What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob00taws6

Apr 4, 2013
    I caught Blue disease years ago and never looked back. Dillon makes TANKS and they offer rehab/cleaning service if you really work em hard. Do yourself a favor and order a spare parts kit. It will keep your party from coming to an unexpected halt.

And NEVER force the handle up when it doesn't want to go. It will break the indexing ring. That's the weakest link in the press. I keep at least one or two spares on hand.

That’s good to know, thanks! I have a few more things to pick up before I can safely start, but we’re getting there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Started getting my 6yr old son involved with me sorting 5.56 brass by headstamp for different loads, explaining to him the different types for different purposes

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Started getting my 6yr old son involved with me sorting 5.56 brass by headstamp for different loads, explaining to him the different types for different purposes
    I hope he can stay focused better than my now 12 year old. The kid loves to shoot and it pretty good at it, but I can only keep him at the bench for 10-15 minutes at a time.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    And NEVER force the handle up when it doesn't want to go. It will break the indexing ring. That's the weakest link in the press. I keep at least one or two spares on hand.
    Armanov is apparently making aluminum indexing rings now. I am both intrigued and terrified, because if the indexing ring doesn't break, I don't know what's going to instead. But spares are certainly a requirement.

Anyways, on topic, I loaded up about 500 rounds of 9mm between last night and today. 400 rounds were my usual 124gr FMJ loads, the other 100 were a test run of the 115gr plated Streak projos I bought from CDVS. I pretty much just leave the press alone when switching bullets... 4.0gr TG and loading ~1.10 OAL is fine for 115s and 124s in general, I just chrono it later to see exactly what I wound up with. Not shooting bullseye matches here.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Armanov is apparently making aluminum indexing rings now. I am both intrigued and terrified, because if the indexing ring doesn't break, I don't know what's going to instead. But spares are certainly a requirement.

Anyways, on topic, I loaded up about 500 rounds of 9mm between last night and today. 400 rounds were my usual 124gr FMJ loads, the other 100 were a test run of the 115gr plated Streak projos I bought from CDVS. I pretty much just leave the press alone when switching bullets... 4.0gr TG and loading ~1.10 OAL is fine for 115s and 124s in general, I just chrono it later to see exactly what I wound up with. Not shooting bullseye matches here.
    Suspect that the rings from armanov are cast or injection molded. They will probably still break. If they don't, the index stop will likely be the weak point. The spring loaded steel piece that rides inside the index ring.

I'd be interested in someone like armanov making a shellplate and ejector arm that are more finely machined/polished. The hangups I seem to get with 9mm are mostly failures to eject. They bind in the shellplate as the ejector pushing them out of it, usually at a slight angle. I don't have a way to machine a finer finish version of the shellplate.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'd be interested in someone like armanov making a shellplate and ejector arm that are more finely machined/polished. The hangups I seem to get with 9mm are mostly failures to eject. They bind in the shellplate as the ejector pushing them out of it, usually at a slight angle. I don't have a way to machine a finer finish version of the shellplate.
    Yeah, that would be good. The other thing I'd very much like to see is an improved priming depth system for the 650. It's just too hard to really consistently smoosh primers deep in a 650, which is one of the major reasons I'm considering an a Dillon 1100 or Apex 10 (the other is on-press swage, of course).

blazing lead

Nov 29, 2018
    Cecil county
    IMG_20240101_151144807.jpg

Just got done loading 4k 9mm for this year. I been working on it over the past couple days. Only got about 6k more to go. I ran out of clean brass so I just washed some more. Now I'm gonna rest my arm for a bit

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Yeah, that would be good. The other thing I'd very much like to see is an improved priming depth system for the 650. It's just too hard to really consistently smoosh primers deep in a 650, which is one of the major reasons I'm considering an a Dillon 1100 or Apex 10 (the other is on-press swage, of course).
    I don't prime on press (yeah I know, slow) after my buddy blew his 650 up. I sure don't blame you for wanting to upgrade, either. I just can't justify more than a 650/750 class at this point.
    View attachment 447549

Just got done loading 4k 9mm for this year. I been working on it over the past couple days. Only got about 6k more to go. I ran out of clean brass so I just washed some more. Now I'm gonna rest my arm for a bit
    I feel inferior.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    As an opportunist I utilized my high dollar dryer after ultrasonic cleaning. Then loaded some 45/70 350gr HCGC with 38 gr of LT-32.
    dryer.jpg

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I picked up a shotshell loading package used here on the classifieds, and I've been doing some basic fiddling with the press, checking it out, seeing what it does, and in general trying to learn what I need to do to load up some of the shotshell hulls that also came with the package.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    I picked up a shotshell loading package used here on the classifieds, and I've been doing some basic fiddling with the press, checking it out, seeing what it does, and in general trying to learn what I need to do to load up some of the shotshell hulls that also came with the package.
    Shotgun reloading is straight forward, depending on model of press. What ya pickup?
    One tip though, place a cookie sheet under the press, not a flat one but one that has a lip all the way around, just in case you forget something, it keeps the shot in a nice "contained" place, no.7.5 & 8 is a pain to clean when it goes everywhere.

-Rock

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Shotgun reloading is straight forward, depending on model of press. What ya pickup?
    One tip though, place a cookie sheet under the press, not a flat one but one that has a lip all the way around, just in case you forget something, it keeps the shot in a nice "contained" place, no.7.5 & 8 is a pain to clean when it goes everywhere.

-Rock
    I picked up a MEC 9000G and all kinds of other goodies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom