• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fd318

Mar 22, 2010
    Upper Fells Point
    I'm assuming you are going up from 795. If you keep going or make a right out to the main road, there are a few dozen stores a mile down. I didn't know that for a year and only ate at that Arby's on the way back.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Update:

I spent about 2 hours at the Hap Baker range today, and I must say, it was very well managed, and a great place to shoot. The RSO's were very professional, I got the tour, and full setup of procedures, and wasn't treated like a newbie, just, "this is what we do".

Pistol range was kinda short but hey, it was all good. Thanks to everyone who helped me understand what to expect. And BTW, targets are a quarter (honor system!!!!), $10 for CC residents, a scope at every station, what a deal!!!!!!!!!

I will go again, and plan on bringing my daughter there to learn how to shoot.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I was there again this week.

Good time besides the crappy Gen 4 Glock. Wish I had more time to fire my rifle but work was calling.

Didnt feel unsafe at all.

Paperpounder

Jan 12, 2011
    Hampstead, MD / NC
    Went to hap today let about 200 rds go with the ole man and called it a day. First time I have been there in years ill be going back

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I would be thoroughly surprised if someone said anything to you about magazine size. Particularly because they would be WRONG.

I've seen someone shooting a G19 at On Target with a G18 mag. Who cares?

Back to the O.P...what do you need to shoot at Hap Baker? Patience. If you like to rapid fire, or even semi-rapid fire...go elsewhere. The only two times I've ever been there the ROs were being VERY picky about rapid firing.

Someone was next to me shooting a .22LR AR conversion at about a round a second and the RO flipped out.

Then I went to the pistol range and the guy next to me was doing double taps (accelerated pairs, controlled pairs, whatever you want to call them) and the RO came over and yelled at him.

Otherwise its a decent facility and the people there are generally nice.

Just bring targets, guns, ammo, eye and ear protection, and you're set. They do have a vending machine if you get thirsty.

OldSchool1959

MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    Hap Baker

Visited Hap Baker on Friday with a friend. We got there at about 1045 and got right onto the rifle range. There was only one other shooter there when we got started. RSOs displayed a nice balance of commitment to safety with letting us shoot. One RSO even noticed that I was having an issue with my AR and came over to help. (FWIW, I was using PMAG 30 rounders as I am lawfully allowed to do and I heard not one comment.) He was helpful without being condescending and got me back shooting pretty quickly. They were also pretty cool about when to call the range cold so that newer arrivals could place their targets. I will go there again and I will bring my daughters next time.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I was there again this week.

Good time besides the crappy Gen 4 Glock. Wish I had more time to fire my rifle but work was calling.

Didnt feel unsafe at all.

Its funny, last time I was at Free State, they called my Gen 2 Glock 17 an "oldie". Never once has it malfunctioned, with many many rounds through it. Wish you luck with your Gen 4, I'm keeping my "grandpa gun" :D

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Great - Glad you liked it.

I spent about 2 hours at the Hap Baker range today, and I must say, it was very well managed, and a great place to shoot. The RSO's were very professional, I got the tour, and full setup of procedures, and wasn't treated like a newbie, just, "this is what we do".

Pistol range was kinda short but hey, it was all good. Thanks to everyone who helped me understand what to expect. And BTW, targets are a quarter (honor system!!!!), $10 for CC residents, a scope at every station, what a deal!!!!!!!!!

I will go again, and plan on bringing my daughter there to learn how to shoot.

For Fathers Day we ended up at Hap. Three daughters, One son, One wife (only one needed), one son in law and one daughters boyfriend (6'8" - 240). It was a great time. The ladies shot lots of ammo through many pistols and wore out some small bore targets on the rifle range. A very good time.
    Oh - even I got to shot some!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom