• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    picked up AR Lower yesterday....

.... considering my options next. Along the lines of this thread, how about if I use a gas piston instead of direct impingement, would I then need to build up with a heavy barrel?

Thank you!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    .... considering my options next. Along the lines of this thread, how about if I use a gas piston instead of direct impingement, would I then need to build up with a heavy barrel?

Thank you!

Great question. I don't have the answer.

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    Thanks for the reply. To continue the confusion, does a SOCOM profile barrel mean its a heavy barrel?

SCDoGo

Dec 6, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. To continue the confusion, does a SOCOM profile barrel mean its a heavy barrel?

I don't have an answer, but interesting question. After a quick look, the Colt SOCOM barrel seems heavier than a M4/gov't profile, but lighter than the HBAR. It has the thicker portion under the hand guards, but not near the breach.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    1) Muzzle brake/flash suppressor has to be PERMANENTLY installed to count. Meaning silver soldered or pinned and welded.

2) Nowhere is there ANY dimensions for the barrel specified. If the manufacturer says it is a "heavy" barrel, it IS an HBAR. If they say it is mid weight or say nothing, no matter what the dimensions, you could be skirting an issue.

Yes, we do.

Some will follow the law. Some will not. It will be hard for the state to prove either way.

But those who do follow the law, will sleep better. :)

You are of course right, but, at the cost of being this guy...:lol2:
    image.jpg

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    So I guess I'm wondering how many parts have to be different? When I was looking at buying a Sig AR one gun shop told me that if I buy the piston version I would be gtg....

Here is what I'm thinking about building:
    Side Charging upper
    Gas Piston
    16" or 18 "barrel with muzzle brake, Profile tbd (SOCOM, HBAR, or fluted HBAR)

Would the side charging upper combined with Gas Piston be different enough that any barrel profile would pass an inspection?

Last edited:

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County

if the manufacturer advertised that it was a "Heavy SOCOM Barrel" or "SOCOM Heavy Barrel" it would meet the letter of the law in MD as a heavy barrel as per the VERY limited guidance given by the MSP. It would help if it had HBAR stamped into the barrel for the just in case.

as mentioned earlier, the SOCOM barrel is heavier, but it is not what colt considers a heavy barrel for the AR-15 rifle platform.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I was just looking at the below barrel from Faxon. Notice in the name and description is says heavy. In the barrel profile description is says heavy fluted... So gtg?

http://faxonfirearms.com/16-heavy-fluted-5-56-nato-mid-length-416-r-stainless-steel-qpq/

It looks to me that in the middle picture(showing the inscription), after the word NATO appears an H as in Heavy Barrel. Not much to go on, I know. It's worth a phone call at the very least. It looks good to me...

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    Thanks. I was on the phone with them and read your post, the rep went and looked at the barrel and what looks like an "H" is apparently a "1-8" stamp for the twist...

hmmm

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks. I was on the phone with them and read your post, the rep went and looked at the barrel and what looks like an "H" is apparently a "1-8" stamp for the twist...

hmmm

Ah! So they are not saying(in writing) that it is an H-Bar? That's too bad. Looked like a nice barrel. Have you looked at DEZ Arms barrels? I have two and they shoot pretty well.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It all depends on what is more important to you...what you're primary use will be. I have no problem shooting 69gr projectiles from my 1:9 bbls. Any heavier I tend to get fliers. Some guys can go a little heavier but I'm referring to the DEZ barrels. I have no experience with the other barrels you mention so hopefully someone else can chime in for you.

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    I have read lots of discussions, But still am not sure of the correct answers. n the MSP "opinion

Simply put,
    1. Can one build legally an SBR with an overall length less than 29" on an AR lower purchased before Oct 1 2013 (preban)? (assuming Federal paperwork for SBR approved).

2. Does it make a difference if the SBR as above is built as a different caliber than .223/5.56?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    1. No
    2. No

The exception would be a manually operated rifle built upon AR-ish platform.. Think no gas port or tube,, pull charging handle to cycle.

Or a lower with no mag well for single shot only. You could then run a gas system to be auto ejecting. ( then drop round in chamber, hit bolt release.)

Of course if you go the manually operated route, a bolt or lever platform probably better way to go .

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Is it correct that an AR SBR overall length is measured with the collapsible stock extended?
    That's correct. The 29" OAL is with the stock extended. In MD, with a 29" length - typically permits for a 10.5" barrel. Like anything else, there's games you can play - longer buttstock/buffer tube. The ATF reviews your submission in accordance with MD law - and will reject/ask that you update your form if under 29".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom