What guns would you take on an expedition to Alaska?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Plenty of backcountry residents who aren't trophy hunters or guncranks by inclination have a .30-06 as only gun. The issue anti-bear gun for Alaska Game Wardens is 12ga w/ Brenekes .

If you had a base camp then Moose is long term food supply between smoking and storing in cache. Cpl three guys , constantly on the move with only what's on their backs ? Going to suck to be you.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Certainly not a Boberg :)

:lol2: Minuteman will have one in each boot - each as a back up for the other. :lol2:

Certainly not. Very funny. :cool:

All kidding aside - I took out a Boberg again the other weekend and it took several minutes to explain why we weren't going to shoot it. The verdict is still not in, I think if it's properly cleaned and lubricated, with the right ammo, it could be the ultimate ccw gun. But not one I'd want to take on an expedition or anywhere you couldn't guarantee having ammo that works.

The FN 5.7 on the other hand, might be the perfect gun; it is super accurate at range too, very powerful round (for self defense or medium to small game), very light weight, and comes standard with 20 rounds, and 30 round mags are plentiful. I would feel sufficiently armed with 30 rounds of 5.7, more so than 7 rounds of 12 gauge slugs. Besides the pistol will be a lot easier to carry and keep at the ready.

I read they are popular for killing hogs. That's about as big an animal one might even try to kill on an expedition lasting only a few days and covering many miles.

2010-12-02_12-47-12_153.jpg

This would be all I would need for the trip (that's 90 rounds total in 3 magazines):

EGS-Five-Seven-03.jpg

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Just trying to help Blaster229 toss a little humor into the thread. You have me intrigued with that 5.7.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Looks like most folks lean toward large calibers; that sounds good to me too. :)

But when considering the totality of the situation - hiking long distances, surviving from major predators, and possibly harvesting food; I feel like the FN 5.7 is the ultimate firearm.

Warning, this next image is graphic...

this person survived a bear attack.

The most common advice I read is keep your back pack on, and crawl up into a ball, protecting your head and vital organs.

---

Victim of bear attack, who survived:

bear-victim.png

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Looks like most folks lean toward large calibers; that sounds good to me too. :)

But when considering the totality of the situation - hiking long distances, surviving from major predators, and possibly harvesting food; I feel like the FN 5.7 is the ultimate firearm.

Warning, this next image is graphic...

this person survived a bear attack.

The most common advice I read is keep your back pack on, and crawl up into a ball, protecting your head and vital organs.

---

Victim of bear attack, who survived:

bear-victim.png

Yeah, but the pics of the victims that did not survive a bear attack are usually a pile of poo.

Also, there is a difference between "surviving" a bear attack next to your house or somewhere close to civilization versus when when you are in the middle of nowhere. Even more so if there is nobody else around to cart you out of the wilderness, administer first aid, and/or go for help.

Let's see, .375 h&h or curl up into a ball in the fetal position. Think I would go with the former, and only use the latter when I run out of ammo and cannot find a hole to crawl into.

Yeah, but the pics of the victims that did not survive a bear attack are usually a pile of poo.

Also, there is a difference between "surviving" a bear attack next to your house or somewhere close to civilization versus when when you are in the middle of nowhere. Even more so if there is nobody else around to cart you out of the wilderness, administer first aid, and/or go for help.

Let's see, .375 h&h or curl up into a ball in the fetal position. Think I would go with the former, and only use the latter when I run out of ammo and cannot find a hole to crawl into.

+1.There are also cases of attacks close to home that were fatal,one was a teen girl walking home from a friend's IIRC.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Now; go back and check out my 'reserved' post for pics of aforementioned firearms. (will be ready @ ~ 16:00 EST)

:thumbsup: Great ideas all. Got a chuckle when I saw the harmonica. Later in the thread I realized it would be invaluable for serenading Sarah and playing Taps for our buddy with the gunshot wound to the knee. ;)

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I already have the rifle I'd want to take, a Marlin 1895 SS in 45-70. However, I don't have the right pistol yet. I'd probably want a S&W or Ruger in .44 Magnum with about a 4" barrel.

I told my son about this thread. Over the summer he went backpacking and mountaineering in AK. His response was that the best defense was a good set of hiking boots so you could stay above 2,500 ft...since that's the treeline and bears don't hang out above that altitude.

JoeR

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    If I were going to be in AK long term I would have a 10/22 carbine, and a Ruger 44 Carbine and a S&W model 29 in 44 Mag. I am a big fan of keeping the type of equipment down to a minimum and keeping it lightweight while hiking.

I would even take a Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Quality AR10 like the Rainer RA308 (preferably with a good suppressor) and a S&W revolver in .44 mag.

.308 is readily available and rather capable. AR10's can be configured to be relatively lightweight. Semi auto capability is nice and 20 round magazines should be plenty.

.44 mag is also relatively available and capable, S&W revolvers are quality handguns. No magazines or feeding problems to worry about with revolvers.

If I didn't need the range of a rifle, I would be fine with a quality 12 gauge shotgun (9 round mossbeg 590a1/7 round remington 870 for a pump, 8 round FN SLP for an autoloader)

12 gauge availability is good and you have the versatility of slugs or buckshot.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I already have the rifle I'd want to take, a Marlin 1895 SS in 45-70. However, I don't have the right pistol yet. I'd probably want a S&W or Ruger in .44 Magnum with about a 4" barrel.

I told my son about this thread. Over the summer he went backpacking and mountaineering in AK. His response was that the best defense was a good set of hiking boots so you could stay above 2,500 ft...since that's the treeline and bears don't hang out above that altitude.

JoeR

When did ya get the marlin? :brows:

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I bought it several years ago, at a small gunshop in Orange, Virginia. I have the Marlin and also a Browning 1885 High-Wall in that caliber. I really enjoy reloading for and shooting 45-70 Government. As a history buff, I love the fact that the caliber has been around since 1873, before smokeless powder was invented.

Fear not though, it's not for sale! :lol2: :lol2:

JoeR

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Big ones. Rifle or pistol the caliber needs to be big if you plan on counting on it to survive. No popguns unless they are for 2-legged critters (meaning ARs or AKs). .375 or larger in a rifle and .454 or larger in pistols. You don't want calibers that might give the animals a chance. I consider .44 mag as marginal in a handgun depending on what kind of animals are around. OK except for any areas with Kodiak or brown bears. I lived there as a kid and my dad hunted nearly everything so enough said.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Big ones. Rifle or pistol the caliber needs to be big if you plan on counting on it to survive. No popguns unless they are for 2-legged critters (meaning ARs or AKs). .375 or larger in a rifle and .454 or larger in pistols. You don't want calibers that might give the animals a chance. I consider .44 mag as marginal in a handgun depending on what kind of animals are around. OK except for any areas with Kodiak or brown bears. I lived there as a kid and my dad hunted nearly everything so enough said.

You sorta' mirror my post though a .44 Magnum (8 3/8") with the Sampson (IMI) 240 grain factory load does wonders with deep penetration out to 50 yards. Voice of experience speaking here.:D

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    If I'm taking part in Ultimate Survival Alaska (which is a race involving a three-person team travelling up to 60 miles cross-country in under 60 hours) than I want to travel light and fast, so I only want something for self defense and maybe taking small game. In that case, all three members of the party are armed with bear spray and one member has a .22 pistol or rifle. While I think guns are awesome, they're simply not as effective as bear spray.
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jwmg.342/abstract
    http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/species/mammals/grizzly/bear spray.pdf
    http://www.adn.com/article/are-guns-more-effective-pepper-spray-alaska-bear-attack

Now, if I'm living off the land and homesteading up there, I'd go with a .22 rifle and a high powered rifle for large game. Probably 45-70 because that's what I've got, but maybe a bolt gun in something like .300 RUM.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    1. For hunting:
      1. Blaser R8 in 300 Win Mag with safari open sights & detachable 4-16x scope.
        1. .300 win mag is easily obtained and will take even the largest game
        2. Barrel detaches quickly for a very compact setup. You can break it down and put the entire rifle in a backpack.
        3. You could even entertain taking a 2nd barrel in another caliber like .375 H&H and use the same scope on either barrel.
    2. For hunting or self defense or blowing my head off in case charged by a grizzly:
      1. Good quality .357 Magnum revolver
        1. Action is super reliable
        2. .357 is easily obtained
    3. For survival in case I had to ditch the previous two:
      1. Browning buck mark 22 pistol
      2. .22 ammo is easily obtained and lots of rounds are very light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom