• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Ammo for either is pretty easy to find.

If you reload I would go 06 hands down as I have bullets from 110-175 and they go up to at least 220 for the 06. Yes the 270 is a little flatter but the availability of 30 cal components along with being such a long lived and former military caliber makes finding 06 ammo and components pretty easy.

270 is a strong performer as well but and I'm not putting it down but big game in north america 06 fits the bill pretty much all around. Just find the load that suites you.

06 is also a great caliber to load down for younger shooters to shoot lighter loads with....
    Dont forget sabots! I think you can still get them in 06/.224.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I'd say 30.06. With surplus ammo still available, practicing with the 30.06 is much more affordable.

And while you can definitely take an elk with a 270, I prefer a heavier bullet in 30.06.

Also, if you ever get into US military firearms (1903A3, Garand, etc.), you'll have one less caliber to keep track of.

Duck

Apr 11, 2012
    Baltimore
    I bought a 270 700 BDL. when I was 13 (saved my allowance). For 42 years that rifle has taken deer ground hogs and punched paper. I have stayed with the same ammo 130 grain winchester pointed power points. They shoot the best in my rifle. For me this was my choice based on ballistics. I did finally brake-down and bought a 3006 (REM.700) but its not ready for this season. Read the ballistic tables look at the bullet wts. and make and informative choice pick a rifle thats in your budget and feels right to you. And skimp on the optics!

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Split the difference between the 270 and the '06 and look at the .280 Rem. I have all three and I seem to reach for the .280 Rem more than the others.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    If you are truly talking bear, and possibly elk, 30-06 is the safer bet of the two.
    There is plenty of available load selection in both, but if you add larger game, stay with the 30-06

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    If recoil is a factor look at the .270 Winchester. I had two over the years. Worked fine for black bear and deer, never went Elk hunting. On the other hand I have the more rifle kills (big game) with .30-06.

Good Luck

Jerry

OnHoPr

Oct 20, 2013
    SE MI
    Since the .270 uses the 06 brass and doesn't really add anything one way or the other.... go with the original. Trajectory is negligible, for REALLY heavy game the 200 or 220 gr bullet is boss. The .270 doesn't come close.

Jack O'Conner would disagree with everything I've said but he's dead and hasn't had a cognizant thought in decades therefore making me right.

:rofl:

He (Jack) also didn't think the 264 WM was a better open range cartridge than the 270 as well when it came down to longer range shooting, he said to just get closer with the 270.:bs:

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    I own, and have used my browning bolt action 30-06 every year for 20 years.

The caliber was recommended to me by my in-laws in Kentucky.

Very accurate ( always have been fortunate with one shot downing deer/yet to miss - but it does kick like a mule with heavy hunting loads.

Never shot 270 so cannot offer comparison.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    :rofl:

He (Jack) also didn't think the 264 WM was a better open range cartridge than the 270 as well when it came down to longer range shooting, he said to just get closer with the 270.:bs:

Well he also liked the 7X57 Mauser and I won't fault him there. That was a great round..... similar to the 7mm08.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Since the .270 uses the 06 brass and doesn't really add anything one way or the other.... go with the original. Trajectory is negligible, for REALLY heavy game the 200 or 220 gr bullet is boss. The .270 doesn't come close.

Jack O'Conner would disagree with everything I've said but he's dead and hasn't had a cognizant thought in decades therefore making me right.

:lol2:

Yeah, 'Ol Jack would be raising hell all right!

This question has been debated almost since the time when Christ was a carpenter. Either rifle would suit the OP just fine for the tasks described. Should he take up handloading, or may have a rare (for these parts) need for bullet weights in the 200 and 220 grain flavors, or if he's a one rifle guy, the '06 has a versatility edge. Otherwise, for what's been described, pick one. BOTH are fine cartridges!

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    :lol2:

Yeah, 'Ol Jack would be raising hell all right!

This question has been debated almost since the time when Christ was a carpenter. Either rifle would suit the OP just fine for the tasks described. Should he take up handloading, or may have a rare (for these parts) need for bullet weights in the 200 and 220 grain flavors, or if he's a one rifle guy, the '06 has a versatility edge. Otherwise, for what's been described, pick one. BOTH are fine cartridges!

True they ARE both fine cartridges and I'm a one rifle guy...... sort of. ;) Just happens most of my rifles are in 06, they never issued a 270 Garand... at least to me anyways. .276 almost but that don't count.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom