• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CaptainVane

Mar 4, 2023
    Perry Hall
    Back when I had my Hawken it was real black powder and a flint.
    Now i reading that real BP has become a dinosaur and synthetic loads have taken over. Triple7, some 209 stuff. 40 grains of BP aint 40 grains anymore. And dont get me started on different percussion caps matching to the type of synthetic powder.
    Used to be simple. My head is spinning!

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    you can still get black powder , it's just hard to find . i'd call clyde's sports shop on the other side of town first , ( hammonds ferry road ) if not shyda's in harrisburg . edit , you can call the saint firearms in essex for substitutes .

CaptainVane

Mar 4, 2023
    Perry Hall
    Ya, real bp is highly corrosive. This new stuff says way less corrosive and less smoky. Learning curve ahead, i just don’t want to explode the pistol.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Back when I had my Hawken it was real black powder and a flint.
    Now i reading that real BP has become a dinosaur and synthetic loads have taken over.

What are you exactly complaining of? The fact that there are muzzleloaders that, when using BP replacements in pelleted form and Sabots with sub-caliber bullets, generate more muzzle velocity and are "easier" to reload? Are you complaining that there were muzzleloaders (Savage made one) that used smokeless powders?

Inline-Muzzleloaders with BP-replacements became popular due to the muzzleloader regulations on hunting. You get something that feels like your cartidge rifle, that shoots flatter and further than the old smokestick and can be cleaned easier? Guess what 90% of hunters will use.

Your old stuff will still work. If you want to shoot a flintlock, get a flintlock and go shoot it. It will still work just back when you had to pick it up due to the brits showing up. The downside is just a little bit more cleaning.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Confused cause i read original BP is hard to find but new stuff while much better i not sure what to use.

What kind of muzzleloader are you using it in?

Flintlock - at least prime with BP
    percussion side lock - replacements can work, your milage may vary.
    inline - replacements will work

My personal opinion is strongly biased towards BP. Nonethless, if you use a percussion or inline muzzle loader and Pryodex or 777 are available in your area, feel free to use those.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I have 3 BP guns. All have only been shot with the Pyrodex substitute. Still measures the same, volume. One is Hawken style with percussion cap the other two are In lines that use pellets and 209 primers. Pretty easy to use. Still have to clean at the end of the day, no big deal though.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    OP mentioned flintlock TC Hawken in opening post. Pre-inline era. Thinking he likely only remembers a time when black powder, and maybe to include Pyrodex a bit later on, were all that was available. Thinking 70's or 80's??? Guessing....

But then he shifted. He is apparently actually asking about percussion pistol powder recommendations. See his
    post 3.

Ya, real bp is highly corrosive. This new stuff says way less corrosive and less smoky. Learning curve ahead, i just don’t want to explode the pistol.

Treedoc1

Jan 30, 2020
    "Ya, real bp is highly corrosive. This new stuff says way less corrosive and less smoky. Learning curve ahead, i just don’t want to explode the pistol."

Old wives tale. 777 and pyrodex are more corrosive than black. I have gone an entire cowboy shooting season with out a detail clean on Ruger Vaqeuros, 1873 toggle link Winchester, 1887 lever Winchester shotgun and assorted SXS. Ballistol and water spritzed and wiped down after the match. A good organic non petroleum based lube is needed. The corrosive properties came from early primer salts. Primers today, not so corrosive.

Ok contrarians...flame away.

Attachments

• App showdown.PNG
      App showdown.PNG
      251.7 KB · Views: 64

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    Used to be primitive hunting years ago when I hunted with my first CVA. Blackpowder and round ball and #11 cap. Now not so primitive. So easy to load now with these break open in lines.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Ok contrarians...flame away.

Primers are just one component, the other is the burn residue of SP. The major adversial component is potassium hydroxide which is not just sufficiently hygroscopic also tends to be quite aggressive towards metals. Additionally, you always get an incomplete burn from the sulfur in the mixture and combined with moisture sulfurous acid in very small quantitites.

So yeah, just the burn residue is not really nice on the gun. In late-summer humidity, you do want to do something about it rather sooner than later.

I'll just smoke away and clean afterwards :-)

flintlock.jpg

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    As mentioned in another post...BP is my specialty and I'm likely the only shop in MD that specializes in it. Would be glad to help if you need it..and will certainly save you money over internet sales...

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Just a few notes on what I remember when getting setup a few years ago.

Just get FFF BP for your Remington Navy.

Get a good measure and powder flask. I like the ones by Ted Cash

Get a couple good nipple wrenches and break the stock nipples loose before firing. The folks at Uberti must use a 12 ft cheater to tighten them. Consider anti-seize for the threads but may not be necessary.

Remington #10 caps seem to fit the stock nipples best.

Order stainless nipples from Track Of the Wolf that are designed for CCI #11 caps. CCI caps always seemed easier to find. Not sure now a days. I had to file the slot on one of the nipple wrenches for a good fit. Standard caps are fine but CCI magnums were more prevelant when I loaded up years ago. They both work fine with BP. Maybe theere is an accuracy difference but I just do it for fun.

Get some Bore Butter or similar non petroleum grease and lube the cylinder pin (On a colt it's called an arbor, I forget if same on the Remington). I have found the need to remove the cylinder and reapply more grease after a couple cylinder fulls unlike a Colt with the thicker ribbed arbor).

Round balls from say Hornady are .375. I have found larger diameter balls seal better and give you that thin shave ring of lead. For that you will need to go boutique like track of the wolf for that. I think I've used .376 and .380. At least on an Uberti Colt Navy I have. My Uberti Remington is a .44 cal. Hornady make more sizes in .44.

I like the felt wads and add some bore butter to them to seal the chamber.

I use a wooden dowel to seat the caps in the off chance the cap goes off I don't want a jet flame of BP searing my thumb. There is at least one pic online that taught be that.

In case you need to remove caps on live chambers, have a brass or wooden wedge of some kind to pry them off if they are tight.

All of the above is just what I learned. Not all of it is necessary as far as buying more stuff but I feel like it makes it more enjoyable.

Oh, have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom