• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    One of my Sgts I worked for at MD DOC used a S&W M&P 40 to kill a hog one year. He had shoulder surgery and couldn't use a rifle.

rob257

Jan 17, 2013
    North Central Carroll Co.
    Dog Hunting Hogs & a Rifle

Remington 760 pump in 35 Remington or Rem 870 12 Ga with "00". No scope. Field hunting from a blind any caliber .25 and above...Scoped. Dog Hunting for 'Hogs' in the Carolina's ain't for the 'faint of heart' or old fat guys.:rolleyes:

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I have hunted hogs with 12 gauge, .308 and 300blk. All of them kill hogs just fine. My go to gun is the 300blk, with 110gr or 115gr Lehigh Defense Controlled Chaos. Other guys I hint with had their doubts about .300blk until they saw how effective the Lehigh round was. I have had a few of them switch to 300blk. Its light, accurate and deadly out to 300 yards. The .308 is overkill and a bitch to lug around. The 12 gauge is light but recoil was awful and you can't easily mount accessories like lights/nightvison etc.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    Lets see... I have killed pigs with...

longbow, compound bow, spear, knife, 41mag, 45lc, 7mmTCU, 35rem, .270, .308, 30-30, 12ga.... and watched the neighbor's cousin kill one with .17hmr... Its all dependent on shot placement really.

If its with dogs, use a handgun. On a stand/blind use your deer hunting rifle. Just remember, vitals are lower then deer AND on boars there is a "shield" of fat/scar-tissue there.

Use what you are comfortable with, and have fun.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Back in 2013 we went on a hunt in Georgia...Each of the 5 of us that all used .300blk, which worked well when one guy took out two pigs from about 60 yards. As others have stated there are alot of hog hunters out there who swear by the 300Blk caliber

One night the guide took two of us out on a night hunt with two AR's set up with Nightvision scopes. We didnt get to take any shots with those but he mentioned that those two guns had killed alot of hogs. They were 5.56/.223 caliber

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    I used a 300 Blk when I went on a hog hunt in Georgia. I was please by the results, 2 hogs with one shot. They were not anything to brag about but they sure were tasty. I tried to look for the pics of the bullet wounds but I must have deleted them.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    i have killed hogs with a 22 but I don't recommend it and now at my age I wouldn't dare. a 44 mag will take any hog with correct shot placement. I now prefer my old 30 30, but that's just me.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I used a 300 Blk when I went on a hog hunt in Georgia. I was please by the results, 2 hogs with one shot. They were not anything to brag about but they sure were tasty. I tried to look for the pics of the bullet wounds but I must have deleted them.

Weird, I shot a deer with factory Barnes 110 gr @ 75 yards and didn't get a pass through. This was out of a 10.5" barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom