR which is blacked out. Anyone in that space will be back lighted.

I hate to get caught agreeing with Blaster (again) but the damn guy just makes sense... :-)

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    You'll give away your location if you do. LOL
    I get up at night all the time and the ambient light from my stove light and a night light with in my living room is enough for me to see everything.
    Do people live in catacombs?

Of course but what are people thinking is going to happen inside their home in the middle of the night? A person is going to break in and after they hear you walking around and see light coming from the bedroom area they are then going to slink down the hallway to hunt you down and kill you? I mean maybe if you're in the witness protection program or something.
    And yeah I have enough ambient lighting from my exterior lights leaking back into the house to see whoever it is I need to shoot. My goal is to have more outside lights than my neighbors so I get picked last as the house to invade.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I dunno. Maybe I've practiced so much over the years shooting in a nil to zero light fuselage, that a house is a no brainier.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For aiming - tritium iron sights .

Which is getting ahead o.o f myself .

Two variable grid :

Being able to see target.
    Being able to see sights/ optics/ whatever to effectively shoot

Can potentially have one or the other, neither , or both.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Our eyes key on 3 things..... color, contrast, and movement. Not so much color in low light, but certainly contrast and movement. If you can't hit a moving silhouette at "in home " distances without trying to tame a sight on it, you need practice.
    Oh, and all those gun range safety rules everyone preaches so much? Yeah, they go right out the window in a defense shoot. Save those for the range.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If you ever need the rifle for self-defense inside your house, it's so up close and personal that sights are almost pointless. You'll be under extreme stress and won't want the distraction of trying to look through a small opening or tube. As Bigfoot44 mentioned, the one thing that might help is tritium sights, assuming you have the time and presence of mind to notice instead of focusing on the perp. Beyond that, get a good flashlight.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    But to answer the actual question, a flashlight is best to add light to a low light situation. An illuminated sight is to aid your eyes seeing the sight, not a target.
    A flashlight is the answer to the question.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Of course but what are people thinking is going to happen inside their home in the middle of the night? A person is going to break in and after they hear you walking around and see light coming from the bedroom area they are then going to slink down the hallway to hunt you down and kill you? I mean maybe if you're in the witness protection program or something.
    And yeah I have enough ambient lighting from my exterior lights leaking back into the house to see whoever it is I need to shoot. My goal is to have more outside lights than my neighbors so I get picked last as the house to invade.

If someone is breaking in to take things, they are more likely to do it when you are away at work. If someone is breaking in at night while you and your family are home, it's likely because they want to harm you or your family. In this case, why give that person any advanced notice of where you are, or visual information?

Lights allow you to control the information flow. You can turn it on and off to reveal what you want. You can also put a hotspot, of sufficient candela, on someone's face to remove their ability to see anything.

Things are always situationally dependent though. You may have a switch to the area you're moving in to that doesn't light up the area you're in. In that case, just flicking the switch doesn't really give the person in the room much more information(you're hidden to a degree in the photonic barrier of darkness around you...like moses behind the big fireball when egyptians were after them). You're trying to avoid a situation in which you're lighting the room you're in, but creating a situation in which areas around you are dark and able to hide someone.... or to backlight yourself

Benjamin

May 30, 2017
    Westminster
    Can anyone recommend a good AR light? Doesn't have to be tactical, just reliable and not too expensive.

Streamlight HL-X, 1,000 lumens and I think about 15,000 candela. The rail mount version is just over $100, ModernOutdoorAdventures is the cheapest deal I've found. Comes with normal button switch and a tape switch with several mounting options. I love mine. Pretty indestructible too. Anyone that says too many lumens is blinding hasn't trained with their light properly.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Can anyone recommend a good AR light? Doesn't have to be tactical, just reliable and not too expensive.

These work well. About $100, very well built, and the tlr1 makes it easy to toss a light on 12 or 6 o'clock to be righty & lefty friendly. They both have pretty good output with good amount of candela in the hotspot for throw.
    https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-...8-1&keywords=streamlight+tlr-1+hl+weaponlight

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-...ries/dp/B06VTLLDH4/ref=bdl_pop_ttl_B06VTLLDH4

Buckeye_Nut

Jun 15, 2017
    Waldorf

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Jeff Cooper used to show the best ways to turn your house into a defensive stronghold. Part of that discussion is about proper lighting techniques.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom