What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    you have come a long way with that powder coating. that looks nice
    Thanks, I gave up on what all the big names show with shake and bake and dump in a wire rack. You get bald spots from bullets sticking and bald lines from the rack. I stand them all on their bases on parchment paper and and use ice cube trays for 6.8 and 30 caliber bullets to stand them up.

I look back at the first stuff I did and thought was okay and I shake my head looking at it now.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Love my Inline Fabrications roller handle. The original ball would leave my palm sore after a few successive reloading sessions.

Did have to pull the roller itself off the handle to drip some oil in it when it started "squeeking."
    I did end up doing that about 1k rounds ago. Works even better now. Something I try to remember to do every few thousand rounds is put a couple drops of motor oil on all of the hinge pieces of the press and the ram shaft (that's what she said)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    What I did last night wasn't "at the reloading bench" per se, but it was reloading related.

A couple of months ago, I bought a 12 ga reloading setup from a super nice guy who was selling his setup due to some age-related health concerns. It is an awesome setup - a MEC 9000G progressive shotshell reloader, and a ton of supplies - hulls, wads, primers, powder, shot - it was everything I needed to jump right in and reload.

Last night I bought three 27-gallon totes at Home Depot and made a point to try to organize everything I'd brought home that day in boxes, and that included going through a couple of big boxes of Winchester AA hulls to make sure that they were ok - I ended up tossing a number of them due to cracked or split brass, and some had a level of corrosion on the brass that with everything else that was there, I just didn't feel a need to try to save them.

Everything that went into the totes was geared towards Winchester AA specifically. That's the easiest way to go because it seems like Winchester made a point to make it fairly idiot-proof for loading 1-1/8 oz loads.

-- Winchester AA hull
    -- Winchester (or Claybuster equivalent) AA12 Wad
    -- Winchester 209 primer
    -- Powder - lots of trap load recipes that call for the AA12 wad with 1-1/8 shot that are 1200 fps or slower.

Anyway, by the end of the evening I had everything sorted and categorized in 3 totes, which got a bunch of smaller boxes out of my workshop and cleaned that area up considerably - it was a lot of stuff.

Last edited:

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    What I did last night wasn't "at the reloading bench" per se, but it was reloading related.

A couple of months ago, I bought a 12 ga reloading setup from a super nice guy who was selling his setup due to some age-related health concerns. It is an awesome setup - a MEC 9000G progressive shotshell reloader, and a ton of supplies - hulls, wads, primers, powder, shot - it was everything I needed to jump right in and reload.

Last night I bought three 27-gallon totes at Home Depot and made a point to try to organize everything I'd brought home that day in boxes, and that included going through a couple of big boxes of Winchester AA hulls to make sure that they were ok - I ended up tossing a number of them due to cracked or split brass, and some had a level of corrosion on the brass that with everything else that was there, I just didn't feel a need to try to save them.

Everything that went into the totes was geared towards Winchester AA specifically. That's the easiest way to go because it seems like Winchester made a point to make it fairly idiot-proof for loading 1-1/8 oz loads.

-- Winchester AA hull
    -- Winchester (or Claybuster equivalent) AA12 Wad
    -- Winchester 209 primer
    -- Powder - lots of trap load recipes that call for the AA12 wad with 1-1/8 shot that are 1200 fps or slower.

Anyway, by the end of the evening I had everything sorted and categorized in 3 totes, which got a bunch of smaller boxes out of my workshop and cleaned that area up considerably - it was a lot of stuff.

Good deal. Stay on course with the same load and you'll be fine. I went down several rabbit holes with slugs, buckshot, steel shot, 3", etc. and have a dozen totes now..

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Good deal. Stay on course with the same load and you'll be fine. I went down several rabbit holes with slugs, buckshot, steel shot, 3", etc. and have a dozen totes now..
    I had some other hulls - Federal and some Activ hulls, but the Activ hulls hold more than the Winchester, so for the moment the only thing I'm going to load are the Winchester AA and the big ol box of Peters Blue Magic hulls I was lucky enough to get. Everything I read said to reload those just like an AA, and so far it seems to be performing exactly the same way.

In any case, I have SO many AA hulls, there's really no need to develop a load for any other hull.

The one thing I am going to try - and this is mostly for my wife who is a little more recoil-sensitive than I am - is that I'm going to try moving from 1-1/8 oz of #7.5 to a 1 oz load of #8.

Everything I've read seems to agree that from the 16-yard line, I'll break just as many birds with the 1 oz as the 1-1/8 oz, and if I move to the #8 shot, I'll have pretty much the same number of pellets as with the #7.5.

That's what I'm going to try anyway - I just received (literally about 10 minutes ago) a bag of 500 Claybuster wads that copy the Win AA12SL wad, along with a MEC 1 oz shot bar.

I started assembling my portable single stage setup for cripples at my dining room table. It will be clamped in place and can be removed/hidden before my wife gets home from work.
    (I am recovering from a major hip surgery and don't yet feel comfortable using steps when I am home alone.)
    20240229_153008.jpg

missedthebarn

Jan 1, 2021
    I started assembling my portable single stage setup for cripples at my dining room table. It will be clamped in place and can be removed/hidden before my wife gets home from work.
    (I am recovering from a major hip surgery and don't yet feel comfortable using steps when I am home alone.)
    View attachment 457746
    Hope you heal quickly, two TV trays kept me from being killed by the wife.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    View attachment 457746
    Yep..done that many times ..only thing I got "busted" before I could pack it up. Just by looking at the table, that would be the least worries. The other half would have my *ss, wouldn't worry about the hip, she'd be doing PT on me chasing me..

-Rock

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Here's a fun one. When I bought the shotshell press, I was gifted a number of pounds of Alliant Red Dot (manufactured in 1995 based on the date on the container) and with the amount of trap me and my wife have been shooting, I decimated that powder, leaving just dregs in the bottle on the press. When I weighed out what was left, I found I had just a touch over 70 gr of powder left.

Today, I trickled the powder onto the scale and put together 4 more shotshells with the very last of that powder:

Hull: Win AA
    Primer: Win 209
    Wad: Win AA12
    Powder: 18.0 gr Red Dot
    Shot: #7.5
    Projected Performance: 1160 fps (According to the Lyman manual)

I know - kinda dumb, but I hate wasting any reloading components, and even if I can't do a full run, I'll do as many as I can with the dregs of what's left.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Logged in my latest bullet (head) deal, $135 for the lot, shipped.
    3/9/2024​
    Bullet​
    Hot Core 150Gr SP​
    Speer​
    49​
    3/9/2024​
    Bullet​
    215Gr SP​
    Woodliegh​
    56​
    3/9/2024​
    Bullet​
    200Gr SP RBT​
    Lapua​
    82​
    plus :
    Bullet​
    .311 174Gr FMJ​
    Hornady #3131​
    270​

Last edited:

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Tumbled brass today. Retrieved my processed 7.62x39 from the shed and it had a tarnished patina to them. Wet tumbler got them looking like gold again.

9ed3a3a3-f8a4-4029-8770-965cd7de1021.jpg

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Loaded up 30 9x39mm rounds - Speer 270 gr Hot Cor bullets, 6 powders, 5 different charge weights for each powder. Goal is to find the charge weight for each powder that gives about 1025 fps.

Also loaded 30 350 Legend - 250 gr Hornady Sub-X bullets, 10 each of 3 different powders for accuracy testing.

Planning a range trip tomorrow with 9x39 and 350L AR pistols and my black powder rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom