• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Apparently few realize that there's regulations and standards from the BATF regarding serial numbers on weapons including fonts, font size, etc.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Apparently few realize that there's regulations and standards from the BATF regarding serial numbers on weapons including fonts, font size, etc.
    Not sure about font size. They don't seem to have a minimum size for NFA, but they do have a minimum for engraving depth.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    As pointed out in the other thread, prior to 1968, serial numbers were not required. Many manufacturers only had date codes.

Who thinks all pre-68 firearms will be accounted for and confiscated?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Forget % numbers , they no longer matter one way or the other .

The ATF now operates on the basis that * Readily Convertible * is the overarching defining standard .

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Guess I need to clarify,
    When they ban un-serialized firearms,, the end product of an 80% build

and what do they do with the thousands of unserialized firearms from decades ago that are perfectly legal? (So are 80% firearms but these were around long before 80% guns)

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    We now they are going to do something. The way they will developed public support is to do what DC has done in its press released and spin to reporters; Create a reporting category for "ghost guns" and crime related to it, and include any gun for an 80% done with a jig, any 3d printer build up, and CNC mill down, PLUS any gun where serial number has been damaged. They will then imply that any crime, death or injurie from that class of guns would have been prevented with a prohibition. Any "20 shootings with ghost guns!" could be in DC 20 killings with regulars old mass produced guns that had their serials damaged.

Look at the panic the national gun control lobby caused with sky is falling claims on "3d printed guns" be it aggregated on a polymer printer or milled down on an CNC. here is what they know: 99.9% of the reporters covering this do not know a trigger from a muzzle and can easily be convinced to write total BS/

Now what is their aim? Firstly it has been legal to make your own gun in the US FOREVER, and was so in the colonies before their was a USA entity as well. They want to stop that completely. Ancillary to that they want to stop your ability to fix your gun, put on accessories, and stop your ability to alter your gun in any way as well. DC for example asserts that they have to be told, and you have to ask permission to put a 17" barrel on a rifle that you had a 16.25" barrel. DC also asserts you cannot put a .22 conversion so you can plink cheaply at the range on your 9mm without permission. DC asserts you can NOT buy a Sig 320 FCG alone, and that if you buy a complete p320 in 9mm, and register it you have to request new registration you then get the 40 barrel or even a longer 9mm.

The national gun control lobby also sees benefit to their aims in pushing more microstamping requirements. That is not just about what they say it is about. It makes it harder and more complex for users to make guns legally and also to replace common wear parts on mass produced guns.

So we can say, "what fools," going from 80% to 75% is five minutes more work, but their game is in fact to incrementally establish control over your agility to make, alter, or even fix your own firearm.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I tried doing a few 80%s. Messed every single one of those things up and put them in my recycling bin.
    I know lots of people who did it perfect their first try if they are familiar with working with jigs and drill press. A understand p320 fire control group is nearly impossible to screw up.

Also in places where it is legal to make them, while you can't have someone make it for you and sell it or gift finished one to you; there is as I recall some latitude as to advising you while you do it. Exactly how much advice while you do it I don't recall, but there is some amount of advisement that is allowed.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Define tyranny:

When all or a majority of a population is guilty of violating capricious laws, and can be fined or jailed at anytime for any reason; but are allowed to continue to lead their peaceful lives only due to government inefficiency or false beneficence; with a clear delineation between special protected classes and the common man.

Seems to be where we are headed.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I know lots of people who did it perfect their first try if they are familiar with working with jigs and drill press. A understand p320 fire control group is nearly impossible to screw up.

Also in places where it is legal to make them, while you can't have someone make it for you and sell it or gift finished one to you; there is as I recall some latitude as to advising you while you do it. Exactly how much advice while you do it I don't recall, but there is some amount of advisement that is allowed.

I think you missed his sarcasm.

The Sig 80 percent is foolproof. The jig literally makes a perfect bend and aligns the holes. It's actually easier than doing a Glock clone frame. You would need to try to mess it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom