what do you all think of a Judge 3.5" with 410 loads for home defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    let me clarify... the baby's room is about 12 ft. to the right and then another 12 or so ft. straight from my Wife and I's door.

Look up how many sheets of drywall the puny .22lr will go through. For realz, the best defensive firearm, if you are worried about overpenetration, is an ar-15 in a lighter varmint round. They are going fast enough for the projectile to break apart pretty quickly through walls and limit overpenetration. They still cause a good amount of trauma on badguy though. The projectiles are going fast enough to fragment and cause permanent damage by the ripping of the temporary cavity walls.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Yeah... the PDX1 round out of a judge is actually pretty vicious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff-BizqTaOA

I'm not saying it's anywhere near what you'd get unloading Federal Tactical 12 gauge #1 Buck, but for a revolver I can't really say anything bad about it.

Again, it looks impressive when it's shot in to shoot n see targets in an advertisement video....but not when it goes in to a 3 dimentional target made of meat, bone, and blood...where the important things are on the back side of the thoracic cavity and you may need 12" or more to reach them.

Sep 9, 2012
    does anyone use the liberty rounds? Very light grain and supposed to break apart on impact... I think it's 55 grain in a 9mm, but fast, light recoil and it breaks up. Supposedly it's a good round although not cheap. I have 100 rds of HST's coming (along with what I have now) as well as 100 rds of gold dots. The Gold dots do not impress me as much as the HST, though i'm sure it's enough to stop a bad guy, or at the very least make him think twice and get his ass out of my house. However, a nice .44 mag, 45LC, or .454 casuall round someone would not make it out of the house at all.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    does anyone use the liberty rounds? Very light grain and supposed to break apart on impact... I think it's 55 grain in a 9mm, but fast, light recoil and it breaks up. Supposedly it's a good round although not cheap. I have 100 rds of HST's coming (along with what I have now) as well as 100 rds of gold dots. The Gold dots do not impress me as much as the HST, though i'm sure it's enough to stop a bad guy, or at the very least make him think twice and get his ass out of my house. However, a nice .44 mag, 45LC, or .454 casuall round someone would not make it out of the house at all.

Bet ya a $100 you're wrong. You can cut through the walls of most houses with a pocket knife. Bullets are going faster than any knife I've seen.

ETA: whoops I misread.

There are multiple instances of 12 gauge slugs (.72") bouncing off peoples skulls. And single insurgents requiring multiply mags of 5.56 to be put down. Now think how loud a .44 is outside. Inside it will disrupt hearing vision and balance and possibly knock you out due to concussion if you're sensitive or close to a wall. Hope you only get hit by the solitary crackhead. And what if you miss the first shot?

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    I own a Judge. My opinions are here:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=107418

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=1672773

To be honest, I've never fired PDX out of it. Can't see the point in paying for it when I have other well-tested calibers available.

If you want a pistol round, buy a pistol. If you want buckshot, buy a shotgun. If you believe the hype that "MAGIC X PREMIUM DEFENSE AMMO is perfect for home defense because it won't overpenetrate walls!", then I'd like a PM with a comprehensive list of your valuables. Because if you're using ammo that won't penetrate several layers of drywall, it won't penetrate me.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I know where there's a new Judge for sale. It's been there for weeks, at what seems like a reasonable price, during crazy times, with no takers, while hundreds of other guns have flown out the door. Anecdotal but telling.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I'm wondering when the last time you were shot with a pdx round was?

Trick question? :rolleyes: Hopefully never........

Sensible question... Why an Alaskan? A thousand bucks for something outside of target and hopefully never be used for home defense, that is unless you have a lot of money.

Why not a regular Redhawk if you want big bore at least you can also hunt with it and target shoot with a much higher degree of accuracy..

.410.... dumb in theory, just my .02.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I see the Judge as a gimmick, or a snake gun, or a range toy. If it's all I had, it would be pressed into service as the home defense gun, but only if I didn't have something better.

I suspect a lot of people have ideas of loading the first one or two chambers with bird shot, finishing up with more serious rounds, like the HSTs. I think that's a bad idea for lots of reasons. Several reasons were already mentioned: bird shot is not a manstopper, and you need all your rounds to be the best manstoppers available.

Another reason not to use birdshot involves your legal position should you survive. I'm afraid a lot of people will say, "I just want to scare the guy away, or maybe just wound him. I would only use deadly force as a last resort." The problem is that will hang you in court. My limited understanding is that the law doesn't allow warning shots or wounding shots. It's all deadly force, and I need to be able to articulate (after a good night's sleep and with my lawyer present) that I only fired because I was in fear for my life. If you admit you fired a warning shot, or only meant to wound the bad guy, a prosecutor could argue that you just confessed that you were not in fear for your life. By your own admission, you were not justified in using deadly force. Remember, a warning shot is still deadly force.

Forget the gimmicks. Stick with the USP with a back up magazine and a light.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    though i'm sure it's enough to stop a bad guy, or at the very least make him think twice and get his ass out of my house.

This is where I stand on home defense. Any gun is better than no gun at all. Turning a light on will most likely make someone leave. Pointing (any) gun at them more likely will make them leave. Shooting (any) gun at them will definitely make them leave. In the one in a zillion chance that whoever breaks in my house wants to have a gun fight rather than just steal my TV, then yes I'd rather have a long gun loaded to the brim rather than a .410 handgun or any handgun for that matter. Seriously though, I think a lot of us get caught up in a fantasy that we are going to empty a magazine or two of +P HPs into a vicious gang. Yeah I know it could happen and if you want to prepare for the absolute worst then forget about any solution being "good enough" and go straight for the worst case scenario weapon of your choosing.

I know this post sounds a little bit like Shotgun Joe Biden...I'm not saying you'll be OK if you just scare them away. I am saying that practically any center fire handgun will accomplish the goal of stopping the bad guy and yeah I realize this is a minority view on this forum. We love guns and want the best one for the task at hand. I get that.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    This is where I stand on home defense. Any gun is better than no gun at all. Turning a light on will most likely make someone leave. Pointing (any) gun at them more likely will make them leave. Shooting (any) gun at them will definitely make them leave. In the one in a zillion chance that whoever breaks in my house wants to have a gun fight rather than just steal my TV, then yes I'd rather have a long gun loaded to the brim rather than a .410 handgun or any handgun for that matter. Seriously though, I think a lot of us get caught up in a fantasy that we are going to empty a magazine or two of +P HPs into a vicious gang. Yeah I know it could happen and if you want to prepare for the absolute worst then forget about any solution being "good enough" and go straight for the worst case scenario weapon of your choosing.

I know this post sounds a little bit like Shotgun Joe Biden...I'm not saying you'll be OK if you just scare them away. I am saying that practically any center fire handgun will accomplish the goal of stopping the bad guy and yeah I realize this is a minority view on this forum. We love guns and want the best one for the task at hand. I get that.

soooooo.....you have a flashlight and extend your pointer and thumb if someone breaks in to your house?

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    soooooo.....you have a flashlight and extend your pointer and thumb if someone breaks in to your house?

I figured this would stir you up :D

Look I get it about having something adequate in your home to defend your family. I think that we (gun nuts) go a little overboard with how much is enough. That's part of the fun in the hobby. I read ballistic test results and FBI reports and all that stuff. Its interesting to me. At the end of the day though, a decent gun will get the job done and yes, I think the Judge is good enough. Its not my choice by a long shot but I think it will repel bad guys.

Sep 9, 2012
    everyone has their own opinion and that's of course why I asked, and why I have not bought a Judge. I would like to get a revolver, just for the simple fact that MOST of the time you could say that it's going to fire no matter what since it has less chance of a mechanical failure.

BTW I don't own a USP, I was considering that as an option. I own the HK P30L which is a great great gun, and of course loaded with a 147 grain + P HST I would only fire the gun with the intend of killing for the simple fact that the guy came into my house with my Wife and soon to be baby boy. I would kill for that reason alone and I know and have read enough to know that if you shot an HST, and hit anywhere vital... the fight is going to be over. It is quite a vicious round and the way it opens up is the reason why many rate it the absolute best for a 9mm defense round.

I was asking about other rounds because it is true that people cracked up or whatever can take several shots, but will die after they bleed out anyway. If they can get close enough to me, I can handle myself... but the point being is to not let them get there obviously.

Most say a .45 is ideal because of the lesser velocity, but of course the larger hole it will leave. It makes sense, but 2 HST's will still leave a larger hole than 1 .45 round of lesser quality or opening capacity... I can of course see the argument for both, so the .40 was my idea of a good inbetween with the HST, Ranger T, etc as a defense round. The HK was also actually developed around being .40 caliber only gun, only later on did they decide to make it in the 9mm and .45.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    If you'd like a revolver, I'd highly recommend a Ruger GP-100 in .357. There's probably no other revolver round with as many good self defense loads as .357. The .45acp is the poster child for "slow and heavy", the .357 is the poster child for "fast and light".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom