• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Here's a hypothetical question for you C&R handgun enthusiasts. Let's say that a friend comes up to you and says that he has $1,500 to spend on the foundations of a new C&R collection (assume he's got his 03FFL already). He wants to buy three handguns that:
    • Are C&Rs
    • Are reasonably likely to go up in value over the next 5-10 years
    • Can all be used as shooters
    • Are fun to shoot
    • Will fit into his budget at reasonable current market prices--perhaps with a bit of searching (not once-in-a-lifetime deals, in other words)

What would you suggest? Since we already know that a 1911A is out of the running, what three would come to mind?

I think that my own list would be:
    1. Argentine Sistema
    2. CZ-82
    3. Either a Spanish Star B or an Argentine Ballester

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    P38
    CZ52
    Tokarev TTC
    2 Nagant Revolvers (only because you can fit a silencer to it.)

5 Firearms, still well under budget!

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    NOTE: This is just a hypothetical, to generate some interesting discussion. I was driving home yesterday and was trying to think what the best combination of three fun, affordable, accurate, practical, and good-investment C&R handguns would be. We all look at these things differently, and I enjoy seeing how others would approach questions like this.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    or just save up a little more and just buy a crate of Nagant revolvers.

Heyyyyy now.. that sounds like a good idea..... be right back..

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    id have to agree that a P38 should be in there, these have kinda sat for several years around the same price point, not seeming to sell all that fast, but the fact remains these are ww2 nazi issue pistols, nazi guns are ALWAYS going to go up in value, more so than most of the gun market.

so once they're no longer commercially available i think you'll quickly see p38s approach the $1k price range.

cz-82 is a great buy, and they will go up in value, but only to a point, because as awesome as they are, you have realize they dont actually have a ton of inherent collectors value. so even though i would highly recommend someone to buy one now while they're still relatively widely available, if we're talking about starting a handgun collection with long term goals in mind i think id actually leave it off the list.

the next would be a star B 9mm, these have everything going for them, they're 1911's and all 1911s have a basic interest and value, they're 9mm, so they will always have affordable easy to find ammo (once this panic ends) they are excellent to shoot, and they are wwII era pistols, some actually did see service in wwII under various contracts for various nations.

and then for the 3rd one i would probably agree on the sistema or balleter if it fits the budget still.

alternately i would say an enfield or webley revolver, or instead of the 3rd option get a tokarev or two and a pair of nagant revolvers.

or just save up a little more and just buy a crate of Nagant revolvers.

Heyyyyy now.. that sounds like a good idea..... be right back..

"dont tempt me frodo!"

i think there are a LOT of them in a crate though, like 40.

that would be cool to split between a few collectors though.

although i fear if a rare date was in there, the day would end in a violent pistol whipping fight.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I would substitute the P1 for the P38 only because I think it's still collectible but also more for shooting. I'd be afraid to regularly shoot the more expensive P38 AND would have $$ left for ammo.

4 guns, 4 countries, 4 calibers--balance in the world!

-Sistema Colt
    -P1
    -CZ82
    -Tokarev TT33
    --leftover money for ammo

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula