• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chieflywaze

Mar 13, 2023
    Bought a new Shockwave, and upon close exam I discovers the bead was messed up!
    IMG_8521.JPG
    IMG_8519 2.JPG

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    In the early 90's , I bought a new 500 from a LGS. The safety would not disengage. The LGS had to send it back for repairs. Mossberg sent it back and this time you couldn't engage the safety. Talk about a disaster waiting to happen. The LGS took it to a gunsmith and tried to charge me for the repair. Told him I wanted a refund then. He took care of the charges and I still have that shotgun. I was so frustrated , I swore off Mossberg since then.

So....did Mossberg ever have any quality?

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    Same thing that happened to Remingtons and Winchesters unfortunately.

I have 2 870’s that are about 30 years age difference and the quality is noticeably worse.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Bought a new Shockwave, and upon close exam I discovers the bead was messed up! View attachment 451500 View attachment 451497
    Send it back to Mossberg. They'll fix it. My BIL picked up a 940 Pro Tactical a few months ago. There were some issues with the bolt roll pin and elevator. They took care of the issue fairly quickly. There are always "X" number of items per "Y" units produced that leave a factory (regardless of manufacturer) with some quality issue. It's what customer service and warranties are for.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Mossberg quality started at the bottom of the hill. Remington and Winchester took a bit to get all the way down.

While their quality isn’t quite there, I’ve found their customer service to be pretty good.

Chieflywaze

Mar 13, 2023
    Same thing that happened to Remingtons and Winchesters unfortunately.

I have 2 870’s that are about 30 years age difference and the quality is noticeably worse.
    It is unfortunate that some U.S. gun makers are slacking on quality, for instance, Turkish gun makers are importing some decent quality and price reasonable firearms. Plus they include a nice tupperware case (vs cardboard box) and at lease 2 or 3 mags for pistols and 3 chokes for shotguns.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Good grief. How did that miss QC? If the hole is centered and the threads look OK, I would just order a couple beads and be done with it.

I had an issue with a 590A1. I forget the correct terminology but the slide assembly jammed up on the shell release and deformed the metal all to hell. I contacted Mossberg and they sent me a new parts free of charge.

I also had an issue with a Remington 870 Police. I didn’t notice until I got it home the bead was missing half of one side. Called Remington and they sent me a new barrel free of charge. The bead is silver soldered on so not an easy fix.

Good luck.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Bought a Turkish-made Winchester SXP Defender in 20 gauge. It cost less than $300 new, fit and finish are very nice, everything works as it should, and it's the smoothest pump gun I've ever owned. It kicks like a mule but it will do the job and for the money, it makes a perfect little home defense gun that even momma can handle. American makers need to wake up and get their quality control in order.

FZRracer400!

Nov 8, 2022
    RIP MD.
    Wow, sad to read mossberg quality seems to have fallen. I bought a 500 persuader with the extended mag tube, back in 99. We took that thing to Myrtle Grove damn near every weekend it seemed, for a good few years. Never missed a beat. Odd gun for a range shooter but it’s what I had. I’ve regretted selling it since the day I sold it. I’ve been looking around for another mossberg shotgun actually ……..of course then there’s our 702 that’s had thousands of rounds run through it, and I admit it’s rarely deep cleaned but still keeps on ticking.

FZRracer400!

Nov 8, 2022
    RIP MD.
    I know this thread is about mossberg……but on a quick note the worst shotgun has to be a Hatfield single shot. I bought one thinking” hey it’s a single shot, how bad can it be?” Yeah, it won’t even set off the damn primers, or it has a #100 trigger pull lol. It’s the only 12g we’ve got currently……..that’s what stoked the mossberg search lately.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    It sounds like people are buying guns without looking them over before they take them away.
    The bead on that shotgun looks like it was bent over from handling or got damaged after it was installed.
    If you spot something thats not right before you leave, thats time to get another one of the shelf or not accept it in the first place.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    It sounds like people are buying guns without looking them over before they take them away.
    The bead on that shotgun looks like it was bent over from handling or got damaged after it was installed.
    If you spot something thats not right before you leave, thats time to get another one of the shelf or not accept it in the first place.

Good point. Seems there's something that happens to the human brain, when someone really wants something. Many and most tend to glace something, but not really scrutinize it, and fail to actually see what they're looking at. Happens with guns and cars especially. Happens with women too, for that matter. Then later, it's how the hell did I miss that?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Good point. Seems there's something that happens to the human brain, when someone really wants something. Many and most tend to glace something, but not really scrutinize it, and fail to actually see what they're looking at. Happens with guns and cars especially. Happens with women too, for that matter. Then later, it's how the hell did I miss that?
    Same thing with the insurance and training requirements in the other thread.
    Sometimes problems are not always easy to detect even with a good look over and the desire to gratify oneself overrides good judgement.
    I do not open a dozen eggs or I'm not in the habit of doing that just becuase theirs a couple of cases of eggs there.
    Results are dependent on what you put into something, not always what you expect.
    Sometimes when I buy something like a gun Ill ask to see a couple of them before walking out of there with one of them.
    Ill do the same thing when buying a car or maybe a gun but not for an extension cord or other trivial purchase like a space heater or something but I may pull it out of the box and check it out some.
    I get what I accept every single time though but not always what I expect.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Same thing with the insurance and training requirements in the other thread.
    Sometimes problems are not always easy to detect even with a good look over and the desire to gratify oneself overrides good judgement.
    I do not open a dozen eggs or I'm not in the habit of doing that just becuase theirs a couple of cases of eggs there.
    Results are dependent on what you put into something, not always what you expect.
    Sometimes when I buy something like a gun Ill ask to see a couple of them before walking out of there with one of them.
    Ill do the same thing when buying a car or maybe a gun but not for an extension cord or other trivial purchase like a space heater or something but I may pull it out of the box and check it out some.
    I get what I accept every single time though but not always what I expect.

Yes. As you note with your examples, there's definitely a gratification element in play. Seems the more one truly wants something, the greater the tendency to overlook flaws. There's probably a clinical name for this tendency.

It'll take someone a whole lot smarter than I am, to know why this occurs. But the phenomenon seems to be real.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Yes. As you note with your examples, there's definitely a gratification element in play. Seems the more one truly wants something, the greater the tendency to overlook flaws. There's probably a clinical name for this tendency.

It'll take someone a whole lot smarter than I am, to know why this occurs. But the phenomenon seems to be real.
    In the industrial world it's called Human Performance-
    It's the minds pleasure response overriding first check- second checker, good comm skills and that sort of thing.
    When we rely on others, we have no choice to accept what they bring or just take the time to do good place keeping.
    Blaming others is a natural progression to not using good place keeping measures such as inspecting what we expect.
    But any way it sucks to here the SG guy a dud right out of the box. Maybe someone picked it up for them and they were in a hurry for all I know.
    The gun shop guy could have knocked it over from a rack when he was taking the numbers off it or something too after it was inspected by the owner. I'm not going to rail Mossberg over it though and declare their QAQC is gone all to hell.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Can't have high quality and low price in the same product. I'm sure Mossberg CS will take care of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom