• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Right_to_arm_bears

OIF, OND, & OEF Vet.
    Nov 13, 2012
    MD
    Hi everyone,

I haven't posted here in months but the latest legislation I am reading about has me troubled. I, like many people here am a veteran who now works for the government. There are so many things I want to say and do but can't due to fear of losing my job. What can a person like me do to help protect the 2nd amendment without ending up on some gun control advocates hit list?

On a side note, I have attached a picture of some of my soldiers posing with O'Malley back when we were in Iraq. I thought it was ironic how he was surrounded by the very things he hates.

Attachments

• 5351_10151380976058030_2125319357_n.jpg
      5351_10151380976058030_2125319357_n.jpg
      34.7 KB · Views: 156

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Theres a lot you can do.. There are a lot of govies on here. Check out the Hatch Act. Shows you what you can and can't do. Your HR or General Counsel can help too with your questions. The big things to do are write, call, fax, visit your reps and also join MSI, SAF, NRA etc.... and this is just a start.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I work for the government too. A few of my co-workers are MDS members as well.

Talk to your ethics people. Unless you are SES, you are much less restricted. Just whatever you do, keep the Hatch Act in mind and don't do anything at work or on government equipment.

Right_to_arm_bears

OIF, OND, & OEF Vet.
    Nov 13, 2012
    MD

Talk to your ethics people. Unless you are SES, you are much less restricted. Just whatever you do, keep the Hatch Act in mind and don't do anything at work or on government equipment.

I know a lot of people who are in a similar situation as I am. Educated professionals who are also gun enthusiasts. I think it must be a terrifying prospect for some of the people in office to imagine that not every gun owner is the stereotypical redneck who is "clinging to their Bible and guns"...

I appreciate all the suggestions and will pass it along to like-minded people I work with.

SamW

Apr 2, 2007
    Western Md
    "I thought it was ironic how he was surrounded by the very things he hates."

As long as they are protecting him, he's OK with it.

Just a few rules of thumb

Yes - also remember to not have any article of clothing on or have anything around your office/desk that can be considered "political". That's hard to define but err on the side of caution: i.e. an NRA logo on a mug could be seen as political by someone. Note that there is an explicit exception for stickers on personal owned vehicles. You can have an NRA bumpersticker on your car even if parked on government property.

There is a lot you can do, as long as it is on your own time, off campus (or out of buildings) and not using government property - especially never use any issued laptops/phones. That includes joining political groups and donating money.

kmx2600

Jan 27, 2013
    Some simple things you can do.

1. Visit mdelect.net and look up your delegates and senators. It lists phone and fax. Then give them a call. A simple message of "Hi I'm X, and I live in your district. I'm a registered Dem/Rep. I kindly request that A votes against SB281. If the senator or delegate has voted for SB281 I won't be voting for him/her in future elections

2. Visit https://campaignfinancemd.us and look up the contact information for PAC donors to the Senator or Delegate in your district. Then call the treasurer or chairman of the group. Ask them if they are aware that their Senator or Delegate they contributed to is voting in favor of SB281, and if that is something they want those representatives to support. If they say yes, thank them for their time, if they say no, ask them to call that Senator or Delegate and tell them they won't be funding future campaigns. I try to make about 10 of these a day while on smoke breaks.

3. Join MSI (www.marylandshallissue.org) or just donate.

4. Write an Op-Ed for your local news paper using the SB281 pamphlet as source material from MSI.

5. Monitor the threads here for additional actions. Hopefully, there will be some organization around 2014 elections. There are at least 8 seats that have been uncontested in the past. Hopefully, Pro-2a candidates can be found for those districts and run in 2014. If that happens I'd assume there will be PAC's (political activist committees) that will need donations of time and money.

Hopefully, that helps with what you can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom